Talk

Advanced search

Somebody give us a name that we might even consider???

(104 Posts)
Glindathegoodwitch Thu 06-Aug-15 10:35:52

I have read 2 baby name books cover to cover and check this board almost daily.. NOTHING! angry

I have been in love with ONE girl's name for years & years - absolutely impossible with my now married surname. angry angry

I see a name, I kind of like it, I say it out loud, I hate it.
I see a name, I kind of like it. I say it to Dh, he wrinkles his nose or looks at me in shock.
I see a name, I kind of like it, I think it's quite vintage/retro - it's so popular, if I said it at the school gates, i'd have 50 kids at my feet.

DH says a name, I walk away in disbelief... confused hmm

In my head, I think I want a 2 syllable name but wouldn't be opposed to 3 or a potentially adjoining middle name. Our surname is only one syllable.

I don't know if we are having a girl or a boy and will not be finding out... HELP!

Heels99 Thu 06-Aug-15 10:39:34

What is the surname, if that is a key factor can you share it in here without outing yourself?

Tobias for a boy?

fleamadonna Thu 06-Aug-15 10:42:55

what was the one and only girl's name that you loved? just to get a feel for what you like.

Glindathegoodwitch Thu 06-Aug-15 10:42:58

Our surname is Ross.

Would stay away from a first name ending is S also! I know I am a nightmare

Slavetominidictator Thu 06-Aug-15 10:44:22

What was the name you loved? Otherwise we have no idea what kind of thing you might like.

Glindathegoodwitch Thu 06-Aug-15 10:46:00

Girl's name I loved was Iris - Same problem as Tobias - Too many S's going on.

I considered hyphenating Iris with a one syllable middle name but nothing?

pinktrufflechoc Thu 06-Aug-15 10:47:52

Tobias WILL be Toby.

Even on his bank cards and work badge.

grin

gymboywalton Thu 06-Aug-15 10:47:56

how about isla? similar sound with the sibilant sound?

RainbowRoses Thu 06-Aug-15 10:48:18

Eva Ross

Lunastarfish Thu 06-Aug-15 10:49:00

Joel is my favourite boys name but my DP won't entertain it so I suggest to everyone!

On my girls list was:-

Fleur
Antonia
Claudia
Phoebe
Marianne
Violet

DP said no to then all sad

pinktrufflechoc Thu 06-Aug-15 10:49:20

And to be honest though OP I think Iris is fine with Ross. If it was Iross I'd see what you meant grin

Irisa is quite pretty (I think I prefer it to Iris in fact but I've never been an Iris fan!)

I can sympathise though as my all time favourite girls name is Willow and that is also impossible with our surname.

Glindathegoodwitch Thu 06-Aug-15 10:57:03

There have been three Isla's in our village recently - and SIL has recently had a baby which would have been Isla had he not been a boy, I am sure they will use if they have a DD.

Eva - I have a daughter with a classic E - 2 syllable name but very pretty and I always think of the elegant Eva Longoria!

Joel is my nephew. Marianne is DH Grandma.

I just think Iriss Ross - I think of that song with a dance routine last year 'Criss cross, everybody clap your hands' blush

I do really, really like Violet - also the name of the lead girl in Coyote Ugly, a fave of mine BUT DH'd great aunt is auntie Vi - he says that his family think that we will have named her after her but that really wouldn't be the case. I've only met her once! (I am working on this one to at least make it to the shortlist)

Willow is lovely. But also think of Will Smith's daughter who has peircings at her age! Ahhhhhh!

I quite like Thea?

Glindathegoodwitch Thu 06-Aug-15 10:57:38

piercings* doh!

CarrotVan Thu 06-Aug-15 11:47:11

How about Irene? Very pretty and can be shortened to Renie

CakeRattleandRoll Thu 06-Aug-15 12:01:52

I like Iris too. How about:

Tabitha
Josephine
Genevieve
Xanthe
Vivienne
Nina
Audrey
Ivy

Although if you've read through two books of names and can't find anything, then we should probably be suggesting really unusual choices that you might not have already seen.

Any clues as to the type of boy's names you like/dislike? (I actually like Ross as a first name grin ).

StevieJo Thu 06-Aug-15 12:03:56

Thea Ross is lovely

pieceofpurplesky Thu 06-Aug-15 12:05:20

Marnie Ross
Martha Ross
Poppy Ross
Pippa Ross
Hetty Ross
Bridie Ross

Glindathegoodwitch Thu 06-Aug-15 12:08:56

I like Tab*a*tha - DH veto'd.
I also like Ivy - DH wrinkled his nose.
The others not so much my fancy - although Xanthe is new to me smile

Thanks Stevie - I like it the more I say it. I don't think it needs a middle name either.

How about Thalia?

Boys names I like are

Ethan - DH says no, kind of similar to his name
Theo - DH umms and ahhs. Quite like Teddy too - NOT my usual style!
Blake - well not me but DH really likes.

GoooRooo Thu 06-Aug-15 12:10:25

As you've been through the baby name books I'm goign to suggest slightly more unusual names

Boys
Franklin
Woody
Archer
Dean (not that unusual but not heard much lately)

Girls
Asia
Petra
Immaculate
Charity
Thomasina
Roberta
Mimi

Enb76 Thu 06-Aug-15 12:10:42

Sylvie Ross
Ivy Ross
Lilah Ross
Eloise Ross (not two syllables but flows nicely)

Fuckup Thu 06-Aug-15 12:11:11

Sofia Ross? Barnaby Ross?

thunderbird69 Thu 06-Aug-15 12:12:35

Ianthe
Ione
Ismay

Fuckup Thu 06-Aug-15 12:12:42

Saskia?

Baddz Thu 06-Aug-15 12:14:53

Toby
Edward (ned)
Samuel
Isaac
Jacob
Joshua
William (will)
Alexander (I like longer names with short surnames)
Christopher

Helena
Lucy
Eleanor
Olivia
Alexandra
Francesca
Anna
Stephanie
Rebecca

Blexie Thu 06-Aug-15 12:15:06

DP is a Ross so we had this problem. Best advice we had was, think of Scottish names to go with a Scottish surname. We liked Alexandra and Isabella for a girl, with a family name for a middle name. And for a boy James Charles David and Stewart. We didn't know what we were having, but DD announced herself in such a way that it became obvious what her name should be!
Also DP's Nan told me that I should remember that a girl may change her name so carefully chosen non clashing names will go out the window! ( my initials will be RAR when get married - not sure whether to laugh or cry!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now