Talk

Advanced search

Have a James....can I have a George? Help before I kill DH

(41 Posts)
Gobbolinothewitchscat Sun 19-Jul-15 18:48:21

DH and I generally get along very harmoniously.....apart from when it comes to choosing baby names. angry

We have a DS - 2 and a DD - 1 and are expecting DC3 in November.

DS is James and DD has an E name.

I have a sneaking suspicion that this baby is also a boy. One of the few names we can agree on for a boy is George.

However, I'm a bit worried that this will sound too similar to James - particularly bearing in mind the very close age gap.

Any thought prepares for the brutal onslaught! or alternatives? We are quite boring and classic but have a good two syllable surname that most names go with

Boysclothes Sun 19-Jul-15 18:50:07

Yes. I know a few families with a George and a James. I also know two boys called George James/James George!

They seem completely dissimilar to me.

FunkyPeacock Sun 19-Jul-15 18:50:27

I can't see why you can't have a James & a George - they don't sounds that similar to my ear

Gobbolinothewitchscat Sun 19-Jul-15 18:53:49

Oh that's good. I didn't know if it was too "J"-ish!

cosmicglittergirl Sun 19-Jul-15 18:58:52

I think they go well.

Perfectlypurple Sun 19-Jul-15 18:59:59

I know a James and George. It goes fine.

TravellingToad Sun 19-Jul-15 19:00:49

I asked the same question a while ago as I thought they were too similar and everyone said I could have them.

TheEmpressofBlandings Sun 19-Jul-15 19:07:44

I have a James (and a dd with an 'E' name..) and I'd very happily have used George. Good classic names!

Gobbolinothewitchscat Sun 19-Jul-15 19:08:40

DH is currently punching the air!

Now we have a boy's name we will definitely have a girl grin

Sleepybunny Sun 19-Jul-15 19:12:56

Georgia for a girl then. Job done grin

marmiteontoast76 Sun 19-Jul-15 21:05:27

I have a George and a DD with an E name. If DC3 is a boy we'd love to use James.

barbecue Sun 19-Jul-15 21:09:14

I think it's too J-ish, sorry.

Gobbolinothewitchscat Sun 19-Jul-15 21:15:12

The other issue (sorry for drip feed!) is that DH and I have J names too

barbecue - I feel you're my name conscience in my head

I don't want people laughing behind our backs and calling us the Duggars!

On the other hand, I do like George. And DH's only other suggestion is Spartacus....

Signoritawhocansway Sun 19-Jul-15 21:17:01

Both Roald Dahl heros... but luckily you E name girl probably isn't. Go for it grin

villainousbroodmare Sun 19-Jul-15 21:20:25

Go for it!

I know a (lovely) family with an Amy and a Jamie. Not even Amy and James. I think that's a bit too similar in sound.

TRexingInAsda Sun 19-Jul-15 21:22:54

George is a lovely name and goes nicely with James. Spartacus, erm, not so much!

suze28 Sun 19-Jul-15 21:26:38

My sister has George, William and James in that order.

Ipushedmygrannyaffabus Sun 19-Jul-15 23:27:24

I think it's fine - I know someone with a Harriet and a Harry, which is taking it too far IMHO!!

BothEndsBurning Sun 19-Jul-15 23:58:58

I am baffled by your question. James and George are not that similar. They begin with the same sound, but not the same letter, and are not assonances.

Now if you were considering John and Jonathan, or Joseph and Josiah, or Robert and Robin, I can see an issue. But in comparison, James and George have little in common.

Sophronia Mon 20-Jul-15 00:29:54

They're fine together, both are great names.

Gobbolinothewitchscat Mon 20-Jul-15 07:04:54

I understand they don't start with the same letter - that's why I didn't spell George as "Jeorge"

But my point was did they sound too similar

Thanks for all the input all

Thatsnotmybabyname Mon 20-Jul-15 08:40:17

I think it is fine and they don't sound too similar at all, it would never have occurred to me. Lovely names, you can't go wrong!

BikeRunSki Mon 20-Jul-15 08:44:27

They sound fine. I know brothers called George, James and Jack, and that's all fine.

ThroughThickAndThin01 Mon 20-Jul-15 08:48:43

I know a family with George James and William in that order. Same names as a pp, different order though.

James and George are absolutely fine together.

Wafflenose Mon 20-Jul-15 10:03:06

I have no idea why you can't have both. It's a very popular combination - I know a few pairs!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now