Talk

Advanced search

Help with some European inspired girls names

(13 Posts)
Unthoughtknown Thu 25-Jun-15 17:11:49

I am trying to get a name shortlist together but am in need of inspiration. I like European, particularly scandavian names. Surname, one syllable opposite of night.

Names on the shortlist so far (any opinions appreciated)
Nora
Zoe
Annika
Thea

I like but doesn't work with surname
Freja
Heidi

If anyone has any more suggestions it would much appreciated.

charlyn Thu 25-Jun-15 17:32:41

How about..

Greta
Anouk
Marta
Nova
Louisa
Anna
Gaia

goodnessgraciousgouda Thu 25-Jun-15 18:33:45

Unless you actually have actual links to any of these countries, I'd advise choosing something that isn't too "foreign" to UK ears. Your child will spend a lifetime of people assuming they are from X country, speak the language, or at least have strong links there. Kind of cruel...

I knew a Freja when I was little, and have always considered it a lovely name. On your list, Zoe maybe. I think Annika and Thea are a bit too "out there".

"Agnes" is apparently partly a Swedish name. I knew a Swedish "Nathalia".

Eveline? Ester?

Unthoughtknown Thu 25-Jun-15 19:25:21

Yes you're right, had this conversation with dp about getting the balance right between Europe inspired and ott. So Ana Cristina or vilma for instance are out smile. Like Louisa though, lovely name.

Sophronia Thu 25-Jun-15 19:27:42

I don't think Annika and Thea are "out there". I know girls from the UK with both names. Annika is my favourite from your list.

ThinkIveBeenHacked Thu 25-Jun-15 19:29:37

Innes?

Rivercam Thu 25-Jun-15 19:32:05

Katerina
Christina
Maria
Annalise
Daniella
Johanna
Sofia
Karina
Natasha

BangingTheDrums Thu 25-Jun-15 19:38:51

Love Annika (would assume Dd had European ancestry) and Thea (wouldn't cross my mind).
How about Ottilie? Sabine?

mathanxiety Thu 25-Jun-15 19:40:02

Magdalena or Lena
Emma
Elsa
Anoushka
Saskia (more Dutch really)
Elin
Kirsten
Eva

Sleepybeanbump Thu 25-Jun-15 19:52:46

I've always adored the Spanish name Catalina, and it's the name of a lovely lady I was very fond of as a child.

I haven't seriously considered using it though, as I can imagine all the awkward conversations .... 'Oh so you're part Spanish? You speak Spanish then?'

Erm....no! I'd feel a bit daft.

MrsGolightly Thu 25-Jun-15 19:58:07

I have one of the names on your original list and can't say that it is remotely tedious or awkward when people say 'oh are you from XXXXX then' - I just say no, had a boho upbringing. My name is really unusual (particularly not being the standard pronunciation) and I am very glad to have it - people remember me smile

Unthoughtknown Thu 25-Jun-15 20:02:39

Some lovely suggestions so far, thank you so much. Sleepy, in the same vein I love the Anwar for a boy, but would be weird....'so your dp has middle eastern heritage?' 'Um no'

matchingmoll Thu 25-Jun-15 20:38:19

Love Nora and Annika. How about Lena or Linnea?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now