Talk

Advanced search

How popular is the name Anna?

(17 Posts)
zippyswife Sat 25-Jul-15 21:04:37

I'm pregnant with dc3 and in love with the name Anna but I have no idea how popular it is at the moment. I am hoping its a fairly underused name but if it's on the rise I might have to rethink! Any ideas?

Sansarya Sat 25-Jul-15 21:13:05

I think it's on the rise thanks to Frozen, but also thanks to Frozen people think it's pronounced "Arhna"!

zippyswife Sat 25-Jul-15 21:16:15

Yes- I'm gutted that it was used in frozen. Maybe I need a rethink!

wigglesrock Sat 25-Jul-15 21:31:35

I have one, she's 4.5. She's starting primary school in September and they'll be 2 in her year group - one in each class. Same in her nursery school. It was always a popular name anyway where I live, so it doesn't really bother me. I would say that if you really love a name, use it. You can never tell how names can work out. I have an older daughter with an extremely popular name - begins with O. She's the only one in her school year, none of her friends in the street are called it. We don't know any others, none of her friends siblings are called and her age puts her right in the middle of peak useage smile

barbecue Sat 25-Jul-15 21:59:24

I don't know any little Annas. Lovely classic name.

Sophronia Sat 25-Jul-15 22:25:45

I know a few in their 20s or older, but I don't know any children called Anna.

choppychopster Sat 25-Jul-15 22:37:36

I have a 3yo Anna. Lovely classic name. Just so happens that DD looks like a mini Anna from Frozen so we do get lots of comments about it. Don't know any other kids with the same name although there is an Annie starting at school with her in September.

SisterNancySinatra Sat 25-Jul-15 22:39:24

I know two , but teenagers .

etKrusTe Sat 25-Jul-15 22:40:21

I think there'll always be some. I'd guess that it stays between the top 30 and the top 50, always. But it'd never be in the top 15. People are too used to it for it to ever be super popular.
I could be wrong. I like it. My son, he's so posh wink he thought it was Honor and Elsa.

FastWindow Sat 25-Jul-15 22:47:14

I like Anna but the Americanised version Ohhna in Frozen annoys me- it's meant to represent the Norwegian pronunciation of Anna. It should be shorter - Uhn-nah.

beadyboo Sat 25-Jul-15 22:52:15

I have an Anna, she's 7 and the only one in her school of 300 kids. I think it's popularity had fallen, but it may be on the increase due to the Frozen factor.
I still love it though. It's a classic name, and it suits her, however people often think she's called Hannah, which seems to be much more popular where we live.

zippyswife Sat 25-Jul-15 22:59:17

Thanks for the replies. It doesn't sound too popular from what you're all saying. Likelihood is dc3 will end up being ds3 but if not Anna will be a definite contender!

cecilelliott Sun 26-Jul-15 20:38:33

I think it's definitely on the rise again. There are four Annas under 6 living round me! And one Annabel.

eaiand2 Sun 26-Jul-15 20:40:10

I don't think it's popular and not as 'Frozen' as Elsa, especially if you don't pronounce it ah-na. I prefer Anne, though..

dietcokeisgreat Sun 26-Jul-15 20:42:10

I know 4 under 5 ( south england) - two born in last few weeks!

Lovely choice though.

RiverTam Sun 26-Jul-15 20:49:46

Name popularity to very regional, I've never come across loads if apparently popular names, especially girls names.

(As an aside, the pronunciation of Anna in Frozen isn't Norwegian, and in fact Anna isnt a Norwegian name. It would be Anne pronounced Anna with the 'a' being quite short.)

bumblingbovine49 Sun 26-Jul-15 20:57:03

That is my name but my parent are Italian and I am 50 years old so certainly ot a child. I know a few Annas in my Italian family living in Italy but don't know anyone of my English friends or family with that name. I had one Polish friend with the same name in secondary school but no other children in the school had that name that I knew of.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now