Talk

Advanced search

Girls names Rosanna

(15 Posts)
lucindasawyer Wed 12-Aug-15 14:45:52

I love the name Rosanna, however I don't like the various names that it can be shortened too. For example, Rosie, Rose, Anna, Ann etc. I either knew someone with the name or the name is rather common. Does anyone else know any variants of the name or what else it can be shortened too?

GerundTheBehemoth Wed 12-Aug-15 14:55:59

I love the name too. It was nearly my middle name but parents went with Rosalind instead. I suppose you could shorten Rosanna to Rosa, which is also lovely (IMHO) - however, the only Rosanna I know doesn't use an abbreviation.

sweetpeame Wed 12-Aug-15 16:22:03

I don't have any nn suggestions but just wanted to say I love the name Rosanna! It's elegant and not particularly popular. I know onw who is about 6 months and it hasn't be shortened so far. If I had used the name I wouldn't have shortened it either, beautiful as it is.

willconcern Wed 12-Aug-15 16:25:02

I know two, and neither shortens her name. I like it.

ImperialBlether Wed 12-Aug-15 16:26:10

Roseanne is lovely, too. Rosie or Rosa or Annie are really lovely. There's nothing common about those names.

Really, though, if you've got Rose and you've got Anna then you are limited to variations on those names as abbreviations!

whereshouldibuybee Wed 12-Aug-15 16:26:44

My cousin's name is Rosanna and it doesn't get shortened to anything smile

Coffeemarkone Wed 12-Aug-15 16:26:54

I like it - there was one in my class years ago but have not heard it since.

OneoftheseBoxes Wed 12-Aug-15 16:42:56

I know of a shortening to Roz, if that helps! I love the name Rosanna.

LarrytheCucumber Thu 13-Aug-15 18:48:45

Only one I know of is referred to as Ro. Rosanna is a lovely name without shortening.

villainousbroodmare Thu 13-Aug-15 18:53:15

Lovely.

littlejohnnydory Thu 13-Aug-15 19:12:00

It's dd's middle name, chosen by her big sister. I like it a lot but prefer Rosamund! Knew a Rosanna at uni shortened to Ros. No need for a nn though.

LaraNotCroft22 Thu 13-Aug-15 20:17:07

My sister is Rosannah and she gets Zannah sometimes which I like. X

dementedma Thu 13-Aug-15 20:19:16

Dd1 is Rosanna, but known as Rosie. ( or Dodies, according to ds's first attempt at saying her name.)

clarabellski Fri 14-Aug-15 15:04:04

I know a Rosanna who is Zan (I only found out her name was Rosanna after a few months of knowing her as she introduced herself as Zan which I thought was her actual name!).

I also think it is a beautiful name shortened or otherwise. I may steal! wink

SmugairleRoin Fri 14-Aug-15 21:28:38

The problem with this for you is that once you give the name to your dd, it becomes hers and she may choose one of those names as a nickname. It's your choice to make when she's younger, not so much when she grows up a little.

If you are happy with that, all good, if you really think you'd hate this I wouldn't use it.?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now