Talk

Advanced search

Eloïse, Elodie, Talia or Léonie

(39 Posts)
Maplessglobe Tue 30-Jun-15 15:24:35

Which do you prefer?
I do mean Talia (tal-ya) as opposed to Thalia- the Hebrew version meaning dew of heaven.
DH prefers Eloïse but I'm worried it's too much of a little girl name/ becoming very popular.

GinUpGirl Tue 30-Jun-15 15:30:04

Elodie is my favourite.

I hate Leonie with a burning passion.

TobleroneBoo Tue 30-Jun-15 15:33:04

One of those is my namegrin she will spend her whole life correcting people though

BlueBananas Tue 30-Jun-15 15:34:33

I live Elodie & Thalia, although I like Thalia, not Tal-ya, I think she'd spend forever telling people how to pronounce it that way

MarinaCoyle Tue 30-Jun-15 15:35:12

Elodie elodie elodie.

TranmereRover Tue 30-Jun-15 15:36:40

We know five little Elodies - that's the popular one.
And what about Heloise instead of Eloise?

Usernamesarehard Tue 30-Jun-15 15:36:42

Eloise is lovely x

Maplessglobe Tue 30-Jun-15 15:50:15

Thank you, all.
5 elodies, wow. We don't know any littlies, just an adult one.
I like Héloïse but DH against this spelling, thinks it will cause pronunciation issues.
Agree about Talia pronunciation though- that's one of my concerns with it.

CordeliaFrost Tue 30-Jun-15 16:19:16

I love Talia, it was on our final list for our soon-to-be-here DD (although with the original spelling Talya), and I would know how to pronounce it as I'm Jewish.

Perhaps the spelling of Talya could solve the issue?

NB: Talya means means 'dew from G-d', not heaven, as Tal = dew and Yah = G-d/Lord. The Hebrew word for heaven is shamayim. Just wanted to let you know, in case the meaning was important to you.

Maplessglobe Tue 30-Jun-15 16:25:39

Ah yes, you're right, Cordelia- thank you. And I guess Talya would work better - or Talyah?

Magicalmrmistofeles Tue 30-Jun-15 16:27:37

Elodie is my absolute favourite name ever. DH vetoed it though.

Never seen Eloise with the two for thing before.

Hate Talia.

hawkmcqueen Tue 30-Jun-15 16:47:16

I had suggested Elodie to friends when I was pg and they put me off by saying el what? Odie? Like the dog from garfield?? Not keen on Leonie.

I like Eloise and Talia, both more classic Imo. I prob prefer Talia.

barbecue Tue 30-Jun-15 17:27:48

1. Talia
2. Leonie
3. Elodie
4. Eloise

Sophronia Tue 30-Jun-15 17:37:56

I like Talia and Leonie, don't like Elodie or Eloise.

ashesandfire Tue 30-Jun-15 17:57:23

LOVE Elodie and Eloise, they are two of my favourite ever names

CordeliaFrost Tue 30-Jun-15 19:39:17

I like both Talya and Talyah, and both certainly make the pronunciation clearer. At least they should do.

I slightly prefer Talya, that's how we had the spelling down, but that's because we have an 11-letter surname so we always try to keep the first names as short as we can. Therefore I think my mind has trained itself to prefer shorter (or shorter versions of) names.

We've decided on Liora for our impending arrival, but Talya is still on our list for next time (if there is one).

froggyjump Tue 30-Jun-15 20:13:41

I like Leonie, would you pronounce it Lee-onie or Lay-oh-nee? (I don't know what the accents do, sorry)

Talya/Talyah is nice but I prefer Eloise to Elodie, personally

AGBforever Tue 30-Jun-15 20:24:08

Love Elodie, another one vetoed by DH sadly. Not so keen on Leonie but like Talia & Eloise (Heloise even better)

OwlOffshore Tue 30-Jun-15 20:26:29

Eloise!

Biased as I knew a grim Leone. And Elodie will be confused with Melody ...

Much prefer Eloise to Heloise though.

DefinitelyMaybeBaby Tue 30-Jun-15 20:26:32

I really like Elodie however a woman at work just called her new baby this (and I know one other under 1) and it was met with bemused faces in the office. I was surprised no one else liked it as much and people didn't seem to have heard it and struggled to pronounce it. And now if I've heard "it's just melody without the m" once I've heard it...well a lot!

TheFillyjonk Tue 30-Jun-15 20:39:19

I like Leonie and Talia (prefer Thalia though).

LorelaiVictoriaGilmore Tue 30-Jun-15 21:52:21

Leonie!

PenguinsAreAce Tue 30-Jun-15 21:54:55

Elodie

Eleri is also a good one.

fionadal Tue 30-Jun-15 22:34:36

Thalia is lovely.

Leonie will probably involve people asking her how to spell it constantly

Elodie and Eloise are nice enough but there are lots of El- names around at the moment so they might get a bit obscured by those.

WidowWadman Tue 30-Jun-15 22:37:22

But why the heavy metal umlaut in Eloise?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now