Talk

Advanced search

Rhyming surname?

(24 Posts)
Thoughtfulduck Fri 24-Jul-15 11:05:37

I really love the name Wren for a dd, however our surname is Benson. I can't help but be irritated by the slight rhyme there.

Please tell me, will this be something others will pick up on and will it matter?

ErrolTheDragon Fri 24-Jul-15 11:13:38

I think the rhyme with the first syllable of the surname works quite well, actually - flows off the tongue nicely IMO.

consuleo Fri 24-Jul-15 11:21:20

It sounds like a packet of cigarettes. Wren is a daft name anyway.

ThroughThickAndThin01 Fri 24-Jul-15 11:24:26

I think it's awful, sorry. The rhyming bit that is, not necessarily the name itself.

Iliveinalighthousewiththeghost Fri 24-Jul-15 11:41:59

Oh. Wren Benson I think it sounds good.
I mean if your last name was Benn I would not advise you to use the name but the "son" at the end just gives it that edge and appeal

Thoughtfulduck Fri 24-Jul-15 11:48:41

Consuleo do you think the association comes from benson and hedges? I can't do much about the surname, and I obviously don't think Wren is a 'daft' name, but thanks anyway.

Thanks everyone else, it seems people have very different opinions! I just can't decide whether I think it flows nicely or sounds wrong...

ch1134 Fri 24-Jul-15 12:49:53

I don't think it flows I'm afraid. ..

ShipShapeAhoy Fri 24-Jul-15 12:53:25

I think it flows well. Wren isn't a name I would choose but I don't think it's daft or anything.

MrsLeighHalfpenny Fri 24-Jul-15 12:53:59

It's better than Jenson Benson, but I don't like Wren as a name (I realise that's not what you asked us)

ShipShapeAhoy Fri 24-Jul-15 12:55:04

Oh and if I met a Wren Benson I don't think I'd really notice the slight rhyme.

Wishful80sMontage Fri 24-Jul-15 12:56:12

It doesn't rhyme but I'm not sure it flow either

PallasCat Fri 24-Jul-15 18:55:28

I think it works well, and I love the name Wren. But... you'll be hearing this name a lot, so if it irritates you now, I'd proceed with caution!

Nospringflower Fri 24-Jul-15 18:57:57

I like Wren and the rhyming doesn't bother me but I don't think it flows very well. But not awful so if you really like it why not?!

Mynd Fri 24-Jul-15 19:03:39

I think it works. It's memorable and yes, I wish Wren worked as well with my surname sad

Quasilulu Sat 25-Jul-15 01:46:07

My next door neighbour has a Jennifer Jenkins...I like it and Wren Benson.

consuleo Sat 25-Jul-15 11:40:57

No you can't do much about the surname but you can do something about the first name

LovethenameDaphne Sat 25-Jul-15 13:53:31

This name combo sounds fine, I actually like it and Wren is lovely. People tend to overthink on babynames threads more than in real life. I've known a Gwillam Gwillam, and a Luke Lucas - both far sillier than Wren Benson and people tend to just think it's cool. Choose a 2 syllable surname to break it up. Eg. Wren Marie Benson - perfect!

LovethenameDaphne Sat 25-Jul-15 13:56:50

2 syllable middle name I meant!!

Yarp Sat 25-Jul-15 20:12:20

Nice

I like Wren

CarlaJones Sat 25-Jul-15 20:23:44

I like Wren, but don't think it works well with the surname

Billynoname Sat 25-Jul-15 22:33:29

Sorry, it doesn't work. I posted a similar question on here last year when naming my little girl (far more ridiculous than your suggestion btw) and was told it was a no. I was do grateful for those views- my pregnancy addled brain just really wanted the name but it was terrible with my surname. I am so so glad I didn't do it. Much as you want up convince yourself it works, the fact that you're on here asking tells me you know deep down it doesn't!!

consuleo Sat 25-Jul-15 23:20:24

Oh yes like Benson and Hedges. I briefly worked in a supermarket as a student and people would come in and ask for "Ten Benson, please."

SingForBacon Mon 27-Jul-15 19:02:53

I think if I met a Wren Benson I'd be tempted to spoonerise it and call her Ben Wrenson because that is an annoying habit I have. Sorry.

Mum2Boys15 Mon 27-Jul-15 19:18:30

Wren is a lovely name. Really unique, nice choice. I think it goes nice with the name.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now