Talk

Advanced search

Can we use Stella after late cat....

(31 Posts)
Rose58 Fri 10-Jul-15 17:25:22

We calked our cat Stella who sadly died 3 years ago. Problem being we adore the name and are now expecting!! Can we use it for a girl? blush

BothEndsBurning Fri 10-Jul-15 17:29:37

Yes.

It's a lovely tribute smile If you feel OK about it, there's no reason why you can't.

MovingOnUpMovingOnOut Fri 10-Jul-15 17:31:39

You want to name your baby after your dead cat?

I probably wouldn't no.

<Remember Fraiser??!>

HerculaPoirot Fri 10-Jul-15 17:34:52

I did (not Stella). I used up all my favourite Victorian names on cats, then I had a child!! I used one of the names, cat was dead, it didn't need it anymore. A few people made comments, but most just liked it. The name suits dc and sounds well with the surname given too.

HerculaPoirot Fri 10-Jul-15 17:35:22

So in my view, go for it!

Rose58 Fri 10-Jul-15 17:36:18

DH days says - he loved the cat and loves the name. I'm just worried what others will think!

patchesofhappiness Fri 10-Jul-15 17:38:09

I really don't see why not.

In years to come, you can show your daughters pictures of your much-loved cat and say, "she was called Stella, just like you". If you can imagine yourself having that conversation, then go for it.

broodylicious Fri 10-Jul-15 17:51:19

Why not? I think it's a lovely tribute. Dc2 is due on July 20, which is the date my horse died a few years back and I was thinking of giving Victor/Victoria as a middle name if they come on that date to honour him. Don't worry about what other people think, they don't need to know why you've chosen that name (which is lovely btw) and so you shouldn't get judgey comments or nasty opinions xx

hanette Fri 10-Jul-15 17:54:27

I did (twice!) but as middle names

DS not terribly keen on his middle name being Basil but he's used to it after 15 years....

NothingUpMySleeve Fri 10-Jul-15 17:56:41

We nearly named ds2 after my late cat. The cat came from the cpl already named & it was a family name, so although we found a name we liked better, I wouldn't have avoided the name because of the cat!

Rose58 Fri 10-Jul-15 17:57:43

Thank you so much for your lovely comments. All lovely tributes. Basil heehee love it! My problem is we live in a small town and everyone knows our love for our late cat! I think I need to get over what others think - they'll forget shortly after!!

Smartiepants79 Fri 10-Jul-15 17:59:54

Choose it becuase you love it and not because of the cat and you're fine!
Just use it.

Rose58 Fri 10-Jul-15 18:11:00

Exactly - we love it it's not because of the cat!!

BestIsWest Fri 10-Jul-15 21:00:32

Yes, DS has the same name as the dog I had as a child.

Icelandicsuperyoghurt Sat 11-Jul-15 00:03:36

of course you can. You loved your cat, you love the name Stella. Perfect. One of dd's school friends was named after the pet pig her Mum had as a child. I think it's sweet and sort of funny (in a nice way),

SquirrelledAway Sat 11-Jul-15 10:06:32

DS2 was named after our late cat, who had come from the Cats Home already named. We always liked the name and had it mind in case we had a second DS, so it's just as well the cat met his maker before DS was born, otherwise it would have been awkward.

Love Stella as a name too wink

reuset Sat 11-Jul-15 10:14:25

Maybe as it was three years ago. Not as a tribute to the dear departed cat, though grin Look around first see what's out there, if you still can't find anything you love quite as much then use it.

reuset Sat 11-Jul-15 10:16:50

Basil was a mouse? Sorry, Basil sounds like a mouse name for some reason grin

Gileswithachainsaw Sat 11-Jul-15 10:19:59

I wouldn't worry about it being the name of your cat.

I wanted to name dd2 the same name as a previous pet in the family. animal connections never bother me.

mrscatmad31 Sat 11-Jul-15 17:11:09

My sis in law named both her kids after the two family dogs that died, I'm expecting and the family have suggested I name the baby after the current family dog.. I declined but only because I don't like the name! its a lovely name go for it

hanette Sun 12-Jul-15 08:49:21

Nah Basil was a cat - we also had a Sybil! grin

MrsPeeee Sun 12-Jul-15 08:52:53

It's a lovely name - if you love it then use it.

But - will you be honest if a future grown up Stella asks where the inspiration for her name came from? "A dead cat mum, seriously? "

WhyCantIuseTheNameIWant Sun 12-Jul-15 09:34:25

One of my mums cousins named her ds after a childhood hamster.
Great aunt thought this was the case, but wasn't sure about hammeys name.
When they came and told us all about the baby, me and my sister looked at each other and both said "like the hamster?"
Everybody smiled and it has never been a problem.
Guess it showed that she has always loved that name.
Perfectly normal name for a boy!
Go for it, as has been said, the cat has finished with it.

Hassled Sun 12-Jul-15 09:36:50

No, I don't think you should. I can't rationalise it, but no. I have a friend who was named after a dead dog and she had a real problem with it for years - that she was a substitute for the dog/that her parents lacked the ability to come up with a new name/that the dog meant more? All a bit mad, but she did struggle.

BadHenry Sun 12-Jul-15 09:47:39

My dp is named after a (dead) dog. He's never had any problem with it and thinks its quite funny.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now