Talk

Advanced search

Etienne?

(65 Posts)
Topsy34 Thu 30-Jul-15 09:16:11

DH and I have barely discussed names yet, but we struggled with DS.

We only had Devon for a boy, no girls names and when he was born, it fitted him.

Now 24 weeks and we don't know the sex. DH thinks boy, I think girl!

I like Warwick for a boy, but I know people will say about it being a place name as is Devon. i also like Hunter, but I have a friend with a boy called Hunter.

I really like the name Etienne, which is apparently traditionally a boys name, said Eh-tee-n.

Still no girls names. Hmmm.

Floggingmolly Thu 30-Jul-15 09:20:57

Eteinne is a boys name; but it's becoming more common for girls. It sounds girly too...

Topsy34 Thu 30-Jul-15 09:23:17

I think i prefer it for a boy than a girl.

Its a bit like Devon, it can be a girls name but we just saw it as a boys name

Duckdeamon Thu 30-Jul-15 09:24:16

DH thinks it would be shortened to "titty"!

BreeVDKamp Thu 30-Jul-15 09:27:27

I think it's beautiful but a little bit girly sounding, but wouldn't use it for a girl because it's s boys name!

I think Hunter goes really well with Devon!

I like your taste.

rainbowstardrops Thu 30-Jul-15 09:32:18

Isn't it French for Stephen? (Thinking back to my primary school French lessons when we were all called by the French equivalent of our own names grin)
I like it. I like Devon and Hunter too smile

BikeRunSki Thu 30-Jul-15 09:35:58

Etienne is French for Stephen. There's no "could be a girl's name" about it, it is a boy's name.

SanityClause Thu 30-Jul-15 10:02:17

I know a boy called Etienne. His mother is Spanish speaking.

I have never met anyone else with this name. (But I like it.)

reuset Thu 30-Jul-15 10:09:27

Etienne is a boys name, OP. I'm all for the unisex, but it;s like a French person calling their child (girl), for example, David. Don't be so silly.

There are a handful of bright sparks who have used it for a girl <shakes head> in the UK, but even here it is predominantly male name.

SoupDragon Thu 30-Jul-15 10:18:30

Etienne is French for Stephen. There's no "could be a girl's name" about it, it is a boy's name.

Like Robin, Jamie, Hilary....

I do know it's a boys name but I think it would make a lovely girls name too. not sure I'd use it though.

Topsy34 Thu 30-Jul-15 10:22:38

I didnt say it was a girls name, reuset, i agreed with floggingmolly who said its becoming more common for a girl. I have heard it used as a girls name, but i agree that its a boys name.....no need to start name calling, and saying that im silly.

Thinking of pronunciation, obvious enough or is it likely to be said differently?

CobbOnn Thu 30-Jul-15 10:22:42

I love the name etienne. My bil has a cousin who passed away, with the name. That is how I know it but also why I would never be able to use it

Asuperwittyquip Thu 30-Jul-15 10:33:53

I know of a little girl called Ettianna, sounds a bit made up, I don't know if it is but could be an option.

reuset Thu 30-Jul-15 10:35:27

i agreed with floggingmolly who said its becoming more common for a girl.

Well that is just incorrect, so I'd be wary about agreeing. Stats show it is predominantly male name in the UK (used mostly for boys). Yes, some bright sparks have used it for a girl, 'cos it's French and sounds girly, wot' I'd imagine.

reuset Thu 30-Jul-15 10:38:14

And in France (it being a French name) it is never used for girls (just like Stephen never used for girls here), and it is still very popular name.

Floggingmolly Thu 30-Jul-15 10:43:12

You're probably right actually, reuset. I'm familiar with the Irish name Étaíne (pronounced Eh-tayne) which I'm obviously getting confused with.
That's the name of a sun goddess in Irish mythology; so definitely girly grin

reuset Thu 30-Jul-15 10:43:44

In the last available stats. 3 baby girls named Etienne (that's a decrease on the previous year, by the way) compared to 32 baby boys.

In France Etienne is usually a top 100 name for boys.

reuset Thu 30-Jul-15 10:45:33

cross posted grin

I've heard of and like Etaine!

stevienickstophat Thu 30-Jul-15 10:45:45

Hunter is a bit awkward right now. Have you considered 'Walter'? Or 'Cecil'?

Seriously, Etienne is a lovely name, but it is a boy's name. What about Etiennette? Apparently that's the feminine form of Etienne.

Topsy34 Thu 30-Jul-15 10:47:15

Ok reuset, i get it, you are sensitive about it! Bloody hell. Calm down.

I have heard it as a girls name on more than one occasion and not heard it used as a boys name. Hence me agreeing it is more common.

reuset Thu 30-Jul-15 10:52:13

I always seem to provoke the swearing grin <slaps own wrist>

BothEndsBurning Thu 30-Jul-15 12:09:26

If I met a girl called Etienne, I would assume that her parents were woefully ignorant.

sweetpeame Thu 30-Jul-15 14:32:59

The only one of your names I like is Etienne. Which to me is always a boys name. I'd feel sorry for a girl called Etienne, I'd assume her parents didn't know better. Warwick and Hunter are awful names. But then I strongly dislike surnames as first names.

PrivatePike Thu 30-Jul-15 14:37:56

Haha, reuset I agree with you, btw!

Topsy34 Thu 30-Jul-15 20:00:10

sweetpeame any name could be a surnamethough couldnt it? I get what you are saying though.

I kinda think Hunter feels agressive, the way it sounds and its meaning. but still like it, i think we have ruled out out due to our friends little boy

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now