Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Nathaniel or Nathanael

(33 Posts)
christianmama Sun 05-Jul-15 22:29:35

Love this name for a boy but can't decide on spelling- which do you prefer? I don't want him to constantly have his name misspelt but prefer the latter spelling. any suggestions?!

Wishful80sMontage Sun 05-Jul-15 22:31:01

First spelling

Enchufla Sun 05-Jul-15 22:31:04

The second one changes the way the name is pronounced imo...and not in a good way. I'd stick with Nathaniel

Creatureofthenight Sun 05-Jul-15 22:32:18

First spelling, never seen the second spelling before.

christianmama Sun 05-Jul-15 22:33:16

Oh really? I thought they were pronounced the same, I'm glad I've checked! Thanks! Will look into how they are said to choose...

SirChenjin Sun 05-Jul-15 22:34:26

I've never seen the second spelling, so on that basis it should be the first!

MyNameIsSuz Sun 05-Jul-15 22:37:06

The only one I know is Nathanael and yes, they're pronounced the same! I think it's the less well known spelling though.

PurpleDaisies Sun 05-Jul-15 22:41:09

If you spell it Nathaneal people may well think you don't know how to spell Nathaniel properly because the alternative spelling isn't widely used (I've never seen it). Nathaniel is a lovely name though.

TheRachel Sun 05-Jul-15 22:41:42

First spelling

CardinalRed Sun 05-Jul-15 22:41:50

Definitely the first.
The second looks as if its be "respelt" as a poster on another baby name thread once expressed it.

DramaAlpaca Sun 05-Jul-15 22:42:24

Nathaniel

Indomitable Sun 05-Jul-15 22:42:35

I like the latter. Pronounced the same. Most people will spell it the former, which isn't a terrible problem.

redautumnleaves Sun 05-Jul-15 22:43:00

Yep, first.
Second version looks like you made a mistake when registering his name.

TheHumanSatsuma Sun 05-Jul-15 22:44:20

definitely the first, if they aare pronounced the same, why not go for the conventional one, your son will thank you later on!

KatherinaMinova Sun 05-Jul-15 22:45:04

The second version makes me think of Nathaneal West (the only person I've heard of with that spelling), and that seems an unlucky namesake. But probably most people in the UK won't have heard of him!

christianmama Sun 05-Jul-15 22:46:07

Fab, thanks very much everyone, there seems a definite consensus for the first spelling which is helpful, will prob go with the first spelling as my name is a nightmare to spell which I find annoying and don't want that for him!! grin

reuset Sun 05-Jul-15 22:48:26

Never seen the second spelling, but glad you're going with the first.

CakeRattleandRoll Mon 06-Jul-15 01:26:00

Agree - first spelling is best. Love the name btw!

Indomitable Mon 06-Jul-15 06:36:40

It would help if the people objecting to the second spelling actually spelled it right!

I understand that posters wouldn't like Nathaneal, because it's wrong. But Nathanael is an accepted, and actually fairly common spelling.

CardinalRed Mon 06-Jul-15 09:09:18

If it was fairly common, then how come so many of us have never seen it?
It's not like Ann/Anne, Alastair/Alasdair/Alistair or Clare/Clair/Claire.
It might be a perfectly legitimate variant, but to many people who have never encountered that spelling it looks as if it's been misspelt.

CordeliaFrost Mon 06-Jul-15 09:49:34

People are mistaken if they think Nathanael is an alternative spelling, when it is in fact Nathaniel that is the variant.

Nathanael is and always be the original spelling, and indeed the authorised Biblical spelling.

I like both, but I prefer Nathanael, as I always prefer the original.

Sophronia Mon 06-Jul-15 11:11:50

Yes, Nathanael is actually the original spelling.

Elllimam Mon 06-Jul-15 11:19:00

I've also never seen the second spelling used and would also assume made up spelling (realise I am wrong though smile)

TheDisillusionedAnarchist Mon 06-Jul-15 11:23:46

Nathanael is the Biblical spelling and could be seen as the original and is nicer but I think Nathaniel is so much more common these days that if you use Nathanael nobody will ever spell it correctly so I'd go with Nathaniel.

Zakken Mon 06-Jul-15 13:18:47

Nathanael is perfectly consistent with Michael, Raphael, Rachael etc and nobody seems to have a problem with those.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now