Talk

Advanced search

Narrowed down to 2 - opinions needed please

(11 Posts)
Lovethebubbles Thu 02-Jul-15 11:00:56

Expecting DD2 any day now. DD1 is called Grace which we love (although it has become more popular now). I like it because it's one syllable and can't be shortened.
We have always liked Brooke, for the same reason.

However, we recently heard the name Delta and my husband and I were really drawn to it. It's really quite unusual though and a bit "out there" which is why I have some hesitation about using it. But my main concern is where we live, the local accent often means a lot of people don't pronounce their T's properly, and hearing my child being called Delta without the T being said would aggravate the hell out of me. Quite a few of DH's family would be included in this and I know I would feel the need to correct them confused.

Because of this we had kind of settled on Brooke.... But having just mentioned it to DD1 she has told me she really doesn't like it and really wants her to be called Delta. Meaning that I'm more confused than ever!

So, perhaps you could tell me which you prefer, Brooke or Delta? We quite like Imogen for a middle name.

tocmrpouce Thu 02-Jul-15 11:09:42

I prefer Brooke. Delta sounds a bit made up to me.
I don't think either go with Imogen as a middle name; Imogen is classic whereas your name choices are more modern. But that's just my opinion of course!

Zakken Thu 02-Jul-15 11:10:20

I don't like Brooke at all, but I don't like surnames used as girls names full stop. I don't think there's anything feminine about Brooke, it's a hard monosyllable. And the only Brooke I know is an elderly man.

Delta, it wouldn't be my choice, but at least she could have a little triangle as a signature, which would be cool at school! grin

I see your problem with the dropped T. I suppose it would then sound a bit like Della, so it could be worse. Personally I prefer Delia or Della.

WorldsBiggestGrotbag Thu 02-Jul-15 11:12:02

I prefer Brooke I think, and Brooke Imogen sounds better than Delta Imogen. I know what you mean re pronunciation, my DH likes Holly for DD2 but I vetoed because we've just moved to an area where they drop their h's and y often becomes 'eh'. I wouldn't be able to stand listening to it!

Artandco Thu 02-Jul-15 11:16:56

If it's without the t I would consider delia/ dahlia

Laquila Thu 02-Jul-15 11:22:24

Was just about to x-post with Art - how about Dahlia/Dalia, or even Talia?

swimmerforlife Thu 02-Jul-15 11:29:12

Delta defiantly! Fab name. Brooke is okay but a bit bland and is becoming a bit dated.

There's that lovely Australia singer called Delta Goodrem who was in Neighbours years ago, plus Kristen Bell and Dax Shepherd named their daughter Delta smile

Salmotrutta Thu 02-Jul-15 11:44:08

I really like Della as an alternative!

It's a proper name and unusual nowadays.

Zzzsnatcher Thu 02-Jul-15 12:31:27

Delphi is nice version of Delta.Delta isn't very nice,imo

VT82 Thu 02-Jul-15 12:40:01

I like Delta - thinking Delta Goodrem, the greek letter, mathematics...

But that's not answering your issue of the dropped 'T'. I don't tend to think about stuff like that myself, but that's usually to my own detriment usually. When I do actually think about, yes it probably would put me off enough to not use it.

Lovethebubbles Thu 02-Jul-15 13:29:21

Thank you to everyone who has given me their opinions... It's much appreciated. We're not keen on any of the 'alternatives'... I also know a Delphi already and Della would really not work with our surname. It's definitely going to be Brooke or Delta, and it's helpful knowing what people's thoughts on both are... even if you don't like it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now