Talk

Advanced search

Are there any names you aren't/weren't 'brave enough' to use?

(74 Posts)
00100001 Fri 19-Jun-15 08:43:17

I would love to use these for a boy;
Torey
Tracey
Remus
Armand

And for a girl;
Albany
Serenity

But it hasn't happened... Yet!

VT82 Fri 19-Jun-15 08:52:58

Boys
Torey - sounds like a naff American girl's name (spelt wrong)
Tracey - don't even go there for a boy
Remus - Harry Potter character
Armand - fine if you have any French in you

Girls
Albany - no problem with that
Serenity - or that really

Fugghetaboutit Fri 19-Jun-15 08:53:23

Maverick

StockingFullOfCoal Fri 19-Jun-15 08:58:47

Girl:
Gia
Lorelai

Boy:
Armand
Amadeo
Andrei

KERALA1 Fri 19-Jun-15 09:00:50

Augusta

Everyone else hates it but really like it! Guess it's lucky we stopping at 2

AccidentalAnarchist Fri 19-Jun-15 09:01:34

I really wanted Darwin for our son but wussed out...

BertrandRussell Fri 19-Jun-15 09:04:13

It's not you that has to be brave- it's the poor unfortunate child!

slippermaiden Fri 19-Jun-15 09:19:28

Hepsibah! It's a Hebrew name and I love it, but went for unusual/conventional instead. Tracey for a boy is wrong and will cause confusion forever!!

ThroughThickAndThin01 Fri 19-Jun-15 09:22:12

Tor would work for a boy (Victor, Torin)

Rupert, love it but just a bit too posh.

tryingtocatchthewind Fri 19-Jun-15 09:25:37

Jeremy or jolyon but we live in a working class northern town and I was too scared they were a bit too posh!

00100001 Fri 19-Jun-15 09:57:25

VT wasn't asking opinions on the names...

00100001 Fri 19-Jun-15 09:58:27

feel like I should say Tracey is a boys name though...

TongueBiter Fri 19-Jun-15 09:59:53

I wanted Tuesday for my DD. Still do

00100001 Fri 19-Jun-15 10:00:37

sp might be Tracy for a boy though smile

Holden10 Fri 19-Jun-15 10:02:44

I desperately wanted to call ds Gabriel or Emmanuel but wussed out. Im not a religious freak btw

FernGullysWoollyPully Fri 19-Jun-15 10:03:57

I love Juniper. Doesn't fit with our surname and not sure I could sell it to dh.

LadyCassandra Fri 19-Jun-15 10:04:18

I wanted to use Bear as a middle name, but chickened out and went with Jack!

00100001 Fri 19-Jun-15 10:09:34

oh, yes, I'd love Gabriel, but i know DH would veto going "heheheeh gaybriel" hmm

PontyGirl Fri 19-Jun-15 10:10:51

Mallory

Leonardo grin

longestlurkerever Fri 19-Jun-15 10:44:00

Persephone, Viola or Ophelia. Too posh and/or tragic, but they sound fab.

Thor. Until that rubbish film came out.

Gruff (pronounced Griff).

Katja

Chiara

Ines/Agnes with Spanish/French accent.

We are not Welsh/Russian/ Italian/ Spanish/ French and
I felt weirdly constrained by our boring English roots. Dunno why really but didn't want to condemn dc to a lifetime of awkward small talk about their name and heritage.

Iliveinalighthousewiththeghost Fri 19-Jun-15 10:45:48

Albany is gorgeous. Never heard it as a name before. Think I'll research it and put it dp.
I think most names are accepted now. Also what's wrong with calling your child after days on the week. We have plenty of people named April May and June don't we. I'm stRting to trip over Aprils to be honest.
I do draw the line at Tracey for a boy. I know I said most names are accepted but I didn't and don't advise take the blardy urine. I love it for a girl though, and you won't get many of them now. Another name I draw the line at is Persephone. I always though it wad pronounced Perse or phone but Perse or phonee is every bit as bad.
I don't see anything wrong with Gabriel though. Which people often say they're not brave enough to use. D.P suggested if we have a son. I can't use it though. I would if I could though without hesitation. It's gorgeous

TempsPerdu Fri 19-Jun-15 11:35:25

Boys: Cassian, Atticus and River - I like unusual names (plus I live in an area of London where pretty much anything goes!) but these are that bit too out there for me. I'd definitely use Gabriel though - in fact it's top of the list if I ever have a boy.

Girls: Quite a few - Calypso, Loveday, Juniper, Linnet, Winter, Estella, Clementina and Persephone. All lovely, but a bit too much of a statement.

Also Athena, not because it's too unusual but because I live in an area with a large Greek community but have no Greek heritage myself - would lead to confusion I suspect (still love it though and may end up using it as a mn).

Enb76 Fri 19-Jun-15 11:41:51

Lettice - I love it but couldn't possibly use it because it's too close to Lettuce.

Elfine - can't use because of Cold Comfort Farm ditto Seth for a boy

RedToothBrush Fri 19-Jun-15 12:05:30

I can understand wussing for a first name but not so much for a second.

I wish people were braver with choices as no one would bat an eyelid if more people did. Its all about conforming rather than giving a something you truly love, and I confess I do find that a little sad. A lot of the criticisms about the child having to live with it, would go out the window if it was the norm too.

A PP listed Mallory above. I love it but it was axed due to it meaning 'Bad Luck' which I thought was particularly unfortunate.

Elllimam Fri 19-Jun-15 12:59:32

I like Linnet actually. I also liked Angharad. I had boys though and wouldn't have been brave enough anyway. Also Gwyn/Gwydion.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now