Talk

Advanced search

Are these initials a definite no no?

(20 Posts)
Lucaslovesfelicity Fri 19-Jun-15 14:16:39

We have decided on a first name and two middle names for our DD due on Monday. The only issue is that the initials spell out HIMV. I am now starting to worry that the second middle name initial could end up being dropped, which would leave her with the initials HIV. What are your thoughts? Would you change the middle name? Thanks smile

FirstOfficerDouglasRichardson Fri 19-Jun-15 14:20:43

Do you really need to ask? Would you like the initials HIV?

SomewhereIBelong Fri 19-Jun-15 14:22:01

my friends initials spell out ARSE - some parents don't think... school was hell...

Andcake Fri 19-Jun-15 14:23:23

Yes a definite no - do you need 2 middle names? Usually the preserve of royalty or those with what used to be called chavvy leanings who gone up with unique spellings etc

lunar1 Fri 19-Jun-15 14:23:37

You can't call your child that!

Spydra Fri 19-Jun-15 14:32:44

Can you swap the names at all? Keep the first middle, the M. HMV.

Lucaslovesfelicity Fri 19-Jun-15 14:34:29

The middle names are a Iris and Mary after close family members who have passed recently. Only chance for me to use them, as I am being sterilised after this second section. I didn't realise using two middle names would be thought of as being 'chavvy & 'unique' Andcake hmm

Lucaslovesfelicity Fri 19-Jun-15 14:36:15

Thanks spydra. That it was I was thinking of doing but I just felt that Iris Mary flowed better than Mary Iris. I will have another think though. Thanks

rockybalboa Fri 19-Jun-15 14:37:12

Swap them round!

RedToothBrush Fri 19-Jun-15 14:42:31

Yes a definite no - do you need 2 middle names? Usually the preserve of royalty or those with what used to be called chavvy leanings who gone up with unique spellings etc

I think its increasingly popular with parents using one as the mother's maiden or surname. Its traditional to do the same many places. Hardly chavvy. More cultural.

Finola1step Fri 19-Jun-15 14:50:22

I would think again regarding the order of the names.

WRT the issue of 2 middle names. Both my dc have 2. One from each side of the family as a mark of respect to previous generations. There is indeed a hint of the "posh" on dh's maternal side. But there are many examples on both sides. With not a hint if "chavvy" (dreadful word).

seaoflove Fri 19-Jun-15 14:57:53

You're overthinking a little bit, which is fine! Better to overthink than underthink wink

In what circumstances would the third initial be dropped in the way you're imagining? My DD has two middle names (so, X Y Z Surname) and I've noticed on prescriptions it's printed as X Y Surname, but never X Y S. I can't think of many situations where an initial would be dropped when rendering someone's name entirely in initials, iyswim?

Sophronia Fri 19-Jun-15 16:54:27

I'd swap them round, Mary Iris.

Lucaslovesfelicity Fri 19-Jun-15 17:12:20

Thanks Redtooth and Finola. Both my other children have two middle family names. It is the same for me with regards to respect.... never really thought of it as trying to be 'unique' just following family tradition really.
Really considering swapping the two names around now but I agree seaoflove that I am possibly overthinking things a little. Thanks for all your thoughts on this by the way flowers

stiffstink Fri 19-Jun-15 21:38:47

Seaoflove - Lawyers and are usually referred to as just their initials, eg Memo to RTW so I always look at a new baby's initials!

Lucaslovesfelicity Sat 20-Jun-15 09:17:55

Thanks Stiffstink, that is also something for me to think about. Choosing a name is so frustrating at times. Just when u think u have come up with a perfect name for u, you spot something that could cause a potential issue. If only I could change my surname grin

lurkymclurkerson Sat 20-Jun-15 10:52:32

All of my teachers at school were known by initials as well on timetables and stuff. There were only room for 3 initials, so if they did have 2 middle names, one would be dropped.

AbbeyRoadCrossing Sat 20-Jun-15 10:57:58

Swap them if you can. For us the two names is traditional too, usually used for honouring family members. Never realised it was considered chavvy now, but who cares. If you look at the boards at places like Lords where they show cricketers that got 100s, most of them have 3 (or sometimes more) initials, and they were considered to be gentlemen

reuset Sat 20-Jun-15 11:12:51

That doesn't make sense grammatically. confused And you know what they say about people who use the word 'chavvy' don't you... Pots and kettles, eh. Royalty usually use far more than two middle names, if you want actual facts.

Swap initials if you can OP. Good that you spotted it at least

Lucaslovesfelicity Sat 20-Jun-15 22:33:37

Thanks everyone, we have decided to swap the two middle names around. The flow of the name is not so good but in the long run, it will save her from potential embarrassment. Thanks again flowers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now