Talk

Advanced search

Please pick one of my girls and boys names!

(40 Posts)
Queazy Sat 08-Aug-15 19:35:57

Hi,

We've finally got a shortlist, and I thought I'd see what people here thought smile Please can you let me know if there are any you particularly like on my lists? I like classic names but preferably not very common (I live in south East London and lots of Harry's, Isabelle's and Leo's).

Madeleine
Beatrix
Genevieve
Neve/Neave
Isabelle

Alexander
Sebastian

Thanks so much

MrsHathaway Sat 08-Aug-15 20:02:10

Madeleine - pretty but Maddie is a bit lumpen

Beatrix - very pretty. LOVE. Nn Bea?

Genevieve - elegant.

Neve/Neave - hideous. Spell it Niamh or don't use it.

Isabelle - lovely but very boring now. Nowhere near as good as Beatrice or Genevieve.

Alexander - solid. Do you like Alex? It's inevitable. Was high on our lists until we used another A- name.

Sebastian - stylish. I like it a lot.

mrspremise Sat 08-Aug-15 20:02:43

Niamh.

Sebastian.

mrspremise Sat 08-Aug-15 20:03:44

or go with Alexander and use Xander from the get-go wink

Don't like those spellings, but Niamh is lovely, as is Isabelle.

Sebastian

EnriqueTheRingBearingLizard Sat 08-Aug-15 20:07:14

Niamh.

Sebastian.

Agreed.

wigglesrock Sat 08-Aug-15 20:08:49

I like the girls names but not Neve and for the love of God not Neave, if you want Niamh, spell it as such. Although Niamh I find quite dated sort, I'd put it in with Joanne, Lisa - very of its time, that could just be because I know so many. I really like Genevieve.

I'd pick Sebastian over Alexander. Alexander is a bit meh, neither here nor there - a bit dull.

RiverTam Sat 08-Aug-15 20:11:14

Beatrix
Niamh
Genevieve

Alexander (Sasha for short?)

Fizzyplonk Sat 08-Aug-15 20:12:13

Isabelle and Alexander

morepleasegromit Sat 08-Aug-15 20:30:39

Beatrix and Alexander

Fishwives Sat 08-Aug-15 20:35:40

Niamh (Neve/Neave is hideous) and Sebastian.

YakTriangle Sat 08-Aug-15 20:38:26

Madeleine and Alexander

Queazy Sat 08-Aug-15 20:39:13

Thanks so much smile Ha ha - bit of a flaming for my spelling of Niamh too?! Sorry, without wishing to sound thick, I've honestly never met one and so just copied that from baby name website. Niamh it is, tho I do wonder if they would spend their whole life spelling their name? Not to you lot but possibly to people like me blush

I do like Alex, but absolutely hate Xander. Do people really use that as a nickname?

Thanks so much for your input so far. Niamh was just an 'oh that's pretty' addition but I'm actually starting to really love it. Thanks again

Wildflower91 Sat 08-Aug-15 20:40:09

I love Niamh :-)

Oddpet Sat 08-Aug-15 20:42:47

Of your choices I like Madeleine and Alexander the most. I do love Isabel (that spelling) but there are just so many around, which puts me off it.

Am not v fond of Alexander but think that Sandy is a cute nickname.

Spydra Sat 08-Aug-15 21:00:24

Alexander (Alex) and Genevieve (Vivi)

Baffledmumtoday Sat 08-Aug-15 21:08:50

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ashesandfire Sat 08-Aug-15 21:54:55

I love Madeleine and Genevieve. Beatrix never did anything for me. Niamh not Neve is OK. Isobel is beautiful but a bit boring now.
Love Alexander nn Alex - not a fan of Xander.

lunalovegood84 Sat 08-Aug-15 22:11:27

I like Niamh, Genevieve and Alexander.

GoooRooo Sat 08-Aug-15 22:12:38

Beatrix and Alexander

I particularly like Bea and Xander as nicknames

BlueChampagne Sat 08-Aug-15 22:18:53

If you want something not very common, I'd ditch Alexander, Sebastian, Isabelle and Beatrice. Niamh is good; how about Conrad for a boy? Classic yet unusual.

ChilliAndMint Sat 08-Aug-15 22:19:20

I'm not a fan of Sebastian or Alexander, do you like Seth?

MrsHathaway Sat 08-Aug-15 22:30:35

I think Niamh is pretty well known nowadays that it wouldn't cause too much confusion. There's just the issue that lots of people have used Other Spellings - but an Isobel/Isabelle/Isabel would have that problem as would Catherine/Kathryn and so on.

MrsHathaway Sat 08-Aug-15 22:31:35

I think Alexanders are Alex by default unless you put a lot of effort in to be Xander. I don't think that should put you off.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now