Talk

Advanced search

Jonathan - a bit meh?

(22 Posts)
BoutrosBoutros Wed 29-Jul-15 08:01:04

It's the only name we can agree on for DS2. I like Johnny as a nickname but is Jonathan just a bit boring? Maybe I'm projecting too many 'child of the 80s' feelings on to it. Does anyone have any thoughts?

Puffykins Wed 29-Jul-15 08:18:26

I love it. And I love Jonty as an abbreviation too.

Puffykins Wed 29-Jul-15 08:18:45

I love it. And I love Jonty as an abbreviation too.

HuftysTrain Wed 29-Jul-15 08:27:11

Love Johnny. As a nickname for John.

Find Jonathan slightly ridiculous. Like Charlottathon. Or Edwardathon.

PallasCat Wed 29-Jul-15 09:19:28

I think it's lovely.

BoutrosBoutros Wed 29-Jul-15 09:37:31

Thanks puffykins and pallascat!

hufty that made me laugh!!! Surely it's an old enough name that there must be some decent etymology behind it? I'll have to google now. John is too short unfortunately, we have a one-syllable surname and it wouldn't go.

squoosh Wed 29-Jul-15 10:37:57

Jonathan is very meh. Extremely so in fact.

John is a much better choice, does it matter if it's too short if he's going to be known as Johnny anyway?

BrambleBee Wed 29-Jul-15 10:55:06

I prefer Jonathan to John, and Johnny is a great nickname. I think it would be quite an unusual choice these days and so not as meh as more popular names such as Oliver, Jack, George.

Sophronia Wed 29-Jul-15 11:19:17

Jonathan is great, and unusual nowadays.

MissRemembered Wed 29-Jul-15 11:21:24

Jonathan is a great name, unusual now.
I like it more than John.

DramaAlpaca Wed 29-Jul-15 11:22:08

Love Jonathan. It's not meh at all. I like Jonny better than Johnny as a nickname. I know it sounds exactly the same, but I like the look of it better.

squoosh Wed 29-Jul-15 11:23:41

Jonny always looks wrong to me and I mentally pop an 'h' in.

OfficerVanHalen Wed 29-Jul-15 11:29:25

Johnny's pretty cool. Jonathan's not my cup of tea personally, though it's not offensively bad or anything.

My ds has an -y shortened type name and a longer one on his birth certificate. I can count on the fingers of one hand the times i've heard his longer name, not counting the times people say 'is -y short for x?' and i say yes. So go for it imo. By the time he's conceivably old enough to possibly want to use a name with more gravitas, you'll love the name because it will be 'him' by then.

MyBootsAreMuddy Wed 29-Jul-15 11:30:51

Fantastic name
I have a 5yr old one with nn Jonny/Jonty (or jojo by 13yr old ds1)
Always had lovely comments about his name.

liquidrevolution Wed 29-Jul-15 11:45:21

Am married to one. He is pretty cool. Only uses the full version though despite the 4 syllable surname. I also work for one as well who only uses Jon and has a one syllable surname.

cece Wed 29-Jul-15 11:47:58

I love it but then I do have one. He rarely gets called Jonathan though - everyone calls him Jonny. He also loves it - so versatile - Jonathan/Jonny/John. What's not to love?

TheApprentice Wed 29-Jul-15 11:52:40

I have an 8 year old Jonathan! Still love his name. We don't shorten it because he prefers Jonathan, but I would be happy with Johnny or Jon. Jonathan is not a derivative of John by the way. Its a name in its own right!

Belleview Wed 29-Jul-15 11:52:41

I love Jonathan. Don't care for John.

I always hear Jonathan as Jo + Nathan, rather than John + athon.

BoutrosBoutros Wed 29-Jul-15 12:19:47

Oh generally a positive response! Thanks for all the opinions, positive and otherwise, nothing I haven't thought to myself already. Good to hear from people with young Jonathans now and at you're all pleased with your choice. Personally I don't like Jon but I suppose the point of using the full name is that he'll have a choice!

ShipShapeAhoy Wed 29-Jul-15 13:16:33

I like Jonathan, Jonny and Jon. I think Jon is way better than John (sorry Johns).

BothEndsBurning Wed 29-Jul-15 13:27:06

I like it.

I don't like Jonty, but Jon is easier, and I also know a Jonathan who is known as Joe.

Cornberry Wed 29-Jul-15 22:37:03

Jonathan is a beautiful name. Know a Jonathan who is Joff for short.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now