Talk

Advanced search

Help to name DD

(25 Posts)
thinkfast Sun 21-Jun-15 23:39:12

I had DD somewhat earlier than expected last week and need some help/inspiration. I like pretty sounding, unusual names, preferably with a meaning. We have a 2 syllable surname beginning with R.

So far I like Marina or Carina and we'd call her Rina. Rina was my grandmother's middle name. DH likes Carina but not Marina. I slightly prefer Marina but like that Carina means dear little one as DD is small.

However not sure that I really love either name. Can you suggest any alternatives?

lordsandladies Sun 21-Jun-15 23:41:19

Eliana

Eliza

Safina

Indigo

lordsandladies Sun 21-Jun-15 23:41:31

Congratulations btw!

thinkfast Sun 21-Jun-15 23:49:09

Thank you and thanks for the suggestions. Please keep them coming

shitebag Sun 21-Jun-15 23:54:10

Congratulations smile

Of the 2 youve mentioned I prefer Marina, Carina makes me think of a car (I know its a Cortina but its just ringing bells weirdly grin).

How about Arianna (silver), Tahlia (heavens dew), Eleyna (sun ray), Orla (golden), Saskia (the Saxon people), Cara (dear friend)?

Not great meanings but they don't mean much in the grand scheme of things.

NadiaWadia Mon 22-Jun-15 00:46:17

Re: cars, there used to be a popular car called a Marina, way back when (Morris Marina). I remember my Dad having one in the 70s.

Going by the pp, seems people won't make that connection now, though. It's a lovely name, and I prefer to Carina somehow. There have been a couple of Princess Marinas and there was also a mermaid in one of the Thunderbirds spinoffs.

NadiaWadia Mon 22-Jun-15 00:49:45

To get the nickname 'Rina', there's Zarina or Sabrina.

There's also Serena, and Lorena, maybe you could alter the spelling?

Allalonenow Mon 22-Jun-15 00:53:17

Corinna is very pretty and in the same style.

NadiaWadia Mon 22-Jun-15 01:02:11

Yes, Corinna's nice and quite unusual.

There's also Catrina/Katrina. And I think you can use 'Rina' as short for Katherine/Catherine too.

IsItStupid Mon 22-Jun-15 06:43:16

Alternatives that I would second are Sarena and Corinna.

BadHenry Mon 22-Jun-15 06:44:35

Congratulations!

Carina is nice. Personally I prefer Corrina, Corrine or Cara but only slightly. Cara means "dear friend" iirc.

I'm not keen in Rina I'm afraid.. Makes me think of the renal system! Is honouring your grandma important to you? What was her first name?

Rita is cute (maybe short for Marguerite?)

Sophronia Mon 22-Jun-15 10:41:21

Marina is lovely.

Sarina
Catarina/Caterina/Katarina/Katharina
Darina
Florina
Nerina
Sabrina

Zakken Mon 22-Jun-15 11:44:15

I love Marina, but if that's vetoed then I think I like Serena best of those suggested so far. I don't like Carina.

Corinna is also a beautiful classical name, but perhaps not quite the sound you are looking for. I don't like Corrina (see above)

thinkfast Mon 22-Jun-15 11:55:10

We have to register her at gp today so need to decide.

Dh will let me choose but really doesn't like marina.

I like carina but prefer marina but don't want to pick a name he hates. Am thinking either

Carina Mae
Carina Rose
carina maeve

MrsSchadenfreude Mon 22-Jun-15 12:01:28

Corina is a Romanian name (and there is a popstar of this name), which is quite pretty, I think, and would give you a shortening of "Rina" more than "Corinna" (which is also nice), if you wanted a slightly different spelling.

shitebag Mon 22-Jun-15 12:03:52

This may seem a slightly odd perception (I have been known to err that way ;) ) but would Carina automatically be pronounced to rhyme with Arena (Ca-ree-na) rather than Vagina (Ca-rhy-na)?

Carina Rose is the nicest full name in my opinion but you might want to watch out for the nickname or she may become Rina Rose Rooney(completely random 2 syllable R surname) which sounds a bit of a mouth full grin

Zakken Mon 22-Jun-15 12:05:08

By "register at gp" do you mean the doctor? I'm sure you would be able to change that later if need be.

Ikeameatballs Mon 22-Jun-15 12:10:54

Just register her at the GP as baby girl R. She'll have her NHS number so it'll be fine.

Spend a bit more time thinking about it until you are both confident in your choice.

Fwiw I love Carina but also like the suggestion of Lorena up thread.

thinkfast Mon 22-Jun-15 12:12:40

Thanks everyone. Yes we may well be able to change it with doctor later

MrsBennetsEldest Mon 22-Jun-15 16:43:41

Verruca wink

Cloggal Mon 22-Jun-15 18:09:52

Carina Maeve is beautiful.

Catriona? (Pronounced 'Cat-reena')

PallasCat Mon 22-Jun-15 18:15:55

Congratulations! flowers

Personally I love Marina too! And Rena or Reina can be a given name in its own right, have you considered just Rina?

Other names that could shorten to Rina...
Audrina
Catrina/Katrina
Catriona

Maybe consider starting with the R- and ending with -na, so the shortening would skip the middle syllables...
Rowena
Regina
Renata
Rosalina
Marianna could also shorten to Rena/Rina?

Alternatively...
Jacinta
Marissa
Mariska
Miranda
Cornelia
Aubretia
Coretta

ch1134 Mon 22-Jun-15 19:59:04

I like Carina and Corinna

cashewnutty Mon 22-Jun-15 20:07:19

Catriona is not pronounced cat-reena or even catree-oh-nah. It is pronounced catree-ohnah. It is for that reason my DD is Katrina because i hate how Catriona is mis-pronounced even though i love the name.

Cloggal Tue 23-Jun-15 08:25:19

Yep cashew, it's an odd one, I'd generally assume a Cat-reena pronunciation unless they spoke Gaelic (although in quite a few pals' accents, the 'uh' in Cat-tree-uh-nuh' gets elided a lot anyway). Either way a lovely name as are Catrina/Katrina and Caitriana/Caitriona.

Also thought of Irena, and Maureen/Mairin (can't do accents!), but still think Carina Maeve might be my favourite

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now