Talk

Advanced search

Darcy for a boy?

(17 Posts)
BotBotticelli Tue 28-Jul-15 19:30:29

Opinions please! Do you like it?

I am 40+4 and we had decided on another name for DS2 (Finn) but I find myself rather taken with the idea of Darcy instead....in no way related to watching the old BBC Pride and Prejudice on Netflix, oh no...!

Not sure what DH will make of it!

starlight2007 Tue 28-Jul-15 19:33:04

I love it but thought it might be a little posh.. no crush on Mr Darcy so I had it for a middle name...

I don't know any other Darcy's only girl's Darcey

Forester Tue 28-Jul-15 19:36:06

I'm biased as I have a DD called Darcey so consider it a girls name but I've also come across a few other Darceys / Darcys and they are all girls. Though I am aware that it can be a boys name - particularly in Oz.

Iliveinalighthousewiththeghost Tue 28-Jul-15 20:21:28

Don't like it. To me it will always be a girls name, and not even a masculine girl's name. Very pretty.

Floggingmolly Tue 28-Jul-15 20:26:49

It's a girl's name. Or a surname.

EmmaWoodlouse Tue 28-Jul-15 20:52:41

I personally think Darcy sounds more suitable for a boy (maybe because the first one I ever heard of was the bass player Mark King's son?) but because it's now quite popular for girls, I'm not sure if I'd actually use it for a boy. He could end up like the boy Courtney I knew a few years ago, who ended up calling himself CJ when he was old enough to have a say.

Sophronia Tue 28-Jul-15 20:52:42

I know of a male Darcy born this year (in the UK).

PurpleDaisies Tue 28-Jul-15 20:55:40

Don't like it for a boy at all. Sorry.

Good luck with your new arrival.

CognitiveIllusion Tue 28-Jul-15 20:59:44

I know two 5-6yo Darcys, plus Darcey Bussell, all female. No boys.

Haggisfish Tue 28-Jul-15 21:03:33

Don't like it, sorry. And I think they may be bullied at school.

Winterqueen Tue 28-Jul-15 21:11:57

No sorry it's just too popular as a girls name. It would be mean on the poor boy to use it. I do prefer it on a boy btw but really you can't.

LeChien Tue 28-Jul-15 21:13:13

I've known it more as a boys name, I like it.

tubbytimmy Tue 28-Jul-15 21:15:04

I know a male Darcy. Suits him

Butkin Tue 28-Jul-15 21:17:48

DD's best friend (girl) is a Darcy and I think with popularity of Darcey Bussell people - particularly other children - will think it's weird for a boy.
If you really like it hide it as a middle name.

DoloresLandingham Tue 28-Jul-15 21:30:42

I think it's pretty well established as a girls' name in the UK.

Austen's Darcy's first name was Fitzwilliam...

How about Byron?

Babylove2015 Wed 05-Aug-15 17:33:52

I love it. I don't see it as a girls name ( other than the trend to name little girls after boys). It's more suited to a boy imo!

vintagerosesxo Wed 05-Aug-15 19:48:50

I love it for either gender really, but since Pride and Prejudice is my favourite book, and I practically worship Jane Austen, I'd choose it for a boy. grin My mother's still secretly (or not so secretly) hoping that when I have children, I'll have twin boys named Bennet(t) and Darcy hmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now