Talk

Advanced search

Sydney for a girl

(45 Posts)
LovethenameDaphne Thu 02-Jul-15 19:12:48

Hi all,

What do you all think of the name Sydney for a girl?
It's not my usual style but I quite like it. Do you know any Sydneys? It would be paired with a traditional middle name, probably Anne after a family member. DH loves it which is unusual for him so I'm giving it some thought!

Sophronia Thu 02-Jul-15 19:22:23

I'm not keen, I prefer the french name Sidonie.

LovethenameDaphne Thu 02-Jul-15 19:39:21

Think I prefer Sydney to Sidonie. Have never heard of that name except on mumsnet.

CurlsLDN Thu 02-Jul-15 19:41:21

I know a female Sydney in her 20s, she's really cool. A bit of a tomboy, as you might expect. Everyone shortens it to sid, so you have to like that too

ShuShuFontana Thu 02-Jul-15 19:41:24

I like it, but then I like boyish/neutral names for girls,

jo, jodie, elliot ....sydney is fab!

Wishful80sMontage Thu 02-Jul-15 19:43:04

I normally very very traditional with names but I do like Sydney and Elliot for girls name more so than I do for boys. It's a feisty sort of name smile

TheBobbinIsWound Thu 02-Jul-15 19:43:38

I knew a Sydney about 7 years ago. She had a twin sister called Atlanta.

LovethenameDaphne Thu 02-Jul-15 19:53:59

I agree that it's quite feisty and tom boyish which I like. As you can tell by my username my other fave name is Daphne but I prefer Syd to Daph and I think Sydney might be more 'us'.

chaya5738 Thu 02-Jul-15 22:43:09

Um, it is a city in Australia. If she ever wanted to visit there she would feel like a complete dork.

ChippyMinton Thu 02-Jul-15 23:31:49

Have you considered Sydna as an alternative?

mrstowers Thu 02-Jul-15 23:33:42

Love it! Says strong female to me.

KnockMeDown Thu 02-Jul-15 23:36:28

Sydney is absolutely fine - go for it!

Sydna, on the other hand, is awful grin

SavoyCabbage Thu 02-Jul-15 23:44:12

I do t think so Chaya. There are a lot of girls called Sydney here. And Adelaide. And Alice.

Canyouforgiveher Thu 02-Jul-15 23:46:29

Um, it is a city in Australia. If she ever wanted to visit there she would feel like a complete dork.

Would that apply to Adelaides visiting Adelaide or Alices visiting Alice in Australia too?

I know a few Sydneys (they nearly all have sisters called Olivia for some reason smile) I wouldn't go for it myself but I think it is a strong name and Syd as a nickname is great.

ShadowFire Thu 02-Jul-15 23:48:32

Too boyish for my liking. I find it too hard to get away from the boy's name (Sidney) here.

I don't think I'd worry too much about the city connection though, it's not like it's the only baby name that's also a place name out there.

SavoyCabbage Thu 02-Jul-15 23:50:09

Canyou, we forgot the Katherines! grin

Canyouforgiveher Fri 03-Jul-15 00:05:18

smile Savoy

There's a town called Elizabeth in New Jersey.

And then there is Charlotte, North Carolina - god hope the Walses never go there. Imagine if they did it and included a trip to Georgetown too - mega embarrassing. OMG do you think the names of these places have anything to do with popular names of the royal family of the colonial power??????

HaleMary Fri 03-Jul-15 00:07:55

It's good, and there's a cool literary heroine in Elizabeth Bowen's a novel The Hotel.

ChippyMinton Fri 03-Jul-15 00:08:40

knockmedown I'll let her know! I rather like it.

turdfairynomore Fri 03-Jul-15 00:12:25

I know a Sydney. She'd be about 16 by now and she really suited her name. If I remember correctly she was a bit of a "surprise" as the scan had suggested a boy -who was to be Henry!

SycamoreMum Fri 03-Jul-15 00:12:41

I like it. Reminds me of Sigourney which I've always liked.

Quasilulu Fri 03-Jul-15 02:30:57

I'm so sorry but it's my most disliked name for boys and especially girls. Sounds greasy and aggressive to me...

saffronwblue Fri 03-Jul-15 03:25:50

I think it is cool. Was it the name of the mother of the Mitfords?

swimmerforlife Fri 03-Jul-15 04:13:40

I love it! Really nice name.

There are plenty of place names that can be baby names too like Victoria, Adelaide, Devon, Savannah, Chelsea, Virginia, Dakota etc

sugartees Fri 03-Jul-15 04:25:28

I know of a little baby girl called Sydney, everyone seemed to assume they were a boy upon hearing the name, but I think it's much nicer as a girl's name.

Makes me think of Sidney Prescott (lead character in the Scream movies) so I can't resist saying it in a sinister voice...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now