Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you?

(16 Posts)
Pooforbains Fri 26-Jun-15 09:33:37

Call DD Charlotte?
When we found out we were expecting in March we said straight away that if it was a girl (we now know it is) we would call her Charlotte Grace, then in May obviously the royal baby was born and named Charlotte.
I still love the name but having reservations because I can see it becoming much more popular now, and also dont want people thinking weve just copied the royals. DH thinks it doesn't matter if thats what we want.
Any thoughts.

SoupDragon Fri 26-Jun-15 09:34:58

I would think twice about it but, if I still loved the name and couldn't come up with one I loved as much (or more), then I would still use it.

LemonYellowSun Fri 26-Jun-15 09:38:45

I have never liked it, so now. Too prissy.

AuntieStella Fri 26-Jun-15 09:40:39

IIRC, George didn't change much in frequency of use.

So I think you'd be OK with Charlotte. A little conspicuous to right now (so close to the birth and being in the news) but it really won't be on anyone's mind once the princess is no longer brand new.

After all, if you met eg an octogenarian called Elizabeth, or a 30ish William, would you think of the royal family?

reuset Fri 26-Jun-15 09:43:53

Yes, of course I would use it. And what Auntiestella said also

DiddilySquat Fri 26-Jun-15 09:48:11

Can it get much more popular? It's been one of the go to names forever. Just use it if you like it.

BeautifulStars93 Fri 26-Jun-15 10:21:57

yes its a beautiful name.
I dont think George has become overly popular since Prince George so I don't imagine Charlotte will either.
x

Sophronia Fri 26-Jun-15 10:58:12

My cousin had a Charlotte Grace a few months ago, it's quite a popular combination.

WorldsBiggestGrotbag Fri 26-Jun-15 11:02:41

It's been top 10 for a very long time, I don't think the royal baby being called Charlotte will have any impact on that.
Data also shows that names become less popular when used by the Royal family. George dropped in popularity (although was a popular name anyway, like Charlotte).
I am the same age as Prince Harry and don't know a single Harry (or Henry) my age!

Zakken Fri 26-Jun-15 11:08:50

As many people will avoid it because of the Royal connection as those who might copy it, so I don't think it makes any difference.

Charlotte is a perennially popular name. If you had been considering something more unusual (for instance Geraldine or Lavinia) and the Cambridges had chosen that, then I can see the concern. But Charlotte is not in that category.

CrystalMcPistol Fri 26-Jun-15 12:33:13

Charlotte is already mega popular and has been for yonks.

Therein2tics Fri 26-Jun-15 13:36:09

Its a long used traditional name so I don't think it will be affected much by name of 1 of royal family. Like Elizabeth, Anne, Katherine etc

I'd say if you love it, then use it.

CakeRattleandRoll Fri 26-Jun-15 18:15:03

It wouldn't make any difference to me, if I loved the name I'd use it.

Blueberrybaby Fri 26-Jun-15 19:57:12

I've just found out we are expecting in Feb, and if this baby is a girl we'll call her Charlotte. It's really not something I think people will connect with. As previous posters have said, if she was Princess Imelda and you opted for that then I think people would make the connection, but I think Charlotte falls into the same bracket as any other top 20 name and therefore it dilutes it somewhat.

I know a baby George born 10 days before Prince George. New people the Mum met for about the first three months of his life made the connection and then by the time the summer was over it never got mentioned.

hawkmcqueen Fri 26-Jun-15 22:11:08

My Charlotte is 17mo and the Princess thing is over already. It's a nice connection anyway and a conversation starter. You can just say it's a family name, as everyone says, it's a traditional name that is timeless and classless.

hippoherostandinghere Sat 27-Jun-15 22:02:05

I may be wrong but I don't think it's been top 10 for I while. I have one who's nearly 4 and it was about number 22 when I picked her name. I totally love it, everyone comments on how lovely her name is. Use it if you love it, you'll regret it if you don't.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now