Totally unusal spellings for common names?

(161 Posts)

I was just wondering what unusual spellings of totally common names that you have heard. I've come across a Khatlynne and an Ezykile.

FATEdestiny Sun 14-Jun-15 00:44:53

I know a "KC" (pronounced: Casey).

Bet that's fun for teachers (and in the future job interviewers) reading it for the first time. hmm

BikeRunSki Sun 14-Jun-15 00:48:03

Aimiee (I realise that Aimee is a legitimate spelling, but this has more "i"s).

mayfridaycomequickly Sun 14-Jun-15 00:53:41

I know a Summa - pronounced Summer

TheJunctionBaby Sun 14-Jun-15 01:05:21

I know an emilei, pronounced Emily confused

FATEdestiny - Personally, I don't like the spelling of Casey as much as I do KC. Some other ways I've seen it spelled were these.
Cace
Casi
Kace
Cece- The woman who used this name claimed that it was pronounced like KC and not CC.
Casia- And the woman who used this name claimed that the S was silent.
Caecee
Caeceigh
Caesi
Caisi
Kayceigh
Kaeceigh
I have mostly passed by these names on websites. I have a fetish for baby names, especially unusual and unique baby names, seeing as I am an aspiring writer.

BikeRunSki - Aimiee is a pretty name, though the spelling Amy isn't my favorite. I have seen it spelled these ways.
Aame
Aemei
Aimee
Aimei
Amee
Aimee
Aymei

mayfridaycomequickly - That name is...interesting, but it is definitely not a favorite on my part. I prefer Summer. In a text once, one of my friends spelled it Sumr. When I corrected her, she disagreed and said, "that's how my cousin spells it." I was very surprised.

TheJunctionBaby - Emily is a name that I like to play around with. I love the spelling Emilei. I also like these, though some may be pretty out there.
Emmahleigh
Emmalee
Emmelee
Emmileigh

Thessaly is also another name that I've come across. It is quite an unusual name, but I suppose it works.

FennyBridges Sun 14-Jun-15 07:07:08

I met a Cerah (Sarah)

MythicalKings Sun 14-Jun-15 07:07:16

I'm not a fan. I assume the parents don't know how to spell it properly and feel a bit sorry for the child.

I've taught some glaring examples.

thatstoast Sun 14-Jun-15 07:13:24

I'm sure I read an article once about children with 'unique' spellings having poorer life outcomes. It may have been in the mail though so not necessarily the most reliable source.

I also read about a girl called Lime, like the fruit, but it was prounced Lima, like the capital of Peru.

Cloggal Sun 14-Jun-15 08:18:42

Klayre. For real.

reuset Sun 14-Jun-15 08:36:03

Unusual? Let's call a spade shall we. Just plain incorrect, fabricated, or misguided attempts at 'uniqueness' grin

Recently Marther but I'll be able to think of more I'm sure.

Greymalkin Sun 14-Jun-15 08:43:04

Mhairi = Mary hmm

AnythingNotEverything Sun 14-Jun-15 08:48:16

Mhairi might be unusual to your ears but is a genuine gaelic name. Not at all comparable to Aimiee IMO.

Springtimemama Sun 14-Jun-15 08:50:05

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ragged Sun 14-Jun-15 09:24:10

My dad & I both have funny made up spellings. Think Serra and Eeeun. We've done alright. wink

Clueing4looks Sun 14-Jun-15 09:29:03

Kali (for Kayleigh)
Lilie.
Samanther.
Nataly.
Leighsa.

FlyDragonfly1 Sun 14-Jun-15 09:35:18

I've met:
Aymiee (Amy)
Meaghann (Megan)
Jaclyn (Jacqueline)
Lili (Lily)
Sumer (Summer)
Jaysin (Jason)
Johnathon (Jonathan)

Amongst others confused

Cloggal Sun 14-Jun-15 09:50:08

I'm all in favour of unique names, all in favour of spelling names in ways that others might not understand (traditional spellings from languages other than English, for example). But to take a traditional or simple name and spell it very differently, while pronouncing it exactly the same, just strikes me as making things difficult for no reason.

Each to their own of course, as with all name threads, but I think if you really like being different, don't pick a traditional name, find an unusual one you love and spell it clearly. If you like Emilei OP, I would say to you either stick with a reasonably established spelling of Emily/Emilie or look at a more unusual name that looks more like what you like, so Lorelei or Leilani, or Emmeline?

Cloggal Sun 14-Jun-15 09:55:01

Haha ragged I've got a really popular name of its time and so have I - changed days smile

Sophronia Sun 14-Jun-15 10:11:34

I know a Xzanthy (Xanthe)

pieceofpurplesky Sun 14-Jun-15 10:23:41

Mhairi, Aimee and Meaghan are all correct versions although Aimee should be pronounced A-May as it is French.
Kate-Lynne
Payge
Maci
Cloey

All children I have taught

Lunastarfish Sun 14-Jun-15 11:08:29

Mhairi is pronounced Va-ree though isn't it? It's not pronounced Mary.

HoldenCaulfield80 Sun 14-Jun-15 11:10:51

I once taught an Ondray.

paxtecum Sun 14-Jun-15 11:11:05

It's nothing new.
I know a 70 year old Lynda.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now