Talk

Advanced search

Roddy? Shortened to Ro?

(27 Posts)
luckiestgirlintheworld Sun 14-Jun-15 14:28:27

Due in August with DS2.
I really like the nick name Ro and am wondering what I could call DS that could legitimately be shortened to that. (I don't want to just call him Ro officially).

I really like rare names though, so I'm thinking Roman and Rowan are too common.
And really it wants to be a traditional English name to fit with his three brothers.

What do you think of Roddy? And could I get away with calling him Ro?

whitershadeofpale Sun 14-Jun-15 14:31:08

It's not my cup of tea but it seems odd to me having a nickname for a name that's a nickname in itself. How about Roderick?

fiveacres Sun 14-Jun-15 14:31:35

Roddy is already a diminutive.

I'm not sure where you live that Roman is too popular grin

I think Roddy or Roderick is nice but I'm not convinced if 'ro' is what you want as its a short 'o' sound unlike the longer 'o' sound in Roman or Ronan.

SwedishEdith Sun 14-Jun-15 14:32:50

Roland?

luckiestgirlintheworld Sun 14-Jun-15 14:41:22

Roland does fit, I'm just not sure if I like it.

MargaretRiver Sun 14-Jun-15 14:47:31

Would you not be better with a name with a Ro ( rhyming with toe) in it rather than a ro as in Ron/Rod/Rob which does not sound like that at all

Such as
Nero
Hero
Spero

MargaretRiver Sun 14-Jun-15 14:52:27

Or the more British (OK Scottish) Munro / Monroe

luckiestgirlintheworld Sun 14-Jun-15 14:55:53

Margeret I hadn't even thought of that- that could be a good way around it.
Are there any English versions though? Where the Ro comes at the end?
I like Monroe but will have to google it as I've never heard of it.

Stinkersmum Sun 14-Jun-15 14:55:53

I do not understand this whole picking a name because you like the short version.... You want to call your child Ro? Then call him Ro!

And no, Roddy is not a good excuse to call your child Ro.

Valsoldknickers Sun 14-Jun-15 14:58:21

If you fancy an Irish name Ronan is the recognised long name for Ro in my neck of the woods.smile

florascotia Sun 14-Jun-15 15:05:08

Agree with previous posters that (a) Roddy is short for Roderick and (b) does not sound like Ro.

What about Roden? Or Rogan? Or Roscoe?

I like MargaretRiver's suggestions, though Hero was originally a female name.

luckiestgirlintheworld Sun 14-Jun-15 15:11:06

It doesn't bother me at all that Roddy is already a shortened name. I know it winds some people up, but I don't think I mind it.

It is seeming unpopular that I would change the sound of Roddy to call him Ro. I know it doesn't slip out naturally, I'm just wondering if it would sound weird to people, and it sounds like it would.

I do want to stick with an English name though...

Bonnefoi Sun 14-Jun-15 15:14:51

Rowan?

reuset Sun 14-Jun-15 16:00:59

Rowan is a good suggestion, and it works. Not keen on Roddy

TheGirlOnTheLanding Sun 14-Jun-15 16:20:57

Rory?

EhricLovesTheBhrothers Sun 14-Jun-15 16:24:19

Ro is a pretty terrible nickname anyway and it really doesn't flow from Roddy. Roddy is also pretty terrible. If you really like Ro then please pick a nicer long name.

fiveacres Sun 14-Jun-15 16:29:53

Now I like Roddy - but Ro?

Rowan is universally loved on here.

I hate it.

holmessweetholmes Sun 14-Jun-15 16:32:15

Agree that Roddy doesn't naturally shorten to Ro. I've known of a couple of people shortened to Ro, but they've both been short for Rosemary!

Kim82 Sun 14-Jun-15 16:36:14

I have a friend called Rohan who's name is shortened to Ro. I don't know any other people with the name so it's not popular as far as I'm aware.

CakeRattleandRoll Sun 14-Jun-15 17:30:57

Roald (as in Dahl)
Romeo

Jethro
Hiro (I think Hero is a girl's name)

There are lots of Spanish/Italian names ending in 'ro' - Pedro, Alessandro, etc.

Sophronia Sun 14-Jun-15 18:05:15

Robert or Robin nn Ro?

Also...

Roderick
Rodolph
Rocco
Ronald
Rodion
Ross
Ronan
Ambrose
Jerome

luckiestgirlintheworld Sun 14-Jun-15 18:26:00

Thanks for the suggestions. The only one I really like is Rowan, which is lovely, I just have a few in my area so I'm not keen on how popular it is.

I do love the name Roddy. What is surprising me is that although you are all unanimous in not liking Ro as a nickname, I'm still really fond of it and think it doesn't matter that doesn't flow from the SOUND of Roddy, because at least it is the first two letters when written.
What I mean is, you've helped me realise how strongly I like it (even though none of you do!)

There must be other nicknames we use that don't naturally flow from the full name...

Frenchmustard7 Sun 14-Jun-15 18:33:18

Ronnie Ronald

Sophronia Sun 14-Jun-15 18:37:41

I do like Ro as a nn but I much prefer Rowan to Roddy.

SunshineAndShadows Mon 15-Jun-15 11:10:50

Toddy is a pretty terrible name for an adult man to carry off.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now