Talk

Advanced search

Give me your opinion on these boys names

(19 Posts)
Dildals Wed 15-Jul-15 10:25:25

DH and I have been struggling (as so many on this forum!) on boys names.

All the names I love he has vetoed and vice versa ...

So.

This is where we got to.

My DH's mother (who is now passed away) used to call DH 'Bobs' as a nickname. And we were toying with the idea of naming the baby Bob. Just because it's nice for a name to have a bit of family meaning IYKWIM. I think Bobbie would be really cute for a baby. My DD1 is called Bella and I think Bobbie and Bella sounds really cute, like a children's adventure book! I understand though that a lot of British people think Bobbie is more of a girls name. I am also not entirely sure about Bob for a grown up ... And I am not convinced on Robert either. I am just not loving it.

The other option is James. Which I think is a solid name for a grown up man/boy. Am just not feeling it for a baby. Baby James ... hmmm ...

Combining Bob and James is not a great idea either because of the initials that gives you, and also I don't want him to become a character out of the Waltons!

The third option is not really an option but I'll throw it in there anyway. We've been referring to the bump as 'Tyrone'. It goes well with our last name. Let's just say that if he fancies a boxing career he'll be set up with a good stage name. And although I think Tyrone is a ridiculous name (sorry for everyone called Tyrone!) it's sort of growing on me!!! He'll definitely be the only Tyrone around, hehe, but not sure we have to guts to actually call him this.

What's your thoughts?!

sweetpeame Wed 15-Jul-15 10:31:42

Bob is ok as a nn but I probably wouldn't register him as that. I know you said you don't love Robert but it allows for a lot of nn's. When I think of Bob for an adult I imagine a straw chewing farmer in the American Midwest. I think it's better for a small boy. Incidentally I know a 4 year old James whose nn is Bob! Tyrone is absolutely awful, I really would not burden my child with it if I were you.

seaoflove Wed 15-Jul-15 10:40:54

Don't use Bobbie, it's too feminine and cutesy. Bobby would be preferable, or better still, Robert on the birth certificate.

I actually knew an adult Bobbie. He went by Bob, and believe me, Bobbie didn't look right on a big, burly bloke!

ThroughThickAndThin01 Wed 15-Jul-15 10:42:53

Whilst I love Robert, Robbie and Rob, I think Bob is absolutely awful.

I love James and particularly Jamie or Jimmy.

Tyrone is terrible, sorry.

Maybe you haven't found the right name yet and need to keep looking?

Bella is a lovely name, and I think you need to find another as good for a boy.

swimmerforlife Wed 15-Jul-15 11:05:05

Tyrone is bloody awful, I hate to say it but it's a bit 90s chav. Also reminds of that awful character on Coronation Street.

James is fine. Goes really well with Bella.

I'm generally not one to spout the twee crap on nick names as full names on the birth certificate but for Bob I would make an exception, it looks really incomplete on it's own as it has become a joke name if you see what I mean.

Dildals Wed 15-Jul-15 11:28:10

I know, I know, it won't be Tyrone. I'd have to rename Bella Trixie, so they have matching stage names ;-).

We do need to keep looking but we're just absolutely lacking inspiration or simply do not agree. Leo and Max are my favs for example, but DH is not up for it.

I think we're both hoping this baby will come out with its own name tag.

AlisonBlunderland Wed 15-Jul-15 11:31:41

Robert is a great name. Can be Bob, Rob, Bobby, Bert. Or Robert.
Very adaptable

princessvikki Wed 15-Jul-15 11:40:49

I'm British and I've never heard of a girl Bobbie except on American tv shows. I love Bobby , personally i would never go with a "proper" full name just for the sake of the birth certificate, I don't see the point if it's not what you will use as a name. I like Bobby james and it give him the option of using James if he wants to.

Sansfards Wed 15-Jul-15 11:43:31

I quite like Bob as it is. Never understand having a different name on your birth certificate

Fugghetaboutit Wed 15-Jul-15 11:57:40

Robert with nn Bobby is lovely. Goes well with Bella too smile

Sophronia Wed 15-Jul-15 12:03:31

Could you spell Bobby this way? That's the more common spelling for boys.

I'd go with Robert nn Bob/Bobby. James is great too, you could use a nn for it like Jamey, Jim/Jimmy, Jem, Jay etc.

MarinaCoyle Wed 15-Jul-15 12:07:10

James. Definitely James. Jim is such a dotey nn. And I once met the CUTEST Baby Jim. He had a mohawk.

villainousbroodmare Wed 15-Jul-15 12:40:18

Robert or James, both lovely. Bob is cute for a child (you say it yourself, children's adventure story) but not for a man.

IsadoraQuagmire Wed 15-Jul-15 13:24:52

I've got two friends named Bobbie (both female, both American, both are really named Barbara)
I'd go for James. (The only Tyrone I've ever heard of is Tyrone Power!)

MonstrousRatbag Wed 15-Jul-15 13:30:09

Well, I like Tyrone, nn Ty or Ronnie.

I like Robert, but not Bob or Bobby. Makes me think of Bobby Charlton's combover (eeeurrrghh!).

James is great.

BadHenry Wed 15-Jul-15 14:45:38

Robert is a lovely name I think.

Cheburashka Wed 15-Jul-15 18:48:52

We had a similar dilemma and have pretty much decided on Robin for our little boy. It's fresh and slightly unusual and you can also use Robbie or Bob as nicknames. I also think Bella and Robin sounds great!

MamaLazarou Wed 15-Jul-15 18:51:32

I was just going to suggest Robin.

ch1134 Wed 15-Jul-15 22:50:51

Robert James, known as Bob. Bella and Bob. Fab.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now