Talk

Advanced search

Delphie/Delphi

(14 Posts)
Dixiebell Tue 11-Aug-15 15:40:34

What do you think? I know Delphi is the place, but I kind of like it with the 'e' on the end, it looks more feminine somehow, like Sophie, Millie, Katie etc...Also we came at it from trying to think of flower names (Delphinium), rather than the place in Greece. Aaaanyway, like or not?

SmugairleRoin Tue 11-Aug-15 15:42:40

I'd use it as a nickname rather than a full name. It reminds me of Trixie, Milly etc and feels unfinished.

HopOnTheMonnerBus Tue 11-Aug-15 15:55:19

I'd stick with Delphi. Delphie looks like you can't spell.

A nice name though, I think it's pretty without being overly girly.

daisydalrymple Tue 11-Aug-15 16:14:57

Spelt delphie with the e at the end in the darcey bussell magic ballerina books smile dd would love it. I think it looks incorrect without the e to be honest.

ACatCalledFang Tue 11-Aug-15 17:14:53

How about Delphine? That's a French name I've always liked, no idea how popular it is in France these days but it sounds good in English too.

StealthPolarBear Tue 11-Aug-15 17:16:40

It's also a programming language . Wouldn't bother me but just so you know

I think it's pretty. No E.

marinacortina Tue 11-Aug-15 18:30:26

I would choose Delphine. You can then abbreviate it if you wish, but she will have a proper traditional name. Delphine is lovely, and not used much in the UK. I've only ever met one.

VixxFace Tue 11-Aug-15 18:31:18

I like it. Delphie.

mammmamia Tue 11-Aug-15 18:40:53

I really like it but it rhymes with 'selfie'

Dixiebell Tue 11-Aug-15 19:20:46

Haha, thanks for the views. I don't have a problem with it being a 'nn' type name. DS2 has what some people would call a nn, I just like it and don't like the longer versions; my view is if you're going to call them that, no point in choosing a longer formal name that will never get used. For some reason I'm not as keen on Delphine. Not bothered that it rhymes with selfie or is a programming language! It's also a Mulberry bag, I think I'll go with that association grin. I'm still leaning towards the version with an e. I'm liking that it's v.unusual, but easy to pronounce. I have names like Effie and Essie on my list so I suppose it's a similar sound to that.

daisydalrymple Tue 11-Aug-15 21:48:56

It's so popular in our house and I've read the books to dd so often that I really like the name now, and I agree with you about the 'e' without it, it makes me think of a maths problem for some reason!?! smile just looks more finished with the e.

reuset Wed 12-Aug-15 12:12:48

It's a bit naff and a weak name to me, and more of a nick name with that spelling. It's the central character in those awful Delphie Ballerina books, too.

Coffeemarkone Wed 12-Aug-15 12:16:23

Delphi - like the Oracle?
I wouldn't. didn't the Oracle of Delphi sit on a volcano with her head spinning screaming out advice in a high pitched wail? or something.

As for spelling it 'Delphie' I am sorry but it just looks like a made up name, or that you cannot spell. Also it just looks weak and wibbly.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now