Talk

Advanced search

Tilden?

(20 Posts)
Lorksalordy Sat 25-Jul-15 09:06:06

Old English boys name (probably deriving from an English placename/surname). Can you share your connotations/expectations/first impressions please?

JasperDamerel Sat 25-Jul-15 09:11:06

I had never heard of it, but like it. It reminds me a bit of Tilda, but that's a name I like, too. My children have unusual names, though, so I am possibly not the best person to get opinions from.

LongLankyLegs Sat 25-Jul-15 09:13:47

I don't like it, sorry. Makes me think of Tilda rice.

TeaPleaseLouise Sat 25-Jul-15 09:18:05

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

EdithWeston Sat 25-Jul-15 09:34:52

It's an Old English vocabulary word, that became a surname, that is a modern first name.

I'm pretty sure it wasn't used as a name in Old English.

I've not come across it before (ancient or modern) and think it's OK. Like TeaPleaseLouise I'd probably assume you were using a surname to honour a family member.

Lorksalordy Sat 25-Jul-15 09:38:30

Sorry I don't mean Old English, just old English (as in online snooping tells me it was used in Victorian times as a first name a bit).

Thanks for all your feedback so far!

BothEndsBurning Sat 25-Jul-15 10:51:36

I don't like it.

Big risk that he will get teased and called Tilly, too.

Themoleandcrew Sat 25-Jul-15 10:54:09

I know a Tilden. It's my cousins son. There were a few raised eyebrows in the family when it was announced I will say. Personally I don't love it but it doesn't make me all twitchy and judgy.

squoosh Sat 25-Jul-15 11:14:31

I've never heard it before. I'd assume it was a surname from the family tree.

CakeRattleandRoll Sat 25-Jul-15 13:34:24

I quite like it. My only reservation would be getting the nn Tilly.

Fugghetaboutit Sat 25-Jul-15 13:55:12

I thought of Tilda Rice too grin but it's not an offensive name at all, it's soft sounding. I don't mind it

sycamore54321 Sat 25-Jul-15 21:56:16

It sounds like "children" to me on first impression. But I think it is quite nice if you're happy with an unusual name. What does the original vocabulary word mean?

Lorksalordy Sun 26-Jul-15 08:34:56

Thanks all. I think it means fertile valley. I was worried that the 'den' ending would make it sound like Jordan/Kayden/Hayden etc. so relieved this hasn't come up (nothing against anybody with these names but I must have taught about twenty Jordans and wanted something a bit different!).

Boysclothes Sun 26-Jul-15 09:02:11

I don't think it's very easy to say. I stumble a bit on the l-d transition. My tongue wants to say Tiw-den Essex style.

nooka Sun 26-Jul-15 09:08:36

It doesn't really sound like a name to me to be honest. I think if I heard someone call out 'Tilden' I'd assume I'd misheard 'children'.

I wonder if it's really been used as a first name in the past - ancestry.com has it as a relatively common surname, and the babyname wizard has it as never in the top ten (since 1880) both are American of course.

I'd also be a bit cautious of online babyname origin accounts, I suspect some are completely made up.

RiverTam Sun 26-Jul-15 09:10:36

Not keen but I don't like Til names in general.

Janethegirl Sun 26-Jul-15 09:15:19

I thought of Tilda rice too, sorry!

SingForBacon Sun 26-Jul-15 09:17:23

Sorry but I'm not keen on it. I assumed it was a girls name when I read the title (having never heard the name before) - maybe cos it sounds a bit like Hilda?

BothEndsBurning Sun 26-Jul-15 11:48:44

I actually prefer Jordan, and that's saying something.

Iliveinalighthousewiththeghost Sun 26-Jul-15 19:42:13

Don't like it. Sounds like Till then to me, and it could be abbreviated to Tilly.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now