Talk

Advanced search

Harry potter names

(58 Posts)
fawkes182 Tue 21-Jul-15 17:20:19

Hello! Need some help as my brain is literally a bowl of mush thanks to the current cooking baby!

Anyway we find out the sex of our baby on the 29th of july and we are thinking of names... usual problem the names I suggest n like the other half doesn't vise versa etc etc! I don't like traditional, I like different or American names. I am also a geek... so geek names linking to films/books I like too. My fav being harry potter. I'm utterly obsessed with harry potter!

Anyway we seem to have agreed on a boys name.. We both like felix :-) my other half likes it as it's Latin for happy/lucky and I like it cos it's the name of the creator of the liquid luck potion in harry potter so I love it as it's harry potter themed but not too obviously harry potter.
Girls names we can't seem to agree. I'm totally and utterly in love with luna... He's on the fence he hasn't said no which is a good thing but he's not said yes either. Also some ppl I've mentioned luna too have all pulled all face or commented that it's stupid... its now starting to make me wonder. But I can think past luna for a girl so anyone got any ideas? Harry potter themed? Xxx

ThoseAwfulCurtains Tue 21-Jul-15 17:23:08

I love the name Luna - even without the HP thing. It just sounds lovely.

LeChien Tue 21-Jul-15 17:24:35

I like Luna.
From Harry potter I also like Minerva and Rowena.

fawkes182 Tue 21-Jul-15 17:26:22

I'm glad I'm not the only one who likes luna! I think it's so lovely and my family n friends all think it's wierd and silly... I made the mistake of telling them my ideas! Doh! Xxx

fawkes182 Tue 21-Jul-15 17:27:28

No one like felix either part from me n the other half. All I got was 'but that's a cat!?!' Grrrrrr! X

jamaisdeux Tue 21-Jul-15 17:30:36

Hermione?

jamaisdeux Tue 21-Jul-15 17:31:29

Luna is not a great name here in Spain.

It is very common.

fawkes182 Tue 21-Jul-15 17:31:44

I'm not a fan of hermione I must admit I don't like the sound of it. Someone suggested ariana which is dumbledors sister which I quite like if I really can't have luna x

BertrandRussell Tue 21-Jul-15 17:32:15

I know a Hermione known as Mi- any use?

fawkes182 Tue 21-Jul-15 17:32:45

Is it really??? Oh I'm gonna tell the oh! I'm glad it's not as odd as ppl are making out to me! Xxx

fawkes182 Tue 21-Jul-15 17:33:47

Awww mi reminds me of little mi from the moomins lol xxx

ThinkIveBeenHacked Tue 21-Jul-15 17:35:45

DD also has literary names (though not HPeven though Im a massive fan).

Felix is a brilliant name with or without the HP connection. Similarly Luna.

I also like Molly, Ginny, Rose (Hermione and Rons dd),and Helena.

BertrandRussell Tue 21-Jul-15 17:35:49

She gets ever so cross when people call her Little Mi now she's 5!

ThinkIveBeenHacked Tue 21-Jul-15 17:37:36

Lavender?

ThinkIveBeenHacked Tue 21-Jul-15 17:38:27

Penelope

TheImprobableGirl Tue 21-Jul-15 17:39:58

I love Luna, unfortunately we have one in th family already so it was a no go sad

Common ones are Lily, Helena/rowena, charity (burbage), poppy (Pomfrey), molly, etc. If you wanted something more unusual you could go for ginevra, andromeda, arianna's a nice one (dumbledores sister), nymphadora if you dont mind the nymphomaniac association... Erm.... Mrs norris?! grin

ThinkIveBeenHacked Tue 21-Jul-15 17:40:50

Rita

Fleur

DrSeuss Tue 21-Jul-15 17:41:32

Ginevra (Weasley)
Minerva (McGonagal)
Joanne Kathleen
Bellatrix (Lestrange)

BanditoShipman Tue 21-Jul-15 17:42:09

Myrtle, I think it's ace

Donatellalymanmoss Tue 21-Jul-15 17:42:22

Out of the girls names mentioned I think Ariana would be top of my list.

DrSeuss Tue 21-Jul-15 17:42:44

Scabbers?
Crookshanks?

EElisavetaOfBelsornia Tue 21-Jul-15 17:44:40

Minerva, Ginevra, Bathtilda or Romilda. I dare you grin

Or, Lily.

MirandaGoshawk Tue 21-Jul-15 17:47:59

Miranda grin (My MN nn!) Miranda Goshawk is the author of one of the books that Harry has to have for school.

Isn't there an Artemis? Or maybe I'm thinking of Artemis Fowl... anyway I love that name.

TheImprobableGirl Tue 21-Jul-15 17:51:52

You could also have sybil, bella(trix) Alice (Longbottom), fleur/Gabrielle (delacour) pomona (sprout) mariella, Dolores, cho, alecto/amycus (carrow, can't remember which ones female!)

Iwasbornin1993 Tue 21-Jul-15 17:52:33

Sybil
Cho
Dolores
Gabrielle (Fleur's younger sister)
Katie (Bell)

Love Luna and also Lily.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now