Talk

Advanced search

I know this is ridiculous to worry about but...

(21 Posts)
Lady84 Wed 15-Jul-15 20:55:17

Another girl has just joined DDs class with the same name. It's not a particularly common name, doesnt really have a shortening, and I'm gutted and so disappointed she's going to now be known by her name and the initial sad

I worry how she feels having had this happen - there aren't two of anyone else in the class sad

Has these caused difficulties for anyone else?

MeganChips Wed 15-Jul-15 20:59:30

I have a DD who shares a name with a classmate. It's a reasonably popular name so it was always likely to happen.

She'll be fine. If she's anything like mine, they'll end up best friends.

Dinosaursdontgrowontrees Wed 15-Jul-15 22:51:33

My dd is only 2 so haven't come across this yet (although she has a popular name so I'm sure we will) but I just wanted to say I was one of 3 with the same name in my class at primary school and we loved it.. It was like a special little gang! I never remember it being a problem.
Don't worry I'm sure you dd will be fine!

fleamadonna Wed 15-Jul-15 22:55:22

I have a very unusual name. it's a character is Silas Marner (cheeky clue).

I have never met another before or since, but shared a class in yr 3 with one. same initials too.

I never thought of it at the time, and haven't since until you reminded me.

5madthings Wed 15-Jul-15 22:55:55

It's not a problem, my Ds4 is rudi, so not a common name, there is another in his year, yes they are known as name and surname initial, well Ds4 has a double barrel surname so it's name then a-b (not those letters). Anyway both boys love knowing someone else with their name and bizarrely they both have a brothers with the same name!

5madthings Wed 15-Jul-15 22:56:36

My Ds4 is 7 Btw and it's really not a problem.

SkodaLabia Thu 16-Jul-15 10:24:47

You're not silly to be disappointed OP. I would feel the same and feel an irrational hatred for the child and her entire family.

ConfusedInBath Thu 16-Jul-15 11:44:37

Goodness me you're overthinking this one.

UrethraFranklin1 Thu 16-Jul-15 11:54:01

Thats a strange reaction. There are eight billion people in the world, and they share names.

The only reason your kid will feel anything about this is if you let her know about your ott feelings on the matter. If you tell her its a problem, it will become one. Its not actually a problem though.

capercaillie Thu 16-Jul-15 11:54:19

It will be fine. I have a very popular name and it's not been a problem. My DD has a popular name - it does annoy me that she tends to sign all birthday cards with first name and initial (i.e. to grandparents too...). My DS has a less popular name but there is another child with same name and first initial (luckily not the same school year although they do some extra curricular activities together). It's not the end of the world.

sebsmummy1 Thu 16-Jul-15 11:57:50

Honestly please don't worry about it. You could have ensured your daughter had an original name by calling her something daft, but thankfully it sounds like you instead chose something that was so cool someone else called their daughter the same. A sign of good taste surely!!

My son shares a name with the brother of one of his classmates and it's become a conversation topic between the Mother and I. We are both quite pleased with ourselves that we chose the name we did grin

IsadoraQuagmire Thu 16-Jul-15 14:57:56

Last year, I had a BOY in one of my classes with the same name as me (the shortened version I go by) The teacher called us Girl A** and Boy A**
We spent most of the time glaring at each other! grin

Lady84 Thu 16-Jul-15 15:04:14

Thanks all. Especially skodalabia you made me laugh. grin I know I don't own her name but Having deliberately avoided the top names I was irrationally sad another one has ended up in her class when the stats say 5 Olivias is more likely!

CruCru Thu 16-Jul-15 15:55:31

You can't do much about it but it would irritate me.

After I had DS, I had a letter from an ex boyfriends mum to say that it was such a coincidence, we'd used exactly the same name that my ex had used for his son, born six months earlier.

Clearly, we hadn't copied each other (I exchange Christmas cards with his mum and that's the extent of our contact) but it really irritated me.

One thing to consider is it's amazing how homogeneous an area can be. Even names that aren't popular may come up again and again in the same area.

00100001 Thu 16-Jul-15 16:11:25

She'll be known as "Olivia S" or what ever her intial is.

Trills Thu 16-Jul-15 16:18:30

Think of all the Andrews and Sarahs you know who are not at al psychologically scarred by sharing a name with other people.

The reason that a collection of sounds is rcognised as A NAME and not "some gobbledegook" is because other people use it as their name.

OttiliaVonBCup Thu 16-Jul-15 16:21:32

That's a bit precious.

Millions of people manage to survive sharing a name with someone else.

sweetpeame Thu 16-Jul-15 17:32:52

I doubt it will bother her at all. I have a name which was popular in the 80's and there were 3 of us in my year at secondary school (one of whom became and still is my best friend). It never bothered me in the slightest that 2 other girls had the same name. My DD has a fairly common name and it wouldn't bother me in the least if there was another girl in her class at school (when she goes) with the same name. I really don't see the problem. It certainly hasn't had an impact of me having the same name as other people and I doubt it will on her. You can pick as common or unusual a name as you like and there will always be the chance that someone else will have that name.

Generalconstant Thu 16-Jul-15 17:38:41

I hope the other isnt the teachers child?

Ds's teacher asked me if my DS could use another name, as her child in the same class had the same (very ordinary) name and wanted to be the only one.
So you're not alone anyway OP.

tumbletumble Thu 16-Jul-15 17:39:16

There is another girl in DD's class with the same name as her - and they happen to both have the same surname initial too! Rather than call her "firstname surname", we asked the teacher to call DD "firstname middlename" (eg Lucy Grace rather than Lucy Smith - not those names).

If your DD has a short middle name this could be an option for you?

VashtaNerada Thu 16-Jul-15 17:51:28

YAB utterly U - but I completely sympathise and would feel exactly the same grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now