Talk

Advanced search

Rhyming cousins?

(13 Posts)
WearingPinkPyjamas Sun 19-Jul-15 22:30:48

Dsis has a Holly. Is it allowed to call our dd Polly? Always liked it. But kids have no other cousins as dh is only child so is it weird if their name rhymes with their only cousin? (Holly has other cousins)

mathanxiety Sun 19-Jul-15 22:56:47

I would see no problem at all with it. It's not like taking the same name.

mathanxiety Sun 19-Jul-15 22:57:22

You could ask your sister to think about how she feels and tell you.

barbecue Sun 19-Jul-15 23:49:57

I think it's fine.

BackforGood Mon 20-Jul-15 00:01:53

I don't think it's an issue at all. It's rare their names are going to be said together.

Dixiebell Mon 20-Jul-15 13:31:15

Hmm. I think I'd avoid it. I have a neice called Evie, and although I like Ivy, I'd probably not use it as too close, just seems weird for the grandparents. However, if it was the one name that I really loved I'd probably go for it anyway.

CheersMedea Wed 22-Jul-15 10:27:23

Don't be silly. If you like it go for it.

The chances of these girls being close friends or interacting a lot as adults I probably low or at best uncertain.

I can't stand it when people take decisions like this based on what other people have already done! Other people wouldn't afford you that courtesy - so do what you want.

Thoughtfulduck Sun 26-Jul-15 18:06:28

I know twins called Ronnie and Connie hmm Which I find strange.

But I think for cousins it's ok, I guess you have to weigh up how much you like it. If it's your absolute favourite then I say go for it! If there are others you like equally maybe try to avoid.

YeOldeTrout Sun 26-Jul-15 18:07:04

3 of DC have rhyming names. Nobody but me ever notices.

ThroughThickAndThin01 Sun 26-Jul-15 18:10:21

I think with cousins its fine.

cece Sun 26-Jul-15 18:12:24

I think it's fine. I know siblings with rhyming names - now that is not acceptable in my opinion.

etKrusTe Sun 26-Jul-15 18:12:34

I wouldn't but............. if you have a low bar, it's ok. I'd feel for the grandparents talking about their gc, holly and polly

Hassled Sun 26-Jul-15 18:14:42

Depends how much you see of each other, I think. We have rhyming cousins - a Fred and Ted type thing - but they live in different countries and are very seldom together.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now