Talk

Advanced search

Love the name Arla, but is it now massively associated with Dairy products?

(44 Posts)
fixuplooksharp Mon 03-Aug-15 14:15:12

So.... We really love the name Isla, then I threw Ayla into to mix too, and we both love that. Then I read on here somewhere, someone suggesting to another poster- Arla, loved it, we pretty much decided on it, then I got an email about Arla butter?? Bugga!!!! They stole my name! Haha! I hadn't heard of it at all before, is it now a no no for a girls name? I wouldn't call her Lurpak! smile
So I guess I'm also asking...
Isla
Ayla
Or
Arla

Thanks smile

SoupDragon Mon 03-Aug-15 14:16:26

Well, people still use Flora...

fixuplooksharp Mon 03-Aug-15 14:17:20

Ooh yes they do! Hadn't thought of that, and Flora is a lovely name, I never think of Margarine when I hear it. Good point!

MissMillament Mon 03-Aug-15 14:17:33

What about Orla?

fixuplooksharp Mon 03-Aug-15 14:21:09

I really like Orla, but DH wasn't as keen as he was on other 3.

MissMillament Mon 03-Aug-15 14:26:17

They are all lovely names. I wouldn't worry about the dairy product, it probaby won't be around that long anyway.

fixuplooksharp Mon 03-Aug-15 14:28:41

True, it's not a biggy in the supermarkets. I am struggling to decide between them though, especially as they are all so similar!

BertrandRussell Mon 03-Aug-15 14:33:34

I just think you should never give a child a name that will mean that have to say "No, it's X" every single time for the rest of their lives. "My name's Ayla" "oh, hello Isla" "No, it's Ayla" Ditto, Arla/Orla.....

fixuplooksharp Mon 03-Aug-15 14:37:40

Good point Bert ^ Although my own name is one that has a different spelling, I am always correcting people's pronunciation or spelling, it can be annoying but also nice to be different too.

LadyLuck81 Mon 03-Aug-15 14:46:42

I loved Alba as a girls name. Similar but not a dairy product smile

fixuplooksharp Mon 03-Aug-15 14:49:06

Alba is a nice girls name but not old sounding enough to go with my boys names. Not that Arla is an old sounding name particularly but Alba is a definate more modern sound imo.

Emochild Mon 03-Aug-15 15:06:24

I think it depends where you live

If your in West Yorkshire I would imagine most people would think dairy

Outside West Yorkshire -probably not

fixuplooksharp Mon 03-Aug-15 15:09:34

Oh good, well since I live in the south, East Anglia, that shouldn't be a problem smile thank you!

Sophronia Mon 03-Aug-15 15:20:40

Alma?

Coffeemarkone Mon 03-Aug-15 15:23:40

Ailsa?

Yes for me Arla says 'custard in a carton'.

SuburbanRhonda Mon 03-Aug-15 15:24:46

Alba is Latin for "white", so if it's old you're looking for, it fits the bill.

barbecue Mon 03-Aug-15 15:25:17

From your shortlist I'd go for Isla. I've never heard of Arla dairy products though.

Coffeemarkone Mon 03-Aug-15 15:30:05

yes Arla is a big company, nowhere near Yorkshire though.
I think they make Cravendale.

Coffeemarkone Mon 03-Aug-15 15:31:35

oh sorry they are based in Leeds....
I thought it was an Irish company for some reason..

littlejohnnydory Mon 03-Aug-15 16:13:45

Never heard of Arla butter! I have a F lora though and only ever had one margarine comment!

reuset Mon 03-Aug-15 16:32:54

I have only heard it as a dairy brand after seeing it on a Cravendale bottle. I've never heard of the name, and that, for me, is unusual( I have to look it up now). Whether that means you shouldn't use it I really don't know.

reuset Mon 03-Aug-15 16:36:14

I'm nowhere near Yorkshire! I spotted it on the bottle as I don't think it used to be printed on the front of the bottle (?) that's when I became aware of the brand name.

PennilynLott Mon 03-Aug-15 16:46:08

Arla won't disappear any time soon they are huge in Scandinavia. Still a nice name though, id use it.

thehogopogo Tue 04-Aug-15 14:13:53

I've got a 'Marla' (4) -everyone comments on how pretty it is (perhaps they're being polite) and I haven't met another. But it solves your butter dilemma...smile

Dixiebell Tue 04-Aug-15 14:17:18

Arla is a lovely name, I'd consider it for DD to be if only I didn't already have a DS named Arlo grin. I have noticed that it's a dairy company recently, but really wouldn't associate it, and it's certainly not as well known as Flora or Lurpak! I know one little Arla through DS's nursery.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now