Talk

Advanced search

Theo - massive surge in popularity?

(21 Posts)
AnythingNotEverything Fri 12-Jun-15 08:22:47

We have two potential boy names - Reuben and Theo.

I thought we were set on Theo, but I've met 2 newborn Theos in the last fortnight. I'm due imminently.

I don't really want something super popular (DD's name is out of the top 1000) but am not sure if this is just a last minute wobble.

How many baby Theos do you know of?

Autumndays14 Fri 12-Jun-15 08:29:59

A few - it's very popular. Reuben is a current name too, but not as much as Theo. however, if you love a name go for it anyway! My sons is and will always be a top 10 name. I don't care as it's a timeless name rather than a trend name. But he'll never be the only one in his class! Somehow, with such a traditional name you don't notice duplicates so much.

PontyGirl Fri 12-Jun-15 08:48:43

Theo was on my list and thankfully I had DD, so didn't use it. I say thankfully because although it is a lovely name (I think I saw a thread on here once and a MNer had a son called Theo, she nicknamed him Theodorable grin grin grin ) every newborn boy in my neck of the woods is either Theo, Theodore or Teddy! and some of them are, erm, a wee bit chavvy

RedToothBrush Fri 12-Jun-15 08:51:43

You have the same problem with both.

I know two Theos and one Reuben born in the last year.

Reuben was ranked 54th in 2013 (I suspect it will be higher in the 2014 stats when they are released). Theo was 41st and Theodore was 78th (so their combined total puts it more like top 30). Again I suspect its rising and will be higher in 2014 and 2015 stats.

I think most people I know who have had boys recently have had one or both in their shortlists.

whatsagoodusername Fri 12-Jun-15 08:54:52

I know a 4yo Theo.

The only Reuben I've ever met was a kid in my class when I was about 12. Really disliked him, but I disliked all boys at that age wink

MyNameIsSuz Fri 12-Jun-15 08:57:11

I know quite a few of both I'm afraid, I'd say Theo was more popular though.

playingup Fri 12-Jun-15 08:58:27

I have a Theo. He's 3 years old.

I love his name, obviously smile

But the surge in popularity is a bit annoying. 2 days after he was born robbie Williams named his daughter Theodora. Which pissed me right off irrational

Justwhy Fri 12-Jun-15 09:08:08

I love Theo and would use it regardless. It's a strong yet soft.

playingup Fri 12-Jun-15 09:35:53

I just love the sound it makes, with the O at the end. And it's quite cute when children pronounce the Th as F. Feo grin

autumnmoon Fri 12-Jun-15 10:13:41

It sounds like both Theo and Reuben are having a bit of a surge at the moment. In terms of babies born in last couple of years, I know one of each. But they are lovely names so perhaps wouldn't let it put you off.

reuset Fri 12-Jun-15 12:16:25

names.darkgreener.com/#theo
names.darkgreener.com/#theodore

Theo is top 50, Theodore is top 100. Combined makes it quite populat nationally. I know a few (but not lots) as you'd expect

Good names, and popularity doesn't bother me personally

luckiestgirlintheworld Fri 12-Jun-15 12:19:38

Theo is massively popular. There was a thread recently where everyone named the last 3 boys they know born, and Theo was easily the most frequent name. And it was a massive thread. Sorry!

playingup Fri 12-Jun-15 12:20:49

It's okay. It's a great name, that's why! grin

squoosh Fri 12-Jun-15 13:09:05

Both names are definitely having a surge at the moment. They're almost equally matched I'd say.

names.darkgreener.com/#theo (243 to 41)
names.darkgreener.com/#reuben (200 to 54)

outtolunchagain Fri 12-Jun-15 13:19:24

Both my sons have friends called Theo, one is 13 and the other we , I would say it's a classic

outtolunchagain Fri 12-Jun-15 13:19:48

Not sure why that changed to we , meant to say 21

JohnFarleysRuskin Fri 12-Jun-15 13:25:09

I love theo but avoided it because I thought there'd be 'a surge of popularity'- the theo Walcott affect- 8 yrs ago!?

I think when you love a name you do think - everyone's gonna love this name! - not necessarily true!

AnythingNotEverything Fri 12-Jun-15 20:09:19

Thanks all. I'd already checked darkgreener (bloody love that website) but will check out that last 3 boys thread.

I suppose we need to decide how important popularity is. We didn't want popular for DD but seem less bothered this time. Maybe it feels different for a boy (although we don't know what we're having).

MrsTatum1980 Fri 12-Jun-15 20:12:40

3 Theo's in our baby group (out of 12 boys) The mother's do pursed lips when we sing the greeting song and strategically sit apart! No Reuben's, I like the name Theo but it is very popular around here.

fionadal Sat 13-Jun-15 19:47:38

Very popular in SE. I know 4 under 6.

ragged Sat 13-Jun-15 19:50:51

I don't like Theo (you probably hate my DS's names too, fair enough). So I notice a lot of them around. Reuben don't like that either, shoot me now is much less common but still around.

Try John or Ian if you want a truly unusual name for your son.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now