Talk

Advanced search

If I said my children were called...

(40 Posts)
Wishful80sMontage Sun 12-Jul-15 08:23:26

Georgia and Harriet- you would think...?
(My dd is Georgia and Harriet is front runner for girl name choice for dc2)

bittapitta Sun 12-Jul-15 08:25:12

I would think you were friendly, middle class, not snobby or pretentious, easy going. Both lovely names.

totallybewildered Sun 12-Jul-15 08:27:16

That you are white, live in a big house in a rural location, that you are most likely a SAHM, or have been, or are working part time, or running your own business, and that your children are likely to be privately educated.......

There you are, complete prejudice! Of course, many Georgia/Harriet combinations are nothing like this at all, but if you are asking what image first springs to mind!

DixieNormas Sun 12-Jul-15 08:28:10

My friend has Georgia and Harriet. Im not keen on Harriet but id just think perfectly fine normal names.

RitaCrudgington Sun 12-Jul-15 08:28:23

I'd peg you as white British middle class with conservative (small c) tendencies. Especially Harriet.

Nice names.

DixieNormas Sun 12-Jul-15 08:29:49

And none of these discriptions match my friend grin

sebsmummy1 Sun 12-Jul-15 08:29:56

They are names on my list and we are a very boring MC household and I am a SAHM. So seems like I am adhering to the stereotype and I guess that's what those two names say.

SwissArmy Sun 12-Jul-15 08:30:49

What Rita said.

Glitoris Sun 12-Jul-15 08:30:58

Honestly?I'd think you had really wanted a boy,and feminised the names you had chosen for the boys.Sorry,but that honestly would be my first thought.

Bin85 Sun 12-Jul-15 08:32:34

That if you had a 3rd it would be Rebecca!
Just a family I know

Wishful80sMontage Sun 12-Jul-15 08:56:01

Interesting responses thank you- you're thoughts are pretty much spot on weirdly! You are very intuitive bunch smile
My main reason for posting was to see how many people thought the same as Giltoris as this is my only reservation using Harriet. I wouldn't want people thinking that I'd been wanted 2 boys- I just tend to gravitate towards this type of name. I wouldn't have considered George or Harry as boy names although Henry I love.

Glitoris Sun 12-Jul-15 08:59:59

In fairness,*Wishful*,my thinking might be coloured by coming from an all female family,whose names were all changed to the male 'nickname' equivalent by our father.Don't let me put you off!

DixieNormas Sun 12-Jul-15 09:02:54

Ive never thought of it like that, I doubt my friend did either. She also has a katelyn

Wishful80sMontage Sun 12-Jul-15 09:04:11

Honestly don't worry giltoris I'd rather gauge genuine opinions now then someone say it after we've finally decided thank you for being honest.
Our dd's nickname is Georgie. (But this could turn into George at school) and would lean towards Hattie as nn (and hopefully avoid Harry altogether not a fan)

anotherdayanothersquabble Sun 12-Jul-15 09:04:41

Yup, George and Harry. I am not English and don't understand the attraction of feminine versions of male names though there are a lot in many languages.

Wishful80sMontage Sun 12-Jul-15 09:19:21

Harriet is the name we both agree on.
Edith is a possibility but we don't love it as much.
My choices of Camilla, Philippa and Catherine nn Kitty have been vetoed

SylvanianCaracal Sun 12-Jul-15 09:27:39

I'd think you were posh, had a range rover and used private school. It's not the Georgia that does it though, it's the Harriet! Georgia and Alex, Lily or Isobel, for example, would take you more into guardian reader territory grin

SylvanianCaracal Sun 12-Jul-15 09:28:12

I offer you Beatrix / Bea.

BriocheBriocheBrioche Sun 12-Jul-15 09:31:29

I know of two grown up sisters that are Harriet and Georgia, I have never thought of the names of being feminised names of male names - just classic, strong and elegant!

Reiltin Sun 12-Jul-15 09:33:20

We have a Harriet and if the next one were gone a girl, she'd be Georgina smile

SanityClause Sun 12-Jul-15 09:38:45

If you don't like Harry, don't go for Harriet. You may call her Hattie, all you like, but you can't stop her friends shortening her name in whatever way they choose.

(Having said that, I do know a Charlotte, who is always Lottie, but that is because Lottie was given as her preferred name at the school. She has never been known as anything else.)

Oh, but I do like those names. And, yes, they do "place" you, a bit. But, so what? You are who you are.

mrstweefromtweesville Sun 12-Jul-15 09:43:17

Both names are very sensible. Well done.

TRexingInAsda Sun 12-Jul-15 09:54:34

Both lovely names, the boy thing didn't even occur to me until you mentioned it, I wouldn't give it a second thought.

brusselsproutwarning Sun 12-Jul-15 10:04:37

Didn't think of the boy version at all . I think they sound quite posh names.

youarekiddingme Sun 12-Jul-15 10:07:12

Boy thing never occurred to me either. Or the MC with private school bit.

But then I know a Harriett who is a Harry and a very lovable down to earth woman.

And I know a Georgia (not related) who is not MC in the slightest, and is equally delightful.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now