Talk

Advanced search

Private school names- infants

(45 Posts)
Chchchchanging Mon 27-Jul-15 23:51:50

Noticing how names trend in interested if anyone works at or has dc at private fee paying infant school or kindergarten ? Eg Oscar used to be 'posh' now it's not
Wondered what might be next?
The more Eton or Cheltenham ladies the better!!

manicinsomniac Tue 28-Jul-15 00:04:21

Yes, I do (well, I work in the prep section but we have an attached infant school and 2 of my children have been through it so far)

We have a wide range of names to be honest, nothing that really stands out as a norm.

A random selection of names currently or recently there (deliberately picked from a range of past/current pupils, ages and classes and not chosen anything too unique for obvious reasons!)

Ava, Darcey, Lauren, Tiffany, Melissa, Charlotte, Beatrice, Nina, Sara, Antigone, Nyari, Evie

Hugo, Charlie, Bertie, Angus, Gabriel, Tom, Jeremy, Toby, Billy, Lewis, Digby, Roka, Tito, Luke

BikeRunSki Tue 28-Jul-15 00:09:05

At least 14 of those names are represented in my dc's state preschool/year 1 classes, or the children's siblings. Not a posh village at all!

Iloveadrianmole Tue 28-Jul-15 00:18:30

I have 2 DC at private school and we have:

Camilla, Octavia, Natalia, Clementine, Antigone, Lucia, Harriet and Hetty

Toby, Hugo, Caspar, Digby, Bertie, Jonty and Sebastian

manicinsomniac Tue 28-Jul-15 00:23:04

I bet you've cherry picked the most stereotypical names there though, Iloveadrianmole Do you not have a full range of names if you look across the whole cross section?

reuset Tue 28-Jul-15 00:38:31

Not much different in my own experience. More traditional, classic 'boring' (as they're termed by a few bright sparks) names, is the only real difference. Also that you'll get the occasional very unusual or erudite name, or unusual with a family connection. Not so many of the very trendy name or made-up spellings. Though it depends on the private school, they vary so so much.

I'm guessing you;re thinking of upper classes setting the trend for the 'next big thing' Freakonomic style. I think that's bunkum, especially nowadays.

reuset Tue 28-Jul-15 00:41:33

I was thinking similar, manic. Most popular name for girls is probably Sophie, in middle/upper circles, in my experience. Previously would have been Jane or Sarah.

Iloveadrianmole Tue 28-Jul-15 00:58:31

We don't have many more pupils- tiny school not on mainland UK.

We have a couple of Charlottes and an Isabella too. In the boys we have an Alastair and an Alexander.

NanaNina Tue 28-Jul-15 01:12:27

What a strange OP - I'm curious as to why you want to know?

yallahabibi Tue 28-Jul-15 02:39:29

I find it interesting that the names of current or old boys in my husband's OE publications change little over the years.
No obvious trends at all.
Pratically all my husbands school pals have nick names though.Not one is just Henry , George or Alexander.

MamaLazarou Tue 28-Jul-15 06:38:54

Most of the girls at ours are called Imogen, Amelia or Ellie. There are only a few really posh names. For the boys, Archie, Harry, Oliver, Tom, etc. Only one Rafe, a few Hugos and a Torquil.

IsItStupid Tue 28-Jul-15 09:23:40

I help coach a year 3 girls' hockey team- we have Evangeline, Isabelle, Eloise, Charlotte, Helena, Marie, Madeline, and a couple of Indian and Chinese girls whose names are quite unique so I won't disclose them here!

IsItStupid Tue 28-Jul-15 09:24:12

Not sure if those are all that posh though.

BertrandRussell Tue 28-Jul-15 09:33:20

OP- you'll be fine with with any name that begins with K. Hyphenated names are good too. And it's considered particularly good form to take a traditional name and change the spelling.

reuset Tue 28-Jul-15 10:02:25

Yes, Bertrand has it spot on, OP. grin

Hulababy Tue 28-Jul-15 10:07:26

Dad's classes were quite traditional type names, nothing much that really stood out as different. : Emily, Ellie, Alexandra, Olivia, Sophie, Katie, Grace, etc.

EvilTwins Tue 28-Jul-15 10:14:43

I live in Cheltenham and the only girls I actually know at the Ladies College are called Harriet and Freya. I teach at a bog-standard comp and we also have girls called Freya and Harriet.

Ethelswith Tue 28-Jul-15 10:16:39

Nursery and Year R names:

Alayna, Alexandra, Amara, Alice, Anoushka, Audrey, Claudia, Cleo, Emily, Emma, Emmeline, Eva, Grace, Hannah, Hester, Imaara, Ines, Lexie, Maia, Mia, Mila, Olivia, Phoebe, Safiya, Selina, Sofia, Sophie, Stella, Violet, Zara

Adam, Alex, Angus, Archie, Arthur, Edward, Eshan, Ewan, Fred, Fergus, George, Harrison, Harry, Hugo, Jake, Jensen, Joseph, Krish, Leo, Lucas, Miles, Milo, Nathaniel, Nicholas, Omar, Paul, Peter, Philip, Ryan, Sebastian, Thomas, Zain,

EvilTwins Tue 28-Jul-15 10:17:12

My DDs have friends at out-of-school clubs who go to some of the posher prep and pre-prep schools. Names include Charlotte, Bethany, Emma and Imogen. They have friends at their own (state) school with the same names.

BertrandRussell Tue 28-Jul-15 11:05:28

At my dad's not private but posh school she had one classmate whose name stood out among the Emilys and Emmas. Frankly, I used to use it as avery slightly reassuring indicator that you could, despite appearances to the contrary,get into the school if you weren't as middle class as Waitrose hummus.

Then for 6th form she announced that the name she had used for the previous 5 years was a name she had chosen to call herself at the age of 10, and she was going to change back to her "proper" name- which was Sophia.............

cosmicglittergirl Tue 28-Jul-15 11:09:28

Never seen Antigone before, how do you say it? ( state school educated and teacher here!)

IsItStupid Tue 28-Jul-15 11:11:56

cosmic

I think it's anne-tihg-ohn-knee if that makes sense. The ending like Persephone.

LauraChant Tue 28-Jul-15 11:12:13

I would pronounce it An - tig - oh - nee.

LauraChant Tue 28-Jul-15 11:12:54

Cross post - I wasn't disagreeing with IsIt, I meant the same!

cosmicglittergirl Tue 28-Jul-15 11:32:37

Thanks, don't think I've come across it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now