Talk

Advanced search

Edward...

(19 Posts)
Someonebringmechocolate Thu 06-Aug-15 23:59:39

Hello from an extra emotional mum to be..
My Dh passed away 2 months ago, so I'm very anxious about naming our baby without his help.
He was called Edward (I'll prob nn ds Ted) but I wonder would people frown upon naming our son that while things are so raw? And obvs with the Edward Heath headlines.... Don't want our son feeling he has big shoes to fill but at the same time I can't think of a name that means as much..
Tia x

RoosterCogburn Fri 07-Aug-15 00:02:29

Sorry for your loss.

I think naming your son after his dad would be lovely.
It's a great name, and you have every reason to use it.

Clobbered Fri 07-Aug-15 00:03:36

So sorry for your loss.

Edward is a lovely name, and I can't think of a better one for your little boy. It will be very special for both you and him, to name him for his Daddy. Don't worry about what anyone else thinks or says - do what feels right for you. And as for the headlines - they will be forgotten in a matter of days or weeks, and certainly won't be relevant by the time your son is old enough to know anything about it.

(Declaration of interest: I have a DS Edward aka Eddie / Ed / 'Dward etc!)

Sophronia Fri 07-Aug-15 01:27:47

Sorry for your loss.

Edward nn Ted is a lovely name.

MrsHathaway Fri 07-Aug-15 09:31:59

I have an Edward (although he's known by a nickname) and have had nothing but positive comments about the name. It's ace <biased>

I'm so sorry for your loss. I think it's a very fitting tribute and nobody would associate your Edward with a long-gone politician whatever the headlines, given your particular circumstances. James/Jimmy is just as popular as it ever was, after all.

All the very best flowers

StevieJo Fri 07-Aug-15 09:48:30

I'm very sorry for your loss, I think Edward is a strong, positive name on its own and the added personal attatchment makes it all that more perfect.

reuset Fri 07-Aug-15 09:54:10

Sorry for your loss, Someone.

Edward is a fine name, enduring popular and classic enough not to be immediately, or only, identified with the politician. It wouldn't be at all risky to use and would be a fitting tribute to your dh. Heath on the other hand (which has featured in a couple of recent threads) others have advised against...

BlisterFace Fri 07-Aug-15 09:58:01

Sorry for your loss. I love the name. It's also the name of a dear friend of mine who passed away in 2009 (although we always used his nn "Bear"). So I am also biased!

Edward Heath will be tomorrow's chip paper smile

Blondie87 Fri 07-Aug-15 10:49:52

Very sorry to hear about your loss. It must be a very difficult time for you.

I think it would be a lovely tribute to name your little boy after his father if you are comfortable with that.

I have a little Edward and have had nothing but positive comments about it, there is great nn potential for your child when he's older and you can find positive and negative associations with any name. Your child will define the name as his own individual identity.

hawkmcqueen Fri 07-Aug-15 12:42:37

So sorry for your loss. I think Edward is very fitting and a great tribute to your DH. I am sure your son will really appreciate his name and will be very proud to be called after his father x

Someonebringmechocolate Fri 07-Aug-15 14:36:07

Thank you everyone. I just wasn't sure if dh's family would feel I was replacing him..
Don't want to offend anyone but I think it's the nicest thing to do x

ShadowStar Fri 07-Aug-15 18:28:56

Sorry for your loss.

Naming your DS after his father would be a lovely tribute.

I wouldn't worry about the Edward Heath stuff either. Edward's a long established name, and there are a multitude of other famous Edward's, both real and fictional, so I don't think anyone is going to hear "Edward" and automatically think of Edward Heath.

DirtyMugPolice Fri 07-Aug-15 18:40:56

I'm so very sorry to hear about your DH <hug>

I think it's a lovely idea x

Purplehonesty Fri 07-Aug-15 18:48:52

Love the name and the sentiment. And it wouldn't occur to me to think of Edward Heath

Queazy Sat 08-Aug-15 19:37:27

I'm sorry for your loss, and I think Edward is a beautiful name and a perfect choice for your DS. No one will think of Edward Heath for a second either.

WhyCantIuseTheNameIWant Sat 08-Aug-15 23:34:15

Sorry for your loss.

I know a little Edward. He goes by Eddie.

I know several men who have named their sons after themselves.

You have a good reason. Edward is a nice, solid name. Ed/Eddie are cute.

If you think it will be too painful for you, then give him Edward as a middle name.

Charlie Edward
Thomas Edward
Daniel Edward
(Grandads name) Edward.

I don't think anybody will think it strange.

CrystalMcPistol Sun 09-Aug-15 00:07:00

I really am so sorry for your troubles Someonebringmechocolate

I think Edward is a gorgeous name and a really beautiful link to his father.

Put Edward Heath out of your mind, no matter what the outcome of that situation the name is far bigger than that particular man. It wouldn't occur to me to associate the name with him.

flowers

Theas18 Sun 09-Aug-15 08:56:31

Op you must call him Edward after his dad. Don't be swayed. It's a fab name anyway if you were just picking a name from the book ( admits bias here. Mine is grown up. ) but after his dad? No question.

So sorry for your loss but if his dad was still around I'd say you still want to name him Edward anyway !

SmugairleRoin Mon 10-Aug-15 21:14:37

That would be a lovely tribute op, and I'm sure help make him feel close to his Dad.

(side note: I'm Irish and took me a while to remember who Edward heath is. It won't be remembered for years to come).

And I'm very sorry for your loss.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now