Talk

Advanced search

Twin baby names

(42 Posts)
Wildflower91 Sat 08-Aug-15 19:19:49

Hi everyone. I'm 16 weeks pregnant with identical twins (so I'll have two boys or two girls, just to clarify lol)... My initial baby girl names were Lucia and Sofia but my mum said they are too rhymey so that's put me off...anyone agree?..I now like Lucia and Emily. And my baby boy names are Oliver and Seán.

Congratulations. smile

Love Oliver. I don't think Sean is anywhere near as nice.
Girls' names not doing much for me, sorry.

ButterflyOfFreedom Sat 08-Aug-15 19:36:21

Congratulations!

I agree with your mum - Lucia & Sofia are both lovely names but are similar.

Not so keen on Emily.

Oliver is ok, Sean is fab!

Fizzyplonk Sat 08-Aug-15 20:16:53

I like Lucia and Sofia but also Emily
How about Lucia and Chiara or Sofia and Livia

Love Oliver, not keen on Sean.
How about Louis?

Go with what YOU like though ��

Fizzyplonk Sat 08-Aug-15 20:17:08

That was a smile

MrsHathaway Sat 08-Aug-15 20:18:21

Do you know they're definitely same sex? Is it a "single sac, must be identical" situation?

I don't think that Lucia and Sofia are too rhymey and I like them both. But maybe just one with something along the lines of Valentina, Carolina, Olivia, Christobel?

I can't do accents on my phone but a proper Irish Sean doesn't go with Oliver at all. Which would you say you are more set on? Oliver is like Thomas, Robert, Harry, Ben, etc. Sean is like Ciaran, Callum, Connor, etc.

GingerCuddleMonster Sat 08-Aug-15 20:19:10

I like Oliver and Hugo rather than Sean.

congratulations grin. how exiting

crje Sat 08-Aug-15 20:26:21

Sean & Oscar

Lucia & Emma

I wouldn't go with rhyming names, give them their own identity.
-- don't dress them the same--

Good luck

Wildflower91 Sat 08-Aug-15 20:27:37

I've always liked Oliver and Lucia they are both definites for me. Emily my mum picked after her dad who passed away, Emmanuel. And Seán, my dad likes this one and it's what I was going to be called if I was a boy. I love traditional names. What does everyone think of Daithí (pronounced Da-hee, Irish for David)..I'm from a small town in Ireland x

Wildflower91 Sat 08-Aug-15 20:28:21

Oh I love Oscar! I'll add that to my list :-)

anonmam9 Sat 08-Aug-15 20:55:09

Like Sean but then I am Welsh.
Also always loved Emily to and don't understand objections but is my sister's name so I am biased. Ps. Good luck it's hard enough picking 1 girl and 1 boy name!

Wildflower91 Sat 08-Aug-15 21:11:11

anonmam tell me about it!!! They definitely aren't having middle names because first names are hard enough lol the perks of being a single mum, I have no other half to disagree with me on names!! :-)

turdfairynomore Sat 08-Aug-15 21:20:28

Daithí is fab! It's my favourite Irish boy's name!

Wildflower91 Sat 08-Aug-15 21:27:24

turdfairynomore..what about with the surname Duffy? Too much? My mum hates it!

crje Sat 08-Aug-15 21:33:52

Yes it's too much

Oliver & Oscar are lovely together

turdfairynomore Sat 08-Aug-15 21:41:19

Not with Duffy - shame! Oliver and Oscar are cute. Lucia and Emma?

Wildflower91 Sat 08-Aug-15 21:57:26

m.independent.ie/life/family/mothers-babies/guess-who-top-tips-to-help-you-choose-the-perfect-baby-name-31418702.html Worth a read :-)

Sandsnake Sat 08-Aug-15 22:50:44

At the risk of finding a political angle when there isn't one, I wonder if Oliver and a traditional Irish name like Daithi would seem a bit odd together? Just thinking Oliver Cromwell and his history in Ireland. Feel free to ignore me - may well be overthinking! And also I agree with your mum that Lucia and Sofia are a bit similar. Fantastic news on your twins btw smile

Jedi1 Sat 08-Aug-15 22:58:31

Isn't Lucia a boys name and the rest of your options are girls?!

I had Hugo and Jack but they turned out pink...

The advice I had was give then different initials, post in the future, and same amount of syllables for learning to write.

We also have the first born the second letter in the alphabet so they are first in the queue because people always always always ask who was born first. It gives the second born a chance to be first sometimes if that makes sense.

ladybird69 Sat 08-Aug-15 23:06:49

James and Daniel for boys
Olivia and Georgia for girls.
I love these names.
Congrats Op grin

Quasilulu Sun 09-Aug-15 00:48:16

Oooh lovely! Congratulations. Lucia and Emma? Still honouring Emmanuel but less frilly
Sean and Oliver sound great to me.

NanaNina Sun 09-Aug-15 01:14:44

I think Oliver and Oscar are lovely names but SO popular - well they are here, but not sure about Ireland. My son and DIL and grandchildren live in Ireland (DIL is Irish) and there are some lovely girl's names I think, though nearly every other girl seems to be called Aoife! Some of the Irish names are lovely, Roisin, Catelin (that's very popular over here) Sinead, Ayshling, and there seem to be lots of Kates, Katies, Kian, Dara, Oisin,
Over here Lily and Isabella and Olivia are very popular. My Anglo Irish grand-daughter is Isla (lovely name but very popular here and in Ireland I think) My other grand-daughter is Anya (lovely and very unusual) though very like the Irish Orla which is pretty I think.

I think Lucia is lovely, but agree with your mom about Lucia and Sophia! But both pretty names.

CrystalMcPistol Sun 09-Aug-15 03:50:22

You can't have Daithí Duffy, it's too rhymey and also sounds like a dodgy TD's name.

I think Seán and Oliver go fine together, plenty of Irish siblings have a mixture of Irish and non Irish names. And as well as the awful Oliver Cromwell, there's the altogether more Hiberno-friendly Oliver Plunkett (and his mummified head) and Oliver St. John Gogarty.

Lucia and Sofia are too rhymey and Emily is a bit dowdy in comparison to the gorgeous Lucia. So I'd ditch Sofia and Emily and go for another 3 syllable name like Imogen, Evelyn, Julia, Eloise.......something that isn't Italian. Unless you particularly want an Italian theme?

Wildflower91 Sun 09-Aug-15 07:24:59

crystal tears actually rolling down my face at the TD comment, brilliant lol lol..we already have a cousin Emma so that's out of the question for me. And Lucia as a boys name? I'll be pronouncing it as 'Lou-cee-a' not sure I've ever came across a male with that name-very fem!! You really don't realise how many people you don't like or how many exs you've have until you try to pick 2 baby names lol Keep suggestions coming in enjoying reading them all x

SanityClause Sun 09-Aug-15 07:29:34

I think Jedi is thinking of Luca, perhaps?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now