Talk

Advanced search

Rachel

(13 Posts)
WhyCantIuseTheNameIWant Thu 18-Jun-15 00:48:37

I haven't heard the name Rachel since I was at school with a few.
Probably 20-odd years ago...
But there are 4 in our village infant school.
Is Rachel making a comeback? Or is it a local thing...?

mrstweefromtweesville Thu 18-Jun-15 00:52:02

Rachael. A yearling ewe.

rallytog1 Thu 18-Jun-15 13:51:22

Probably local. My Rachel is 2yo and none of the midwives we saw during our prolonged hospital stay could remember another Rachel being born there in recent years.

MishMooshAndMogwai Thu 18-Jun-15 14:22:13

I don't know and little ones personally

My dp always said he'd wanted it for his daughter's name but had always has boys and not got the chance before he met me. Pregnant with our dc1 now and he won't get the chance because my mum and dad got there first! grin

SunnyBaudelaire Thu 18-Jun-15 14:26:49

I only know Rachels in their 40s but it is a pleasant change these days for little ones, among so many Millies, Tillies, and Billies

reuset Thu 18-Jun-15 15:39:25

It's still around (in the 200s in the name charts) but very slightly lower than last year. I guess it will plateau for a few years and not the sort of name to sink into obscurity. I know Rachels of all ages, young and old

BonnieNoClyde Thu 18-Jun-15 22:57:21

It is number 43 in Ireland, so it seems way more popular in Ireland than it does in the uk. I noticed this a while ago (as odd/interesting) because for other English names and classic names, the fashions match. The rankings wouldn't be exactly the same, but they'd be going in the same direction, up, or down. And there was Rachel in the top ten in Ireland fairly recently.

mrsmeerkat Thu 18-Jun-15 22:59:07

Know two in their 40s and one in their 20s so maybe it's local

AssembleTheMinions Thu 18-Jun-15 23:04:10

I know lots of all ages. From 70's down to an 8 year old. Lovely classic timeless name. Not keen on spelling it with the extra 'a' though. Much prefer Rachel.

BlueBananas Thu 18-Jun-15 23:12:16

My cousin has a baby Rachel...and she has a big brother called Brian!

Wafflenose Thu 18-Jun-15 23:13:05

I know a 9 year old Rachel.

Devora Thu 18-Jun-15 23:18:01

I don't know any little Rachels. I desperately wanted to call dd1 Rachel but my entire extended family united in horror, and I backed down. Kind of regret it now; I think it's a lovely name.

manicinsomniac Thu 18-Jun-15 23:57:23

I teach 2 - one is 12 and one is 10. Don't know any younger than that.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now