Talk

Advanced search

Mikey?

(37 Posts)
Toomuch2young Fri 31-Jul-15 14:30:39

Hi, I really like Mikey, but not as much Michael as I think its a little dated. Also hate Mike! Would I be mad to use Mikey with those factors?
Also like Jake, Rowan and Nate. Any thoughts?
Just hypothetical for now wink

luckiestgirlintheworld Fri 31-Jul-15 14:31:28

I like it.

And Rowan out of the others.

marinacortina Fri 31-Jul-15 15:00:41

No, it would be horribly unfair to name a child Mikey. It is a nickname and a rather twee one at that.

Michael is a classic name, just not in fashion right now. Not really the same thing as "dated" because it's not a 'fad' name - there are always Michaels in every generation.

NadiaWadia Fri 31-Jul-15 18:51:04

Mikey is OK, but really only a little boy's nickname - for Michael (which is nice, and a Proper Name). You could name him officially Michael (a classic name, just maybe not in fashion right now as pp said), and call him Mikey at home. Then when he gets older he can be Mikey, Mike, Mick, Micky, Michael or whatever the hell he likes!

Jake is nice, too (although I suppose it should be Jacob really, but Jake sounds far more like an actual name than Mikey does) or Nate (I would name him Nathaniel officially - lovely name).

Rowan is a bit unisex for my tastes.

crapfatbanana Fri 31-Jul-15 18:59:19

I don't like Mikey at all and with Michael I think of Michael Jackson or the Archangel Michael (which is more pleasant than Jacko.)

I really like Rowan.

Sophronia Fri 31-Jul-15 20:21:10

You could use Mikey as a nickname for Micah?

YeOldeTrout Fri 31-Jul-15 20:35:51

Don't call a child a name if you can't stand the NNs.
Michael is like the most popular name in English language for last 60 yrs. Beware.

VixxFace Fri 31-Jul-15 21:03:27

micah?

HarrietVane99 Fri 31-Jul-15 21:09:01

Michael is my brother's name. I like it, but if you use it be prepared for a lifetime of 'Micheal'. Even his teacher in his last year of primary school got it wrong.

I agree with pps that 'Mikey' is a nickname for a little boy, not a name for an adult.

Topsy34 Fri 31-Jul-15 21:11:16

I think Mikey is cute for a young child, but as he ages, he may well end up abbreviating to Mike anyway....how would you feel if he did choose to do that?

silverglitterpisser Fri 31-Jul-15 21:12:42

Mikey is also the name of one of the main monsters from Monsters Inc so I wouldn't use it for that alone.

Jake extremely common now but I do think Rowan n Nate r lovely.

reuset Fri 31-Jul-15 21:53:48

Michael is still top 100 (near top 50 currently) as it has been for over a century. It is a timeless classic, not out of date or fashion.

I don't like Mikey alone.

UrethraFranklin1 Fri 31-Jul-15 21:58:22

No. You're thinking of a baby, not a person. It's a cutesy nickname, give the child a proper name and use whatever nickname you like.

PurpleDaisies Fri 31-Jul-15 21:58:33

It'll always be Mikey from Boyzone to me (thanks to my sister's massive crush and posters everywhere). I quite like it though. My favourite from your list is Jake.

eightoutoften Fri 31-Jul-15 22:02:39

IMO even if you name him Mikey, when he gets older people will just call him Mike anyway so if you don't like that, then I would not go with it.

I always prefer to give them longer traditional names and let them make their own mind up as they grow.

southeastastra Fri 31-Jul-15 22:04:43

my son is michael, mike is something we called him when he was a toddler, he's michael now to everyone, or called by his surname. just call him michael its a nice guy name x

CarlaJones Sat 01-Aug-15 01:14:00

Michael is a good, solid name, but Mikey wouldn't suit an adult man.

Canyouforgiveher Sat 01-Aug-15 01:31:07

He will have a lifetime of people presuming he is Michael with nickname of Mikey and putting his name in cvs and forms etc as Michael.

Well maybe not - times change.

I know someone called Micheal - he spends his life correcting people who correct the spelling. It is a real pain.

Honestly I wouldn't give any child, male or female a name which is still considered a nickname (Mikey, Joey etc). But I do realise that there are loads of parents who feel differently.

Jake and Nate are also shortened names but have moved further into the name arena than Mikey has imo.

Of all the names, I like Nate the best.

CointreauVersial Sat 01-Aug-15 01:56:23

My cousin is Mikey; he's now in his twenties and still Mikey.

Canyouforgiveher Sat 01-Aug-15 02:06:20

My cousin is Mikey; he's now in his twenties and still Mikey.

But if his name is Mikey of course he is still Mikey. What other choice would he have?

Do you mean your cousin is Michael, always called Mikey and still clalled Mikey in his twenties - very different.

Toomuch2young Sat 01-Aug-15 08:34:30

Thanks. It's actually my friend who is pregnant and she suggested Mikey and was asking my opinion. I said I liked it but as it was a bit different I thought would put it to the Mumsnet jury grin. The others are saved away as my choices if I have a DS.
My friends other choices are Ruari, Dylan and Finn which are all nice names and not controversial, I wonder what she will go for!

Heels99 Sat 01-Aug-15 08:39:04

Rhymes with pikey

Toomuch2young Sat 01-Aug-15 08:40:33

heels the fact that is your first thought is quite worrying! hmm

stabbybitch Sat 01-Aug-15 08:48:15

It's an old classic but still around. I have a 9 month old Michael but he's called Mickey or Mick at the moment.

marinacortina Sat 01-Aug-15 10:04:37

Mícheál is the Irish spelling of Michael, so not always a misspelling. I guess this can cause confusion if people don't notice the accents.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now