Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Freya, Erin or Esme?

(62 Posts)
Treesandbees Sat 04-Jul-15 08:25:34

Baby girl due in 4 weeks so working on a shortlist! Middle name will probably be Rose or Grace. What's people's opinions?

Christelle2207 Sat 04-Jul-15 08:32:02

All nice. Esme can cause problems though- can be esmee or esmay.
Whilst rose or grace are pretty names in their own right they do sound like "filler" names when used as a middle name, IMO, sorry.

OneFlewOverTheDodosNest Sat 04-Jul-15 08:32:13

They're all lovely but Erin is my favourite

batfish Sat 04-Jul-15 08:44:28

I'm not a big fan of Freya but that's just because I was given it as my 'viking name' on a school trip once so I have always thought of it as a bit weird. But that's just me! I love Erin and Esme. We are having Rose as a middle name too, it was my husband's grandma's name.

UnspecialSnowflake Sat 04-Jul-15 08:48:22

I like them all, Erin is my favourite though. Not that it really matters but Rose is used a lot as a middle name at the mo, I know a little Freya Rose.

sleepyMe12 Sat 04-Jul-15 08:50:28

Erin definitely.

afreshstartplease Sat 04-Jul-15 08:51:03

Erin or Freya

Erin Freya ?

ashesandfire Sat 04-Jul-15 09:14:30

Love all 3, Freya is probably my favourite.

WhyCantIuseTheNameIWant Sat 04-Jul-15 09:24:23

Erin is sweet, but not with rose. Too many r sounds.
It is also quite popular around here. I know 4 erins in ds school, and a baby Erin.
Grace was on my short list, but my great big nearly 9lb baby didn't look like a grace! She is a gangly, wobbly 2yo now, not at all graceful!
All nice names,
Freya grace would be my choice.

Kim82 Sat 04-Jul-15 09:25:00

Erin Grace is lovely.

MamaLazarou Sat 04-Jul-15 09:27:41

Erin. The othet two are a bit wishy-washy.

Treesandbees Sat 04-Jul-15 10:37:13

Thank you for the replies. It's interesting as when I've floated Erin with a few close friends I've had the screwed up nose back but it's favourite so far here! Grace is my middle name and a family name so will probably continue the tradition. Rose we just liked but I know it's a common middle name!

Christelle2207 Sat 04-Jul-15 10:44:15

In that case Erin Grace

Sophronia Sat 04-Jul-15 10:49:25

Esme Grace

CPtart Sat 04-Jul-15 10:52:43

Erin Grace.
Erin is lovely. Same is becoming increasingly popular very quickly and not keen on Freya.
If I had a DD she would be Erin Catherine.

CPtart Sat 04-Jul-15 10:53:17

Esme becoming popular that is!

LauraW83 Sat 04-Jul-15 10:57:20

Esme is beautiful, don't particularly like the other two choices, but of course it's your decision.

Y0la Sat 04-Jul-15 10:58:17

Freya and Esme were so 'hot' for a while that I think they will sound dated. I loved these names ten years ago.

Erin, I'm not sure. It would have been my least favourite from your list when I was pregnant myself a decade ago, but now, knowing how age-specific freya and esme are, and Erin still maintaining an 'could be any age' feel to it, I'm going to jump ship and say Erin.

FernGullysWoollyPully Sat 04-Jul-15 11:01:29

I know a couple of Freya's and an Esme. But no Erin's. It's beautiful and timeless I think. Good on any age.

GatoradeMeBitch Sat 04-Jul-15 11:24:34

Erin is a beautiful classic name. Your friends' noses will unscrunch if you use it!

As much as I love it, Esme is one of those names which has kind of been tainted by association with a big film franchise (Twilight).

batfish Sat 04-Jul-15 11:38:33

trees I have stopped having any baby name chat with friends as everyone has different tastes so after a couple of bad reactions about names we liked I have just stopped discussing it - people won't say to your face that they don't like the name after the baby comes so as long as you love it that's all that matters.

LovethenameDaphne Sat 04-Jul-15 12:57:28

I love Esme but it's been spoilt by the Esmay pronunciation for me. If you like the Esmay pronunciation I would go for Esme as it's a lovely name and prefer to Erin or Freya.

Zakken Sat 04-Jul-15 13:21:44

I dislike Erin. It's absolutely not a classic name - it's an anglicisation of the Irish word for Ireland. It was picked up by Americans as a faux-Irish name.

Freya and Esme are very faddy and will date. Grace is lovely but so so common now. I know 3 dogs called Grace and that's without even starting on the children!

Sorry, but I clearly don't share your taste and I would be looking outside the box.

Treesandbees Sat 04-Jul-15 13:35:01

Zakken what do you suggest then? We have a very unusual surname that 99% of people can't pronounce or spell. It also has 2 lots of 'ee' sounds in it. It's made it hard to find names that go with it but definitely open to suggestions as long as it's easy to spell and say!!

fanjodisfunction Sat 04-Jul-15 13:37:42

love all three but Erin tips it for me. it's just a gorgeous name.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now