Talk

Advanced search

Help me guess the name!

(30 Posts)
Anjou Tue 04-Aug-15 16:16:42

My friend is expecting a baby girl in a few months. She has her heart set on a name and wants to keep it almost secret - she is happy for me to try to guess it. She won’t give me out-and-out clues, but will give me yes or no responses if I make a guess. It’s driving me insane! So far I’ve worked out that it’s;

Not a name that is unheard of, but she has never met one. (She’s mid-thirties and lives in central Scotland)
It’s considered to be slightly old fashioned (but she won’t tell me more about whether this might mean e.g. Victorian, 1970’s etc)
The biggest clue is that it has an association that – in her words – would ‘ruin the name’ if you make the connection. She won’t elaborate whether this is a musical, literary, food stuff connection etc.
It doesn't end in a vowel (found this out after guessing a bunch of names ending in ‘a’)

She also says she wants a name that can’t be shortened, so my guess is either one syllable or just a name that doesn't shorten easily.

So far I've incorrectly guessed:

Delilah
Priscilla
Jolene
Joan
Amber
Blyth
Flora
Tabitha
Caitlyn
Gabrielle
Lola
Nikita
Rhianna (spelled properly)
Anastasia
Fleur
Giselle
Camilla

Any ideas what my next guess or question should be? smile

StompyBlueNose Tue 04-Aug-15 17:12:39

Ivy

wigglesrock Tue 04-Aug-15 17:14:03

I was positive it would be Lana, but it ends in a vowel.

Sophronia Tue 04-Aug-15 17:38:57

Violet

coilpanic Tue 04-Aug-15 17:45:37

Jean? Is she a Smiths fan? The Jeane in their song has a rough ride of it; may spoil the name?!

Fishwives Tue 04-Aug-15 17:50:12

No idea, but your friend sounds more than a bit strange, what with the months-long guessing game 'almost secret, but I'll enjoy tantalising you with the occasional clue' thing. Also, why would anyone call their child a name when they know about an association that 'ruins it'?

Chickenandpenguin Tue 04-Aug-15 18:17:14

Iona?

Chickenandpenguin Tue 04-Aug-15 18:17:53

Ignore that it ends in a.
Tess?

NoArmaniNoPunani Tue 04-Aug-15 18:23:47

Deborah? (Thinking Debbie does Dallas association)

GoooRooo Tue 04-Aug-15 18:24:54

Alexis (thinking Alexis from Dynasty association)

calilark Tue 04-Aug-15 18:29:45

Margaret

calilark Tue 04-Aug-15 18:31:09

Oh maybe not. one syllable. I have a Tess as well so I am biased smile Maybe she is unsure on Tess of the D'ubervilles association?

Chickenandpenguin Tue 04-Aug-15 18:38:31

That's what I wondered calilark. How annoying she wants you to guess!

strawberryblondebint Tue 04-Aug-15 18:42:18

Enid.

Anjou Tue 04-Aug-15 21:03:31

Good suggestions!

Ivy is lovely. Poison ivy is the negative maybe? It's not Margaret, as I guessed that this afternoon. angry Also, it's "not Scottish" apparently, so that rules out any of the island names.

Tess is lovely! Don't think it's that, but can ask .... actually, she's more likely to make an association with Tess Daly rather than d'urbervilles, so it might be that. Hmmm.

Not a smiths fan, so I don't think it'll be that. Enid. Was Enid Blyton not a good person? I don't really know anything about her. Enid has made me think of Edith. I'm pretty sure she really dislikes Edith bowman ... that's one to ask in the morning!

WankerDeAsalWipe Tue 04-Aug-15 21:13:35

Claudette

WankerDeAsalWipe Tue 04-Aug-15 21:16:37

Mallory?

thunderbird69 Tue 04-Aug-15 21:20:23

Nell?

switchitoff Tue 04-Aug-15 21:41:33

Pearl (Harbour?)
Kim (Kardashian?)
Esther (Rantzen??!)
Faye
Jill
Brooke

Icedfinger Tue 04-Aug-15 21:47:19

Pearl
Olive
Phoebe
Flora
Hettie

Anjou Tue 04-Aug-15 22:07:00

More great suggestions. Thanks! Also, just thought of Fearne (Cotton). And that's made me think of Dot (Cotton). grin

Anjou Tue 04-Aug-15 22:08:35

Oh, and 'Pearl' is an especially good suggestion. Lovely name but in a fairly broad Scottish accent it can sound like 'Peril'. I'll ask tomorrow!

gluenotsoup Tue 04-Aug-15 22:14:58

Nell ? As in Nell Flanders.....? I do like it though.

WankerDeAsalWipe Tue 04-Aug-15 22:17:21

Just had a google to see who Oedipus's Mother was but it's Jocasta and it ends in a vowel (obviously!)

Could it be someone like that? Maybe someone who is better with their Greek legends etc might have a few ideas?

WankerDeAsalWipe Tue 04-Aug-15 22:18:39

I was thinking along the lines of people like Eva Braun too but obviously the name doesn't fit the criteria.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now