Talk

Advanced search

my name short list - critique to your heart's content

(74 Posts)
RolyPolierThanThou Mon 27-Jul-15 21:20:39

No need to go soft, I'm quite happy to hear all opinions on our names shortlist, though if you can give a reason, that would help (in other words: I think the name is too boring = helpful and I'll take that on board vs my spoilt, bratty cousin had that name and I've still not forgiven her for cutting the hair off my Barbie = not likely to sway me much.

So girl names (in alphabetical order)

Alexandra (Alex, Lex, Lexi)
Eleanor (Ellie, Nell)
Harriet (Hattie, Harry)

Boy names:

Alexander (Alec, Alex, Xander)
Hugo (Huey)
Jeremy (Jerry, Jem)
Nathan/Nathaniel (Nate)

I've included some of DH's choices that I'm less keen on as I might be persuaded. Maybe. Feel free to add any of your own, though we're trying to avoid massively popular names (the Steve, Dave, Sue and Pamelas of the future) and definitely don't like unusual spellings. Classic names rather than trendy. No offence intended towards others who have different tastes in names.

GoooRooo Mon 27-Jul-15 21:24:56

As requested, I'm not holding back so apologies if I offend!

I like all your girl names a lot.

Of the boy names I LOVE Alexander, and really like Nathan/Nataniel. I don't like Hugo (makes me think of posh twats - sorry but you asked for my reason!) or Jeremy (it's a bit safe and boring)

RolyPolierThanThou Mon 27-Jul-15 21:29:04

Nope, no offence taken - just the sort of opinions I'm looking for. We had another name on the boys list that I struck off because it reminded me of an actual posh twat I know, even though I love his name. It's hard to shake those assocations. Let's see if anyone else has a similar vibe to you on the matter.

maybebabybee Mon 27-Jul-15 21:29:46

Agree that Hugo makes me think posh twat (sorry!) but suspect I'm in the minority as see it a lot on here.

I love Nathan. It would be on my own shortlist but DH hates it.

Alexander I don't like, only Alex, but I don't like long names.

Jeremy I think is boring.

Similarly with your girls names, I don't like the long versions but like the nicknames.

Writerwannabe83 Mon 27-Jul-15 21:30:46

I like Nat, definitely not a fan of your other boy's names.

Eleanor and Harriet are both lovely.

GoooRooo Mon 27-Jul-15 21:30:56

Posh twats have a lot to answer for grin

Only1scoop Mon 27-Jul-15 21:31:34

Girls names are all lovely

On your boys list I only like Alexander.

Only1scoop Mon 27-Jul-15 21:32:58

Ps 'Huey' makes me think of throwing up grin

pieceofpurplesky Mon 27-Jul-15 21:33:59

Alex (boy and girl), Nathan and Eleanor very popular. Loads in my high school
Love Hattie and the variation Hetty.
Hate Hugo and Jeremy
Nate though I love.

helentheheron Mon 27-Jul-15 21:34:11

Good names!

Hugo and Harriet are a bit posh for my liking but i really like Huey and Hatty.

Love Jem especially. I tend to like less "grr masculine" names for boys and less girly names for girls.

Would def pick Nathaniel over Nathan. Nathan just sounds a but naff IMO.

redautumnleaves Mon 27-Jul-15 21:36:17

I'm going against the trend... I always loved Hugo because of Victor Hugo who wrote Les Miserables. So that's my association rather than posh twats!

knackeredknees44 Mon 27-Jul-15 21:40:53

I love Hattie (always yearned to be called that as a child) and Nell. I prefer Hugh to Hugo, it is my son's middle name and I wish I had used it as his first name. I would avoid Ellie as a nickname - so many Ellies and Ellas at the moment.

maybebabybee Mon 27-Jul-15 21:41:04

But that Hugo would not have been pronounced the English way...I think it's the English pronounciation that makes it sound posh.

applecatchers36 Mon 27-Jul-15 21:42:17

Love Eleanor & Alexander out of your list, they seem strong, classic , elegant names, not too trendy, not too boring...

LibrariesGaveUsPower Mon 27-Jul-15 21:45:05

Eleanor will be Ellie and is just a bit blah. It is a shame because Eleanor is a lovely strong name. But it just merges into the masses of Ellie, Ella, Molly, Milly etc super short, super girly , ie ending names.

Alexandra is nice. So long as not Lexie.

Harriet is fab
smile

mirren3 Mon 27-Jul-15 21:46:46

Eleanor and Alexander would be my vote, however my neice is Alexandra and is my main reason for not liking that for a girl. Hugo, no way. Nathan, again no, and Jeremy, think Clarkson ��.
No holding back from me, hope that's ok.

LibrariesGaveUsPower Mon 27-Jul-15 21:47:14

I like most of the boys names. Alexander very popular if that matters.

Our area is middle class, not posh, and I know a Hugo. Nate is nice.

reuset Mon 27-Jul-15 21:54:10

I like them all, a rare list!

Favourites from each

Harriet
Hugo

Stingingthistle Mon 27-Jul-15 21:57:43

Really like them all!

Girls, favourite probably Eleanor but all very nice. Less keen on the nickname lexi.

Boys, favourite def Nathaniel /Nate. Alexander nice but a little boring. Hugo great but not keen on Huey. Jeremy hmm I actually quite like it but it does sound middle aged eg I think Jeremy Paxton, Kyle, Vine, Clarkson... Then again also think of "Jezza" Peep Show (don't like Jezza nickname, do like Jem a lot!) At the moment I'd be worried about Corbyn connotations but hopefully he will soon be old news.

RolyPolierThanThou Mon 27-Jul-15 21:58:02

mirren3 how bad can your niece be to have put you off Alexandra?

Seems Hugo is just too posh/too twatty and Jeremy a bit on the dull side (and also the Clarkson assocation <shudder>. I'm veering away from Nathan as my sister has an ex boyfriend with the name so I ought to run it past her first. He wasn't a bad 'un, just not willing to commit.

Ellie would blend in a bit too much with all the other Ellies and Ellas, I suppose. Looks like Alex has wide appeal for both sexes. I was nearly named Alexandra but my dad overruled my mum and chose another name that no one could pronounce in the country we were living in (thanks dad).

Ipushedmygrannyaffabus Mon 27-Jul-15 22:00:38

Alexandra and Eleanor (Nell) are fabulous! Harriet is a bit 'square' and posh sounding to me, though if you are posh Hattie is quite nice.

Like your boys names, but Hugo is a bit too posh-twat (though Hugh is nice) and Jeremy a) reminds me of Jeremy Kyle and b) sounds a bit like germy. Nathan seems a bit meh but Nate is fabulous and both Nathan and Alexander are great names for both boys and men.

helentheheron Mon 27-Jul-15 22:01:56

Jeremiah would be another way to get to Jem/Jerry (maybe perceived as less "dull"?)

ch1134 Mon 27-Jul-15 22:03:16

I like all your boys' names but find Harriet and Eleanor a bit stuffy.

AngieBolen Mon 27-Jul-15 22:03:19

The only one I'm not keen on is Nathan.

ArsenalsPlayingAtHome Mon 27-Jul-15 22:03:35

Jeremy is very boring, but quite like Jem, not enough to warrant having Jeremy as a first name, mind! smile.

Nathan is very wishy washy imho, and will be shortened to Nat. As a nickname, it makes me think of an annoying little insect!

I prefer Hugh to Hugo.

Not keen on any of your girls' names - hate Lexie with a passion. Someone upthread said that Eleanor is a strong name - confused. To me it's very bland and nondescript.

I love Nell, though. If I had another daughter, I'd consider it as a first name in its own right.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now