Talk

Advanced search

2nd baby boy name

(19 Posts)
lharvey82 Sat 20-Jun-15 07:59:34

Hi, we have one son called Ben, but while I was pregnant with him we only managed to come up with one boy & one girl's name we agreed on! Still happy to use the girl's name in future, but if we have another boy we're stumped!! Suggestions welcome, but with a few rules(!):
We don't want to 'share' initials with immediate family members so names beginning with B, D, L, R or S are out.
Our surname is Harvey so we'd prefer a first name that isn't also used as a surname (& would probably rule out any names beginning with H).
We like names like Daniel, Matthew & Adam but already have relatives with these names.
Looking for something that's not too common, but also that's not too unusual & don't want the child to forever be having to explain the spelling of their name.
Thanks for any suggestions... smile

eatyourveg Sat 20-Jun-15 08:09:43

Alex, Miles, Dominic, Toby, Philip

lharvey82 Sat 20-Jun-15 09:38:14

Thanks - I like Toby but not sure if it goes with our surname since both end with an 'a' sound?? x

ThroughThickAndThin01 Sat 20-Jun-15 09:41:35

Tom
Joe
Nathaniel (Nate)
James/Jamie
Oliver

ThroughThickAndThin01 Sat 20-Jun-15 09:43:13

Edward (Ed/Teddy)
William (Will)
Alexander

Rosieliveson Sat 20-Jun-15 09:45:51

If you like Toby you might also like Tobias. How about Theo, Finn, Thomas?

Elllimam Sat 20-Jun-15 09:54:29

Lucas? Joseph?

MrsHathaway Sat 20-Jun-15 10:00:11

Almost all boys' names are also surnames including Adam, Matthew and Daniel (admittedly usually with S on the end) grin

George
Max
Laurence
James
Edward
Robert

Bicnod Sat 20-Jun-15 10:04:04

Ben was on our list.

DSs are Oscar Matthew and James Douglas.

Other names we liked were Henry/Harry (probably won't work for your surname), Toby and Christopher.

Bicnod Sat 20-Jun-15 10:04:50

Oh and love Robert but wouldn't work with our surname so couldn't have it.

Wearit Sat 20-Jun-15 10:25:50

How about Aiden?

Sophronia Sat 20-Jun-15 11:02:27

Gabriel
Andrew
Patrick
Oliver
Jacob
Thomas
Christopher
Jude
William
Seth
Michael
Joseph
Isaac
Peter
Jonathan
Frederick
Jasper
Arthur
Nicholas
Joshua

lharvey82 Sat 20-Jun-15 11:26:47

Love Jude, but my husband doesn't like it.
I'm not so keen on the traditional names like James, Robert & Tom - probably because I associate them with boys I went to school with!
I like Aiden & Max but they do seem to be quite common locally.
MrsHathaway you're right enough - I hadn't really thought of that. Might need to reconsider that 'rule' to give us more options! wink

CakeRattleandRoll Sat 20-Jun-15 16:24:53

Elliot
Owen
Aaron
Felix
John
Anthony
Morgan
Vincent
Paul
Julian
Marcus

haleandhearty Sun 21-Jun-15 21:33:53

If you want to avoid names that are too common, probably best to avoid some of the suggestions above lists: Joshua and Jacob are pretty popular, and Toby and Theo definitely on the rise. Have met a lot of babies with those names recently.

Names that go well with Harvey are (IMO!) names ending in consonants:

Joseph (Joe) Harvey
Patrick Harvey
Christopher (Kit) Harvey
Caleb Harvey
Ted Harvey
Albert Harvey
Gilbert Harvey

Think I like Joe Harvey best out of my list!

Good Luck with choosing. Love the name Ben btw!

shitebag Sun 21-Jun-15 21:57:45

Aaron
Alistair
Austin
Callum
Christopher
Cameron
Eric
Francis
Gordon
Gareth
Gavin
Ivan
Isaac
Jared
Kevin
Kelvin
Martin
Michael
Marcus
Peter
Paul
Patrick
Quentin
Thomas
Taylor
Tyler
William

lharvey82 Mon 22-Jun-15 07:52:09

Thanks everyone! :-)
Haleandhearty - I do like Joe, but since I've been taking Ben to 'Jo Jingles' music & movement classes, I'd now associate the name with that!
I do like the suggestions of Owen, Marcus & Gareth so will see what my husband thinks of these.
Kane or Kyle have also come to mind - any thoughts on these?
I don't know if I'm a fan of 'themed' names, but I know that 'Ben' is used in naming mountains, and 'Kyle' refers to narrow waterways, (eg. Kyle of Lochalsh & Kyles of Bute) so somehow this seems like a nice connection?? x

shitebag Mon 22-Jun-15 08:10:37

I know 2 Kane's, both nice enough but I just find it a very bland sound for some reason and I used to be a wrestling fan so always associate it with that blush

Kyle is nice too but I'd never figure out the connection if that's a consideration.

lharvey82 Mon 22-Jun-15 09:01:45

My husband made the wrestling connection too, so Kane is out! He also said Kyle is a no-no because of a chatacter in South Park!! So we're no further forward... x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now