Talk

Advanced search

diffrent/unique boys names??

(14 Posts)
kyyc96 Mon 15-Jun-15 00:51:36

I am having a boy and I like the name donte but everyone keeps saying its a black mans name and I'm not black, so I'm trying to think of another name but I don't like any other names, like I don't like common names so I need a name that is rare but nice at the same time can anyone help for suggestions??

reuset Mon 15-Jun-15 01:01:51

Do you mean Dante or Donte?

Never heard that before, and it's very odd I must say. Why shouldn't you use Dante or Donte if that's your taste.

AngryBeaver Mon 15-Jun-15 01:02:37

I think you might mean Dante.

florascotia Mon 15-Jun-15 11:09:25

The poet Dante was Italian. He's the sort of Italian equivalent to Shakespeare in status and reputation. His full name was Dante Alighieri - Dante was was possibly a short form of 'Durante'.

There was Victorian British painter of Italian ancestry named Dante Gabriel Rosetti, in the poet's honour.

Both were world-class artistic people - Dante would be a very inspirational name to give a child!

PS I'd be very, very unhappy about the idea that some names should only be used by people of one particular skin colour. There is only one race, the human race!

SurlyCue Mon 15-Jun-15 11:12:03

I have heard of Dante in the film Dante's Peak. That is the only reference i have.

I like it. If you like it, use it. Names are very personal.

Justwhy Mon 15-Jun-15 11:24:17

Well I just put Donte in to Facebook and got a long list of black American men. I don't, however, think this is a problem. If you like the name then use it!

PallasCat Mon 15-Jun-15 19:42:21

Dante is a strong, beautiful boys name. Unusual in that it's rare, but with an inspiring history. No name is race-restricted. It's lovely - go for it! grin

Snowflake15 Mon 15-Jun-15 19:49:45

I like Dante, but here are some other suggestions for you:

Deon
Asher
Roman
Fabian
Malachi
Rudy
Remy
Zane
Nico
Rocco

Snowflake15 Mon 15-Jun-15 19:56:35

Also the thing is with a unique name that it is going to be a bit love hate! My chosen name has divided opinion so I've decided not to tell anyone until baby's born, they will be too in love with my gorgeous bubba to criticise grin

sweetpeame Tue 16-Jun-15 07:16:03

Did you mean Dante? I know a mixed race Dante, I wouldn't say it lends itself to any racial group particularly though. Strange avenue to go down... It's not a name I especially like but can't see a problem with a non-black child being called Dante. Never heard of Donte if that's really what you were asking about.

kyyc96 Wed 17-Jun-15 22:47:09

Thanks and yes I did mean dante x

kyyc96 Wed 17-Jun-15 22:52:46

Thankyou all you have really helped tbh and yeah I also like nico! But the father doesn't want that name he wants donte/dante even though I was the one to suggest it so yeah I think I will go with donte and ignore what people say xx

BellMcEnd Wed 17-Jun-15 22:57:37

I know both a Dante and a Donte just to confuse matters! Stuff the colour thing. My children are mixed race and have Hebrew names. One of the names I liked for a girl (I have boys) is a very traditional Nigerian name. There's not a drop of Jewish or African blood in either me or DH grin. If you like a name, go for it! Someone will always have an opinion. Nod and smile........

BowiesJumper Wed 17-Jun-15 23:06:07

Dante is nicer than Donte I would say!! I like it though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now