Talk

Advanced search

Gwyneth?

(22 Posts)
artyone Sun 02-Aug-15 20:30:36

I quite like the name Gwen and husband agrees, but we want something longer.
Husband says no to Gwendoline. Could we use Gwen as a nickname for Gwyneth or is it wrong because its pronounced more like GWYN rather than GWEN.

I don't really like variations like Gwenyth/Gwenith/Gweneth. It just looks like it's Gwyneth spelled incorrectly.

It's becoming a bit of a headache.

Cyrli Sun 02-Aug-15 20:34:19

Never heard of Gwen as a nickname for Gwyneth. What about Gwenno, Gwennan, Gwenlli or Gwenllian?

Cyrli Sun 02-Aug-15 20:35:25

Should add that Gwen is a nice name on its own or as a nickname.

ShatnersBassoon Sun 02-Aug-15 20:35:52

If you like Gwen, go for it. If you wouldn't use any of the longer names (which are quite lumpy imo), there's no point in choosing one.

Chchchchanging Sun 02-Aug-15 20:40:43

My granny was gwen
I didn't know she was gwyneth until her funeral hmmblush

artyone Sun 02-Aug-15 20:41:14

Thanks, I worry about using just Gwen as our surname is a short one syllable surname but will have a think.

enviousllama Sun 02-Aug-15 20:45:58

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

getbusyliving Sun 02-Aug-15 20:51:05

Gwendolyn? nn Gwen or Dolly

Finallyonboard Sun 02-Aug-15 20:57:07

Gwyneth is usually Gwyn/ Gwynnie.

marinacortina Sun 02-Aug-15 21:34:05

Yes, Gwen is perfectly fine as a nn for Gwyneth.

LovelyBranches Sun 02-Aug-15 23:24:44

In Welsh, Gwen is often a nn for Anwen which means very fair.

LovelyBranches Sun 02-Aug-15 23:25:43

Gwennan is quite popular too

Sophronia Mon 03-Aug-15 00:35:10

I think Gwen is fine as a nn for Gwyneth, but how about Gwendolen, Gwenaelle, Gwenllian or Tegwen?

pickwickcrocus Mon 03-Aug-15 00:41:49

How about Guinevere? I just googled it to see if there are any other variations and found that it is often written as Gwenevere so could definitely be shortened to Gwen.

Don't like Gwyneth but really like Gwen and think it's fine on its own. Maybe with a long middle name to 'balance' things a bit?

littlejohnnydory Mon 03-Aug-15 16:10:39

Gwyneth reminds me of a really ratty old bitch of a primary teacher I had! I don't think it shortens naturally to Gwen. Do you like Gwenno, Gwenlli, Gwenllian, Gwenda (not keen on that one myself, associations with another teacher!), Gwenan, Gwenfair, Gwenith? In Wales, Gwen, Gwenno, Gwenlli, Gwenllian or Gwennan work best for the new generation. The others are older people's names and not as in Granny-chic, more like Susan or Barbara.

reuset Mon 03-Aug-15 16:20:04

It's a fine name, don't see why you couldn't use Gwen as easily as Gwyn.. But drat your husband for not liking Guendolen (or insert variation of), which is marvellous. grin

In Merlin, TV prog (popular culture reference shock) they used nick name Gwen for Guinevere. Would that appeal at all? Also a good name

reuset Mon 03-Aug-15 16:24:11

Guenevere and Gwenhevare (from the Welsh, obviously) were used before Guinevre (Anglo Norman). If you care about such things or want a bit of background.

reuset Mon 03-Aug-15 16:25:39

That should have been Guenievre, not Guinevre

Coffeemarkone Mon 03-Aug-15 16:29:28

Gwenllian (the last Princess of Wales)?
or Gwenno.
Gwyneth sounds .....dated.

reuset Mon 03-Aug-15 16:38:44

The only negative I can think of, personally(I know it's a proper old name) is that it sounds like a place name, but I'm probably thinking of Gwynedd (and I'm really not on form today grin)

CakeRattleandRoll Wed 05-Aug-15 16:22:30

Another 'Gwen' name is Gwenhwyfar - the Welsh name from which Guinevere originates.
Also Gwenifer - a Cornish version of Gwenhwyfar, I believe, which later became Jenifer, and finally Jennifer.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now