Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Baby girl name help please

(16 Posts)
ExcitedlyExpecting Fri 17-Jul-15 14:24:00

So our first child is due in just over 6 weeks (excited!). We've found out were expecting a baby girl but can't find a name we both love. Were planning on making final decisions when she arrives but need a shortlist. It currently keeps changing so was wondering if you could help us.
We loved Isabelle but has now been vetoed as seems hugely popular at the moment.
We like Amelia (Millie), but again it does seem popular at the moment. Also like Imogen and Samantha.
Basically we don't want anything overly popular but don't want an 'odd' name either.
Joanna is creeping up the list.
Any help gratefully received x

MitzyLeFrouf Fri 17-Jul-15 15:35:03

I love Samantha. I think it's got a bit more backbone than the very girlie names that are currently popular eg. Isabelle and Amelia. Plus Sam is a great nickname on a girl.

And another plus, it's a pretty uncommon name at the moment so there won't be three others in her class.

MummyPiggy87 Fri 17-Jul-15 15:58:42

How about Josie? Similar so Joanna? I think it's prettier and she'll still be nicknamed JoJo or Jo.

MummyPiggy87 Fri 17-Jul-15 16:00:36

Also, Amelia is nice but popular there's also a similar name which isn't as popular.. Emilia? Bit different but not too different.

ExcitedlyExpecting Fri 17-Jul-15 16:05:50

Oh I like Josie

Sophronia Fri 17-Jul-15 16:06:02

Joanna is great, I'd go with that!

Other suggestions:

Jennifer
Lydia
Mirabelle
Georgia
Nina
Eloise
Tabitha
Genevieve
Annabel/Annabelle
Emilia
Millicent
Abigail
Tamsin
Rebecca
Susannah
Juliet
Clara
Alice
Martha
Sadie
Claudia
Naomi
Christina
Jasmine
Molly
Alexa
Sabrina

ExcitedlyExpecting Fri 17-Jul-15 16:08:16

I like Josie, that's a contender from my part.
Samantha was the name my dad wanted to give me so he loves it. Think we'd prefer Sammi as a shortened version though, but DD can at least then decide herself when she gets older.

sweetpeame Fri 17-Jul-15 16:26:58

I like Isabelle but it is popular in its various forms but it depends on whether that bothers you or not. Not crazy about Amelia which I believe is about as popular as Isabelle. How about Amelie? Not a fan of Samantha, it sounds very dated IMO although I'm sure there are mumsnetters who would describe it as "fresh". Imogen is by far my favourite from your list, I'd go with that.

SaulGood Fri 17-Jul-15 16:33:10

DS would have been Josephine. It abbreviates well (Josie, Joey, Jo, Sephie, Phin etc).

MummyPiggy87 Fri 17-Jul-15 18:16:58

Glad you like Josie, I wish I could use it for my daughter I'm expecting soon, but my best friend has it. It's gorgeous! I wonder if you like these also just as suggestions I also liked: Amber, Ruby, Chloe, Keira, Rosie, Sinead and Poppy.smile

SpamAnderson Fri 17-Jul-15 18:22:24

If we had a girl this time, her name was going to be Eden Alice Margaret smile But we're having a boy smile I love all those names smile

ExcitedlyExpecting Fri 17-Jul-15 20:08:20

I like Eden but DH isn't keen.
Amber is very pretty, I like that. smile
Couldn't use a few of the other ones you've suggested MummyPiggy as we have close friends or family with children with those names.
I knew MN would help with lengthening the "shortlist" haha ��

Rox19 Fri 17-Jul-15 20:15:10

Love samantha, really nice spunky name

HeyMicky Fri 17-Jul-15 20:19:44

I have a Josephine. Nothing but compliments for it so far. She goes by Posey, if you're after a different nickname

shitebag Fri 17-Jul-15 20:21:11

We had Samantha, Amber, Cara, Francesca, Louisa, Alyssa and Erin on our girls list.

None of them are too popular around here and I like that they aren't too girly either.

summerlovingliz Fri 17-Jul-15 20:28:19

Heidi is my favourite girls name, I had two boys and a surname beginning Hy

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now