Talk

Advanced search

Elsie May or Mae

(28 Posts)
coneywonder Fri 03-Jul-15 12:29:52

My OH things Mae looks pretencious but has left it to me to decide.

Which do you prefer? If neither is an answer then please offer alternatives I'm due in 4 days and we only just decided on a middle name. Elsie is definitely going to be her name though (if we have a girl)

TheAwfulDaughter Fri 03-Jul-15 12:36:50

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

barbecue Fri 03-Jul-15 12:45:27

I prefer the May spelling, so Elsie May.

Elsie Juliet
Elsie Caroline
Elsie Faye
Elsie Miranda
Elsie Olivia

LastOneDancing Fri 03-Jul-15 12:50:21

May.

Each to their own but I'm old fashioned.
I'd also call her Eleanor or Elisabeth and shorten it but I know lots of people disagree smile

Eleanor May is lovely

slippermaiden Fri 03-Jul-15 12:58:03

May is better.

FraggleHair Fri 03-Jul-15 13:20:05

Elsie is nice but May/Mae has to be up there with Rose as the most overused middle name at the moment. Every other girl I hear of seems to be a Lily Rose or a Tilly May or some other variation.

Elsie Jane?

coneywonder Fri 03-Jul-15 13:20:19

Thanks ladies. I don't know any Elsie babies at all. I know it's becoming popular though. My partners nana is called Elsie which is why we have chosen that name.

I shall run your suggestions by my other half, naming a human is hard!

coneywonder Fri 03-Jul-15 13:20:53

Elsie Jane is nice but Jane is my middle name think that matters?

IncognitoBurrito Fri 03-Jul-15 15:13:45

Elsie May! Lovely, it was my grandma's name. Don't like Mae so much - seems made up.

Iliveinalighthousewith2friendl Fri 03-Jul-15 15:30:47

Love Elsie. It's gorgeous, but Not another Mae/May. For a MN.
How about something a bit more different.
Elsie Jade
Elsie Marie
Elsie Beth
Elsie Sophia
Elsie Jeanette
Elsie Kate
Elsie Louise
Elsie Jo

Sophronia Fri 03-Jul-15 19:53:33

Elsie Jane is lovely, much nicer than Elsie May/Mae.

EhricLovesTheBhrothers Fri 03-Jul-15 19:54:44

Please lose the May if you can think of a better one, but if you must, May with no hyphen, never, ever Mae

Baguettes Fri 03-Jul-15 19:55:46

Elsie is nice. May / Mae overused and uninspiring.

There are some lovely middle names out there...do you have any others in mind?

AGnu Fri 03-Jul-15 20:00:18

In my family the eldest child of each gender gets the respective of the same gender parent's middle name. My middle name has been passed down for 4 or 5 generations so far. I love the tradition but it looks like it'll stop with me unless I can convince DH to get me upduffed with a female foetus. He's saying no more DC. sad

coneywonder Fri 03-Jul-15 20:04:22

I really cannot think or have seen any other name I like. I have completely gone off May now too. Back to square one haha

annatha Fri 03-Jul-15 20:07:26

I prefer the more traditional May to go with a traditional first name (which I love!) But as others have said its very popular. My dd's middle name is Maye after Glen Maye on the Isle of Man but I doubt she'll be the only one of her friends with that MN. I wouldn't see having the same mn as a problem, lots of boys have the same first name as their dads after all.

Sansfards Fri 03-Jul-15 20:08:54

Mabel instead of May?

coneywonder Fri 03-Jul-15 20:09:22

My partner says my middle name is also too commonly used and doesn't like it. Haha. At least if we have a boy we have a name picked out for him!!

nannyplumislostinspace Fri 03-Jul-15 20:15:25

May/Mae is so popular as a middle name at the moment. I really don't like it.

Elsie Jane is lovely

silverglitterpisser Fri 03-Jul-15 20:15:26

Elsie is a nice name without the May/Mae (n I've seen it Mai too shock ). Is it a middle name to only b used on paperwork etc or will u refer to her as Elsie May / Elsie-May?

Every other girl under about 7 has a -May or a May on the end of perfectly nice names, I don't like the trend personally but if u r dead set on it then I think May is the nicest of the 3 spelling options.

coneywonder Fri 03-Jul-15 20:18:09

I think I'll drop a middle name if I can't think of one. It won't be hyphenated anyway she would be known as Elsie but everyone on my side of the family has middle names you see

silverglitterpisser Fri 03-Jul-15 20:43:22

Elsie is nice, Elsie May is nice too as actual first n middle names iyswim. Great that u r not hyphenating it smile .

spiderlight Fri 03-Jul-15 20:52:01

May is better - Mae looks weird and unfinished to me, somehow. I had a lovely, lovely great-auntie called Elsie Maria (pronounced as in Mariah Carey) if that's any help to you!

coneywonder Fri 03-Jul-15 20:57:44

Thanks ladies smile

GotTheKey Sun 05-Jul-15 18:35:15

If you're going to add May then I'd use the May spelling. I work with kids and adding Mae to the end has become popular and also I would say is not associated with being pretentious but perhaps the other end of the spectrum :-/

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now