Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

What do you think of the name Merryn for a girl?

(54 Posts)
Ficidy Fri 26-Jun-15 08:13:05

This is one of the few names my dh and I can agree on. It's a Cornish name, but we live in Ireland. Do you think there would be any issues with pronunciation?

Our other names are Lois, Arwen/Arwyn, Ines, Roslyn (but it's unlikely we'll choose this and I prefer Rosalind anyway). Trying to persuade my fussy dh that Ramona is a lovely name.

We already have a Milo.

We don't know what we're having. No idea re boys' names at all.

ExitStageLeft Fri 26-Jun-15 08:15:38

To me, it sounds like a boys name but that's probably my ignorance. Ramona is the best name in the world ever, but DH wouldn't let me use it for DD either. I prefer Arwyn. What about Roisin?

treaclesoda Fri 26-Jun-15 08:16:59

I like it.

I love Lois best of all though. smile

Zzzsnatcher Fri 26-Jun-15 08:17:16

I really love it! I know two under 3. Beautiful name

MarinaCoyle Fri 26-Jun-15 08:17:35

Sounds a bit more like a boy's name to me too. Also has an unfortunate Game of Thrones link.

NapoleonsNose Fri 26-Jun-15 08:18:43

I live very close to the St Merryn, in Cornwall and I know of a couple of Merryns. Its pretty - I like it.

Hardtoknow Fri 26-Jun-15 08:19:32

I like it... but I'm not sure I do with Milo.

TheGirlOnTheLanding Fri 26-Jun-15 08:20:10

I like it. Also like Mirren (Scottish) and from your list Arwen and Roslyn/Rhoslyn.

ShatterResistant Fri 26-Jun-15 08:20:51

I love Merryn. Was on our list. Well, MY list - It wasn't traditional enough for DH...

5madthings Fri 26-Jun-15 08:21:07

I love it, but am biased, it's my daughters name. She is four and the only one we know. I have heard of others online. It's unusual but not popular, since my dd was born there have averaged about 30 babies a year called Merryn according to ons statistics.

FringedLampshade Fri 26-Jun-15 08:21:59

It's nice. I'm Irish, and wouldn't anticipate any pronunciation difficulties.

MarinaCoyle Fri 26-Jun-15 08:22:55

I should add I do actually love it though and would be all for it were it not for the GOT character! (Though that'll be forgotten in time I'm sure.)

BikeRunSki Fri 26-Jun-15 08:24:23

I havens very good friend from St Merryn and her middle name is Merryn. I think it's lovely name and only has positive associations for me. I really like all your other names and your DS's name too.

5madthings Fri 26-Jun-15 08:25:30

I don't know got, having Googled they spell the characters name meryn so not quite the same. But it's not a massive connection. Unless you watch it I guess.

patienceisvirtuous Fri 26-Jun-15 08:30:36

I'm not keen. Much prefer Ines/Inez or Ramona.

Ficidy Fri 26-Jun-15 09:23:26

Thanks everyone for all your input. I'm glad so many people like it, but also like our other names.

ExitStageLeft, Roisin is out because it's a close relative's name on dh's side and for personal reasons, we can't use it.

I also like Meredith, but dh has vetoed it. I forgot to add earlier that he likes Celeste. I'm on the fence.

After all this, we'll probably have a boy who will be nameless!

Stinkersmum Fri 26-Jun-15 09:26:03

Don't use another 'm' name - even if it isn't intended, it looks so contrived. Lois is gorgeous though. Love that name.

OhtoblazeswithElvira Fri 26-Jun-15 09:28:05

Merryn makes me think of that FT Money writer... It's pretty, not overused and relevant to you - a winner imo way better than Ramona anyway

DipsoHippo Fri 26-Jun-15 09:28:41

I like Merryn. I'd never heard it before, but it reminds me of the Irish name "Muireann" which I love.

RiverTam Fri 26-Jun-15 09:28:45

Merryn is lovely, can't decide whether its a bit twee or not to have both DC with M names. Lois is lovely. Arwen is too associated with Lord of the Rings for me, but it's a nice name. I really don't like Ramona at all.

BitOutOfPractice Fri 26-Jun-15 09:30:13

I really really like it.

Ficidy Fri 26-Jun-15 09:34:29

Yeah, I was wondering that about the M names. Hmm, something to talk to dh about.

Lindy2 Fri 26-Jun-15 09:36:15

I've not heard of it before but I really like it.

JassyRadlett Fri 26-Jun-15 09:39:30

I went to school with one, no pronunciation issues. Lovely name.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Fri 26-Jun-15 09:39:50

I like the name and I know one who is 15. I like Rosalind much more though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now