Talk

Advanced search

caoimhe

(87 Posts)
birchygoo Wed 22-Jul-15 20:00:13

help from Irish ppl on how its said in your area but also keen to hear from English how difficult you would find this to say

I am from ulster currently living in England. in ulster we would say keeva. talking from friend from Dublin she mentioned they would always say qweva.

just wondering in different areas would they all be qweva? and if I did call a girl this would she have lots of issues with it in England? I do know one little caoimhe here in England already both English parents and said as keeva.

I know you are just going to say spell it keeva - but nope I'm awkward and keeva I don't like sp.

boys names I'm finding much easier as enda is one and it can be read as seen

please don't slate my names I'm not interested in if you don't like them. if we all liked same names it would be hard to tell us apart! also we will be returning home.

GoodToesBadToes Wed 22-Jul-15 20:01:57

I'm from dublin and have always said qweeva.
Beautiful name but in the UK it would be a total nightmare

Sophronia Wed 22-Jul-15 20:02:42

I'm from England and I'd pronounce it 'keeva'

callamia Wed 22-Jul-15 20:04:57

I have a colleague called Caoimhe, she introduced herself as Keeva, so that's what she's called. It's not hard! I think it's really a good name.

swallowed Wed 22-Jul-15 20:06:50

I'm English and I wouldn't have a clue how to pronounce it. Sorry!

Only1scoop Wed 22-Jul-15 20:10:31

It's a really beautiful name I love it. I am English and say Kweeva but that's only because we met a little girl on holiday in Ireland with the name and know how to pronounce it.

I think it would be a spelling and pronunciation nightmare here.

I used to work with a Grainne she changed her name to Grarnia on her name badge as customers pronounced it Grey Knee.

It's a truly lovely name though.

reuset Wed 22-Jul-15 20:12:41

More like Kweeva (I'm not Irish speaker, but Irish relatives)

This is one where I'd stick with the Irish spelling. Keeva and Keevy are both unattractive to my eye

grabaspoon Wed 22-Jul-15 20:13:07

Dublin -- Kee vah

FortyFacedFuckers Wed 22-Jul-15 20:13:17

In Scotland and my friends daughter is called this we say it as keeva.

IMurderedStampyLongnose Wed 22-Jul-15 20:14:21

Northern Ireland here,Keeva for me.

FortyFacedFuckers Wed 22-Jul-15 20:14:41

Also just to add I think it's a beautiful name!

WhatWouldBlairWaldorfDo Wed 22-Jul-15 20:14:58

Im english and say it keeva

I used to work in a nursery that had twin girls caoimhe and aoibheann

Beautiful names but i did have to work on the spelling a bit smile

vvviola Wed 22-Jul-15 20:15:02

Dublin-ish (Munster Irish at school): Qweeva.

I love it. But my husband's Kiwi relatives would have mangled it, so I couldn't use it grin

feelingdizzy Wed 22-Jul-15 20:15:12

I'm from Dublin there is was kweeva ,I lived for years in the north west of Ireland there it seemed to be keeva. One of my closest friends is called this she now lives in London the pronunciations are anything from Kevin to cammy !!

bobajob Wed 22-Jul-15 20:17:17

I'm English and would say Keeva. Love the name but the English might struggle with the spelling.

TiredAssShowgirl Wed 22-Jul-15 20:17:30

Keeva. Love it, it's going to be eventual DD2s name.

I'm in England, people learn!

BeautifulBatman Wed 22-Jul-15 20:18:01

My mum is from Dublin and would say Keeva. But it should of course be spelled properly.

FizzyGood Wed 22-Jul-15 20:18:05

I wouldn't know by looking at it, but as a best guess I would liken it to Niamh and pronounce it Keeeiv. Then I'd blush for getting it wrong....

SurlyCue Wed 22-Jul-15 20:18:14

Ulster here and Keeva.

Diggum Wed 22-Jul-15 20:19:13

I'm from Galway and would say qweeva but I'd know to say Keeva if she was from Donegal/Northern Ireland.

Beautiful name and FWIW I have an impossible to pronounce Irish name but it wasn't a problem when I was little and living in UK. I'm not a bit bothered if someone gets my name wrong. Sometimes don't even correct them. But that wouldn't stop me choosing an Irish name (I picked a consonant-rich name for DD) as I think if it's a situation other than, say, a receptionist calling out your name, most people will make the effort to learn the correct pronunciation. Plus I love Irish names and I'd hate to see them die out because they aren't intuitive to pronounce for non-Irish speakers. End of gentle rant.

LillyBugg Wed 22-Jul-15 20:19:20

I've never seen this name before and wouldn't have a clue. I'm in SE England and work in a school so I see a lot of names! I'd say there would be issues in England with it.

AlmaMartyr Wed 22-Jul-15 20:20:40

I'm English and would say keeva. Beautiful name.

CherryBonBon Wed 22-Jul-15 20:21:59

Northern Irish and my cousin is Keev-ee.

But the others I know are Keeva.

I don't like the sound of the kwee iyswim.

specialsubject Wed 22-Jul-15 20:22:36

I met a little girl with this name. Easy to pronounce ONCE you have been told how.

turdfairynomore Wed 22-Jul-15 20:23:19

NI and I'd say Keeva but know a Caoimhe from Cork who pronounces her name as Kweeva.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now