Talk

Advanced search

What person do you imagine when you hear Freddie or Sonny?

(32 Posts)
Cherryblossomsinspring Mon 13-Jul-15 22:07:20

Just that really. Would they be chancers? Or could they be academic? Dunno what impression these names give.

HeiressesGiltnor Mon 13-Jul-15 22:10:55

Cheeky, but sweet little boys. I don't picture an academic boy but nor do I picture a dimwitted one. Just a fairly average little lad.

Rewy Mon 13-Jul-15 22:12:42

I think Freddie would be a cool , academic rich kid and sonny musical, free spirited , and adventurous.

Hassled Mon 13-Jul-15 22:13:23

I like all the Freddies I know. Nice, cheerful, straightforward boys.

Sonny - less keen. It just sounds a bit too diminutive - like calling someone Junior. I'd struggle to respect an adult Sonny.

Greydog Mon 13-Jul-15 22:13:52

oh dear - I thought of gangsters - as in the Corleones. Sorry.

plummyjam Mon 13-Jul-15 22:14:31

Those names make me think of the Godfather - weren't Fredo and Sonny two of the Don Corleone's sons?

plummyjam Mon 13-Jul-15 22:14:49

Ha ha snap!

Alwayswiththechords Mon 13-Jul-15 22:15:52

Nothing immediately comes to mind from either name. Just regular sweet but cheeky boys I guess.

To me children's names always say more about the parents, in this case I would say Freddie - parents with close family and traditional values. Sonny- parents who really like music from certain eras.

SweetCharityBeginsAtHome Mon 13-Jul-15 22:17:36

Corleones for me too I'm afraid.

BeaufortBelle Mon 13-Jul-15 22:19:28

Freddie: Blonde, freckled, public school boy. Sonny - dark, skinny, quite precocious, few boundaries, doesn't achieve full potential sorry.

KatieScarlettreregged Mon 13-Jul-15 22:20:32

The brothers of Michael Corleone

VulcanWoman Mon 13-Jul-15 22:21:42

Freddie Star and Sonny Bono.

IHaveBrilloHair Mon 13-Jul-15 22:23:03

Normal little boys, unimaginative parents who named their child blah, or blah.

lilyb84 Mon 13-Jul-15 22:26:43

Weirdly, we called one of our cats Freddie... after initially calling him Sonny and deciding we hated it after 24 hours!

We'd love to use Freddie for a DS but now can't smile

Freddie to me is a cute, probably little bit mischievous boy, white middle class (or of course Freddie Mercury).

Sonny feels quite American and I can't take it seriously for some reason...

Muddlewitch Mon 13-Jul-15 22:26:44

Freddie Mercury and Sonny that was married to Cher.

I like Freddie though for boys, I imagine a bit cheeky but very lovable. Not sure about Sonny.

TJTR1 Mon 13-Jul-15 22:29:20

I know a Freddie and a sonny.

Freddie is educated, musical and a bit shy.
Sonny is 'one of the boys', loves travelling, big on his family and hard working.

WhyCantIuseTheNameIWant Tue 14-Jul-15 00:39:47

This Freddie.
Definitely smart and educated.

We know another Freddie. Cute little 7 year old.

Know2 sonnys too.

Both 11. One looks like a surfer.
Poth polite and friendly.
Both hate spellings!

EmmaWoodlouse Wed 15-Jul-15 16:00:03

Freddie is so popular now that I don't picture one type in particular, but probably middle class (but not excruciatingly posh) and quite friendly.

I can't really imagine someone whose real name is Sonny. To me it's a word that some adults use when they're telling boys off. I know someone who considered calling her baby Buddy and it has the same "can't quite take that name seriously" vibe to me.

DixieNormas Wed 15-Jul-15 16:03:21

Im not sure but the mothers of the only Freddy and Sonny I know are very high up in their careers. Both little boys are 2.6

DixieNormas Wed 15-Jul-15 16:05:06

Ds4 would have been called sonny if dps cousin hadnt given birth a few weeks before me

MythicalKings Wed 15-Jul-15 16:06:58

Sonny is no name for a grown up, imo. Unless you're American.

tumbletumble Wed 15-Jul-15 16:08:48

I know one Sonny and two Freddies. They're quite naughty!

MyGastIsFlabbered Wed 15-Jul-15 16:09:35

I've got a Freddie so I picture my 5 year old (no help I'm afraid). Sonny makes me think of Sonny Bono.

Carrie5608 Wed 15-Jul-15 16:11:31

Freddie makes me think of Frddie Boswell Lol! but then I am old so you can probably ignore me. grin

goldenhen Thu 16-Jul-15 17:20:13

Freddie - cheeky Essex boy like Danny Dyer. Sonny - long haired middle class child with indie parents who take him to festivals. Can't imagine a grown up Sonny at all.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now