Talk

Advanced search

Sibling for Rosa Alice

(11 Posts)
TeddyRuxpinsSmile Mon 03-Aug-15 18:57:48

Hello
We are on the way to a sibling for our 15 month old and I would love some opinions on possible names/ideas for similar to these?
I bloody love Alice and wish I'd kept it for this one, damnit.
I also love Martha, but that sort of discounts Arthur later down the line (we'd like 3 or 4 in an ideal world)...pearl, Sadie and Louis are family names.
Girls-
Harriet Pearl (Harry, Hatty, Hetty, Etta)
Edith Pearl (Edie)
Margot Sadie (Maggie)
Eleanor Pearl (Nora, Elsie,Nellie, nell)
Lois Pearl (ummm Lois)

Boys
Stanley Victor
Charles Louis
George Louis
Arthur Louis (really really don't like art or artie as nn...could we have teddy?)

I like strong, but sweet names, something short and not cutesy but with a lovely nn. Mind you we never ever call rosa anything but her name, or Roo (randomly). I love edith, but not that keen on Edie.
Anyway, rambling now- love to hear what you think.

marinacortina Mon 03-Aug-15 20:58:59

Margot.

WankerDeAsalWipe Mon 03-Aug-15 21:07:12

Would Alicia Rose be too twee?

I like all your options.

Rosa and Lois might not "go" if that is a concern?

similar names:

Peter
Alastair
Robert
Douglas

Gabrielle
Celeste
Christina
Vanessa

TeddyRuxpinsSmile Mon 03-Aug-15 22:00:06

Thanks for the responses!

Wanker- I'm afraid those don't appeal, especially Alicia rose. Seems too flowery (which may sound weird given dds name!), but thank you regardless!

I like that Rosa feels feminine but is also feisty. And my favourite boys names seem to be down to earth but old fashioned.

Sophronia Mon 03-Aug-15 22:26:53

I like them all except Lois and Stanley.

How about...

Nina
Beatrice
Greta
Mabel
Dorothy
Adeline
Lucy
Delphine
Julia
Martha
Elise
Winifred
Sylvie
Isabel
Claudia
Eliza
Clara
Adelaide
Lila
Susanna
Anya
Marina
Lydia
Penelope
Enid
Marianne
Esther
Juliet
Matilda
Noelle
Emmeline
Alix
Cecily

William
Edward
Nathaniel
Dominic
Joel
Wilfred
Edmund
Luke
Joseph
Frederick
Ernest
Henry
John
Theodore
Hugh
Jonathan
Laurence
Nicholas
Patrick
Thomas
Albert

WankerDeAsalWipe Mon 03-Aug-15 22:36:38

That's okay - none of those are particularly my taste either grin

I can like other peoples choices without ever wanting to use them myself which I think is something people can struggle with.

I have boys with Scottish names and my possible girls names were also Scottish so wouldn't be your taste based on your list.

I'm thinking the implied strength of Rosa might come from the association with Rosa Parks? Perhaps something also taken from a pioneering woman might be suitable?

Maybe something here:
www.stylist.co.uk/people/50-women-who-changed-the-world#gallery-50

Marie comes up a couple of times - one of our girls choices was Mairi which gives you closer to the French pronunciation (Mah-ray) rather than Muh-ree.

Other choices for boys, maybe Frederick, Lawrence, John, Edgar or Edwin.

PandaBear30 Tue 04-Aug-15 10:02:42

Lovely names, my favourite for a girl is Edith, think it sounds great with Rosa. Really like the nn Edie but as Edith is only 2 syllables it doesn't need shortening. For a boy I like either George or Arthur.

TeddyRuxpinsSmile Wed 05-Aug-15 09:27:50

Thanks for comments!
Are there any alternative nicknames for arthur? It means bear...could we have teddy? I love that! Or would people call baby Art/Artie anyway?

marinacortina Wed 05-Aug-15 10:50:38

I don't think there's any need to shorten Arthur. When I was young I knew a lot of elderly Arthurs and they were all called by their full name. It's only two syllables after all!

I don't think Art or Artie comes very naturally anyway, as the name is sounded with a th sound, not a t.

HelenaJohannsen Wed 05-Aug-15 18:00:25

Martha is lovely!
It seems you like traditional English names, or names of that sort, so here are some of my favourites smile

Josephine can be very pretty, and if you wanted something a little different, you could always go with the French version with the apostrophe over the e smile

If you like Edith, you might also like Elsie, which is a little more modern and very girly.

Rosa and Elsie go very well in my opinion.

Elsie Margot would be lovely, its quite quirky but traditional.

At the same time that name seems as though it needs a little more

As for boys, Arthur is lovely smile And he could be a Teddy if you wanted.

Arthur Edward

Arthur George

Or George or Edward as a first name, with Edward you can definitely make that a Teddy name smile I hope this has helped

swancourt Thu 06-Aug-15 20:56:11

Oooh we have similar taste - I love Rose, Rosa, and I have an Alice. I also have an Isobel but I am guessing that's a little too popular for your taste - and her middle name is Edith! I always wish we hadn't used Edith as a middle name as I love it and would love it for a first name - I don't think it needs abbreviation at all. My other daughter's middle name is Eleanor! Would love it for a first name but not keen on Ellie.

My vote is for Edith.

My favourite boy's name of all time is Arthur but DH doesn't like it because of the lack of abbreviations. We've compromised and if we ever have a boy he's likely to be called Alfred nn Freddie/Fred. That could be an option?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now