What springs to mind when you hear the name James?

(58 Posts)
sophiedeana990 Sat 04-Jul-15 20:38:10

My inner milk curdles when I have the name James, it reminds me of a self-conscious skater boy with a Bieber/surfing hair cut that annoyingly covers his eyes, or a selfish pig of a 'bachelor' who spends his nicer than comfy salary on his drink issues to compensate the pain for his pathetic inner weakness.

No offence to anyone of course, it's just what springs to mind when I hear the name James. Problem because I read too many books, come to think of it lol

ephemeralfairy Sat 04-Jul-15 21:59:12

I am sniggering at your associations grin

For me James will always be the green engine from Thomas the Tank Engine...

PotteringAlong Sat 04-Jul-15 22:00:42

Red engine! I reckon your children are past the Thomas phase. I know more than I ever needed to about the island of sodding Sodor grin

drinkscabinet Sat 04-Jul-15 22:01:09

My lovely nephew smile

MaryFlynn Sat 04-Jul-15 22:02:20

My wonderful son - and yes your post is offensive.

MamaLazarou Sat 04-Jul-15 22:02:48

I have known far too many Jameses to have a singular impression of the name. However, the name Courtney always makes me think of a cartoon vampire. No idea why.

PotteringAlong Sat 04-Jul-15 22:03:53

I love the name James - it's on the list for dc3.

Toughasoldboots Sat 04-Jul-15 22:04:46

Why have you posted this? What's your name op? Lets critique that.

HaleMary Sat 04-Jul-15 22:08:01

Nothing whatsoever. It's a plain, classic, dateless, very commonly-used name, so hard to have any very specific associations with it, the way you might with Hippolytus or Moon Unit...?

meglet Sat 04-Jul-15 22:08:06

"oh sit down, sit down, sit down, sit down next to me .........."

ScrambledEggAndToast Sat 04-Jul-15 22:08:51

My lovely son's middle name.

PeskyRat Sat 04-Jul-15 22:11:16

The names Bond...........James Bond grin

Guitargirl Sat 04-Jul-15 22:12:40

The same as HaleMary. It's a classic name and I have known so many boys and men called James - all very different individuals - that I have no real associations. It's quite an English name I suppose so if anything I just associate it with Englishmen.

ChocolateWombat Sat 04-Jul-15 22:13:07

It's a sensible, classic name.
Do you not like it, because you associate it with middle class boys and do t like the middle classes? That's what it sounds like.

Would you prefer Jayden instead of James?

ShatnersBassoon Sat 04-Jul-15 22:15:47

Nothing. It's never been in or out of fashion, so I've known far too many to have an image in my head of what a James is like.

shitebag Sat 04-Jul-15 22:21:00

My best friends gorgeous little boy.
My cool DS' middle name.
My slightly mad DH.
My idiot FIL.
DH's abusive Grandfather.
Some lovely, chatty, funny boys I've worked with over the years.

I know lots and they all have their own personalities.

PipAndPosey Sat 04-Jul-15 22:23:16

My amazing son!

We love the name and rather than being commonplace it's actually pretty rare where we live (London). He's the only james at any of his playgroups or at nursery - I guess it's slightly old fashioned?

sophiedeana Sat 04-Jul-15 22:25:47

I realize it was a bit offensive as a post, but I didn't mean every James is like what I imagined, and I haven't met all that many James' to add a personal touch of comment.

I do not have any dislike for the middle classes? How could I, my parents are most probably classed as middle/middle upper class.

LibrariesGaveUsPower Sat 04-Jul-15 22:27:23

Absolutely nothing.

In the nicest possible way. grin

ChocolateWombat Sat 04-Jul-15 22:33:31

I've known so many different James' that I don't have any associations with the name that stand out.

Perhaps when you meet someone with an unusual name, you associate their personality/behaviour with it, but when there are loads and loads (and I really do know absolutely loads,of all ages) then it doesn't have connotations.

VikingLady Sat 04-Jul-15 22:38:40

I love it, but my initial reaction is the same as Meglet's!

VerityWaves Sat 04-Jul-15 22:45:00

First thing that springs to mind is My gorgeous nephew.
Its funny, it does have connotations of a handsome army officer in colonial India for me. Sort of upper class, stiff upper lip era..

DrElizabethPlimpton Sat 04-Jul-15 22:46:10

My wonderful son. Hth.

JakeyBurd Sat 04-Jul-15 22:48:45

How common it is. And my lovely son who was named James against my wishes. I hate it.

MrsTrelis Sat 04-Jul-15 22:49:30

My lovely wonderful DP. He is very much a James. I have an uncle Jimmy though, and Jimmy is very different from DP who is most emphatically a James. Jim is captain James Tiberius Kirk. <gavel>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now