Talk

Advanced search

Darcey?

(23 Posts)
MrsMichelRouxJr Sat 27-Jun-15 20:27:00

What do you think?

How many little girls do you know with this name and what are their middle names?

I think I've fallen in love with this name but DH not keen sad

itsnothingoriginal Sat 27-Jun-15 20:36:14

I know a little girl called Darcey. It has always felt more of a 'male' name to me but that's because I associate it with Mr Darcy blush

HelenF350 Sat 27-Jun-15 20:38:19

I love it, DP doesn't so not allowed to use it.

WheresMeJumperOhNo Sat 27-Jun-15 20:39:36

I know one Darcy, she's 2ish and very very cute. Not sure of her middle name (friend of a friend), but when I hear the name I think of this perfectly sweet little girl

Sophronia Sat 27-Jun-15 22:25:15

I'm not keen, the only one I know is a boy (spelled Darcy) around 2 months old.

nenehooo Sun 28-Jun-15 08:45:57

I have a Darcey! Absolutely love it, as does everybody else. Apart from FIL, apparently... Usually come across one other Darcey in the playground or on holiday, so it's getting more popular, I think.

Lunastarfish Sun 28-Jun-15 13:43:16

I love Darcey. Actually I love Dulcie but don't want to use it as a friend of a friend has just called her daughter it. However, when I suggested Darcey to my DP he said it's a boys name.

I don't know any baby Darceys. But bewarned it tends to be considered a bit of a 'chav' name on MN (I disagree entirely).

If I did have a Darcey she'd be Darcey Eloise

downgraded Sun 28-Jun-15 13:45:13

Lovely name.

I only know one, and I only know that one vaguely. She's primary age.

novinophobia Sun 28-Jun-15 21:59:37

I love it. I know of one born in the last year or so, which means I probably won't use it myself as I'd like to chose something no-one I know has used already! (Difficult I know....) Shame really as it has been my number one choice for a girl for years. Her middle name was the commonly used one syllable 'R' middle name - a name I also like!

shitebag Sun 28-Jun-15 22:02:29

I know one of each sex and I must say I'm not keen on it for a boy but like it for a girl.

parabelle Sun 28-Jun-15 22:26:02

I know one. She's very sweet. Middle name is Louise.

manicinsomniac Mon 29-Jun-15 07:57:34

I know two, both girls. One is 3 and one is 4. They're both adorable little girls which probably means I love the name a disproportionate amount.

One is Darcey Elizabeth and the other is Darcey Claire

manicinsomniac Mon 29-Jun-15 08:00:15

Like Luna I completely disagree that it is a name associated with lower socioeconomic groups - is there a name we can use like posh that shows what we mean but isn't derogatory?!?! - (not that it would be a problem if it was).

Both the Darceys I know are at the same rather posh private school in a very affluent, rural area.

FraggleHair Mon 29-Jun-15 11:52:48

Maybe it's like Tracy in that Tracy is a name that was initially perceived as being quite fancy, Grace Kelly's character in High Society is called Tracy as is Diana Rigg's posh character in James Bond. Then it was embraced by the masses and quickly came to be regarded as anything but fancy.

Heels99 Mon 29-Jun-15 12:04:34

Darcey bussell is indeed posh but I agree that the name has been adopted by more working class people than middle class. It's not popular in MC areas.

Seperate issue in relation to previous post about private school,
Working class people do go to private schools! My neighbours are as working class as you could get and all their kids go to,private school. They are wealthy, think scrap metal merchant type wealthy, the mum wears velour track suits with sequins on the arse, their house is footballers wives style, They would be exactly the people to call their child darcey if they had a girl.

toobreathless Mon 29-Jun-15 13:01:59

Not really my cup of tea, but I dislike almost all -ie/y names. it is a perfectly nice name and we don't know any!

BlueKarou Mon 29-Jun-15 14:02:19

I love Darcy without the 'e'. It makes me think of the character in the Thor movies; she's cool and able to handle her own. Then of course there's the ballet dancer and Austen's Darcy, and I don't mind those connections.

It's on my shortlist for girls' names, but I'm a little put off because it's entered the top 100, and I'm one of those name snobs who likes the idea of the mythical perfect name which is cute and cool and no other kid will have it, but it's a real name, not a made up one! I don't think it exists!

LikeABadSethRogenMovie Mon 29-Jun-15 14:07:26

I know one Darcey and she's 17. I can't imagine her mum ever wearing a velour tracksuit however!

TheReturnoftheSmartArse Mon 29-Jun-15 14:07:53

I know 2 primary aged Darceys. Neither is being privately educated, if that matters?! I also know two separate families with Darcy as their surname. I don't particularly like it as a first name, but I think that's because I knew of the families with the surname first.

chickydoo Mon 29-Jun-15 14:13:29

Very very popular around here
SE
6 in my sons primary school. Not my cup of tea at all.

runningandjumping Mon 29-Jun-15 14:52:23

Makes me think of Darcey Bussel and Mr Darcy. However, the only little Darecey I know is from a "chav" family (sorry!)

Ham69 Mon 29-Jun-15 16:56:24

I can only think "Arsey Darcey" when I hear that name. Sorry. However, I don't know any little Darceys. If I did it might change my opinion.

BubGal13 Mon 29-Jun-15 17:02:40

I also think of Mr Darcey and can never get my head round it/for a girl. Not very keen, sorry.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now