Talk

Advanced search

Juno - is the nickname June inevitable?

(13 Posts)
marshallzumarubble Mon 27-Jul-15 11:24:56

We are currently expecting our third little girl and we both really like the name Juno.

The thing is though, that neither of us like 'June', 'Juney' is fine, especially for a little girl but not June.

Is the nickname inevitable?

Juno is so lovely that I would guess that we would call her that on an every day basis but, of course, as she gets older she may wish to shorten it or other people may automatically shorten it, so, if we don't want a June then is Juno a silly choice?

Is it akin to calling your son Jonathan and hating the name Jon?

Can anyone offer any other short forms on Juno that we could potentially encourage instead?!

Iliveinalighthousewiththeghost Mon 27-Jul-15 13:12:56

Yes I guess it could be. The golden rule with names is that if you do not like even one of the abbreviations then avoid the name. Not only will you get fed up of correcting folk but your dd may decide she wants to be known as June.
I'm with you about June by the way. I think it's a horrible name but
I think Juno is a beautiful name completely different to June and doesn't need a nn, but you know how nn work people insist.

Ziglinda Mon 27-Jul-15 13:16:11

I know a Juno. She's only ever called that, never June. I think Juno rolls off the tongue easily so it won't necessarily get shortened.

marshallzumarubble Mon 27-Jul-15 15:44:03

I agree on the golden rule Iliveinalighthousewiththeghost, hmmmm.... it may be back to the drawing board! DH suggested Juniper and then calling her Juno but to be honest, people may just shorten the nickname!

I do agree that it rolls off the tongue beautifully Ziglinda, is it worth the risk?

Any other potential nicknames/shortenings anyone can think of?

wigglesrock Mon 27-Jul-15 16:38:39

I think it's worth the risk smile I have an Anna, she never been called Anne.

CherryGarcia1 Mon 27-Jul-15 18:56:19

I absolutely LOVE Juno. Its unique, beautiful and strong too!

Junosmum Mon 27-Jul-15 21:31:22

I have Juno, never ever gets shortened.

reuset Mon 27-Jul-15 21:52:38

More likely Juney, but June is a possibility, out of fashion though it is.

I prefer June actually, even though June is out of fashion, compared to the trendy Juno, and far less popular in stat terms than Juno also.

moonshineonthegarden Mon 27-Jul-15 23:04:43

I love Juno but in terms of other potential short names or nicknames there's always Juju.?

badtime Mon 27-Jul-15 23:41:17

I wouldn't even think that was likely. It's such an obviously different name. It would be like shortening Emily to Emma.

kaftanlady Mon 27-Jul-15 23:51:58

I agree with badtime, June is a totally different name, I'd be surprised if she gets called that.

hilzypop Mon 27-Jul-15 23:59:19

Um probs not what you want to hear but i had a dog called Juno, we never called her June! Never even thought of it. We called her Junebug though! Think Juno is a gorgeous girls name totally regrett calling my dog it now!

HuftysTrain Wed 29-Jul-15 08:31:49

I met a Juno. I said "oh, I love that film" to which her 5 year old sister replied "She's not named after the film, mummy loved the name already and hadn't even seen it when Juno was born." Tickled me that the 5 year old had obviously heard it so many times she had her answer ready.

Anyway, no, of course she wouldn't get June.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now